RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

'05 RX330 blows hot air inconsistently

Old 10-28-11, 10:25 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Servos

Good luck on getting your car fixed.

I have been on the Clublexus RX Forums since I bought my first RX300 in 2004. And I have never heard of a Heater Core going bad.

Check your servos. If you take them loose. You can adjust them by hand. And see the difference in the air ouput.

It is a know problem on every model of Lexus cars.
Old 10-31-11, 07:09 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quantfutur
Thanks, MC5Wes.. Took the car to a mechanic today who looked at it briefly; he thinks it's either the thermostat, water pump (replaced 15k miles ago with timing belt), or a blocked heater core. Called another mechanic who was recommended and he said 9 times out of 10, flushing the heater core takes care of the problem. Big bucks if the heater core is leaking. I too thought it might be a servo; probably the cooling servo. What symptoms did you have that led you to the servo motors?

Will take it to the 2nd mechanic in a few days and get an assessment. From what I've read on this forum, repair/replacing the heater core is a huge job, so hoping it isn't that....
Mechanics say whatever they able to do - they usually not good with electronics, computers or small mechanics (like servo motors and air doors mechanics). But they can flash coolant or replace radiator easily.
It doesn't mean they are wrong, but usually a person doesn't take into consideration whatever he/she doesn't understand.
So be careful, ask a proof that this is the exact issue.
BTW, those servos and small gears wear up and some people complain about unstable heating/cooling because of them at older cars, especially when owner always sets up climate control on auto.
Good luck with fixing the issue.
Old 11-03-11, 06:21 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Default repair or replace leaking radiator?

Originally Posted by gusar
Mechanics say whatever they able to do - they usually not good with electronics, computers or small mechanics (like servo motors and air doors mechanics). But they can flash coolant or replace radiator easily.
It doesn't mean they are wrong, but usually a person doesn't take into consideration whatever he/she doesn't understand.
So be careful, ask a proof that this is the exact issue.
BTW, those servos and small gears wear up and some people complain about unstable heating/cooling because of them at older cars, especially when owner always sets up climate control on auto.
Good luck with fixing the issue.
Thanks, Gusar. Took car back to the mechanic. Seemed fairly clear that the coolant filled last Monday had run to low 9 days later. He says it's the radiator, leaking on the side. Said he can see the coolant running down. And his wife has a Sienna and hers is leaking in the exact same way.... Heat is fine when there is coolant; iffy when it is low, so I guess this is the answer.

Question now is: do I replace the radiator or try to have it repaired? Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 11-04-11, 07:51 AM
gusar
Driver

Thanks, Gusar. Took car back to the mechanic. Seemed fairly clear that the coolant filled last Monday had run to low 9 days later. He says it's the radiator, leaking on the side. Said he can see the coolant running down. And his wife has a Sienna and hers is leaking in the exact same way.... Heat is fine when there is coolant; iffy when it is low, so I guess this is the answer.

Question now is: do I replace the radiator or try to have it repaired? Thoughts? Thanks.
Don't think repair will last. And it's expensive as well. Have you seen leakage yourself? Could it be air pockets? After I bought my RX I added coolant two times, about 2 litres. After that the level held. I think there were air pockets and air eventually went out.
Old 11-04-11, 08:42 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a TSB on this. Have the dealer run the VIN number on the car. If covered they would replace it for free. See more info on this posting:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ator-leak.html
Old 11-07-11, 06:21 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Default definitely leaking radiator

Gusar, thanks for the suggestion of the air pockets but unfortunately I have seen the evidence of a leak.. and two mechanics have confirmed it now (I seek 2nd opinions for major repairs since I don't have much knowledge). Have filled up coolant 4 times in the past 2 weeks. Is low again after 3-4 days. Am having radiator replaced today or tomorrow.

Rainbird, thanks - I did call 800-Lexus and my vehicle is one of the affected ones, but they won't help because it is out of warranty. Oh well.....
Old 11-07-11, 07:16 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Gusar, thanks for the suggestion of the air pockets but unfortunately I have seen the evidence of a leak.. and two mechanics have confirmed it now (I seek 2nd opinions for major repairs since I don't have much knowledge). Have filled up coolant 4 times in the past 2 weeks. Is low again after 3-4 days. Am having radiator replaced today or tomorrow.

Rainbird, thanks - I did call 800-Lexus and my vehicle is one of the affected ones, but they won't help because it is out of warranty. Oh well.....
So, how many miles are on your RX?
Old 11-07-11, 08:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Didnt read all of the posts, but have you performed the electronic A/C diagnostic test?
Old 11-07-11, 10:29 AM
gusar
Driver

Yeah, I know. Tried Lexus to flash the transmission memory (TSB as well) with new firmware (have sometimes hesitation and uneven shifting at low speed), but same response - out of warranty and mileage over something (don't remember that threshold point) - I declined doing this for money. Not much issue anyway and they even didn't guarantee improvement.
Old 11-10-11, 09:36 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by redrocks
So, how many miles are on your RX?
116k miles
Old 11-10-11, 09:37 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexus114
Didnt read all of the posts, but have you performed the electronic A/C diagnostic test?

I think the first mechanic I took it to did this; at any rate they showed me where the coolant is leaking on the side of the radiator. And it has been filled several times in the past few weeks, only to drop to low within a week....
Old 11-11-11, 02:42 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going to first apologize for not reading this entire post through but I honestly just want to tell you how I fixed this issue on my car and if it has already been explained, i'm sorry.

Went to mechanic, told him what was happening (hot blows sometimes) no pun intended, and he checked coolant... Coolant happened to be very low, he filled said coolant and now hot air all the time...

-Joe
Old 11-14-11, 11:18 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jamodeo
I am going to first apologize for not reading this entire post through but I honestly just want to tell you how I fixed this issue on my car and if it has already been explained, i'm sorry.

Went to mechanic, told him what was happening (hot blows sometimes) no pun intended, and he checked coolant... Coolant happened to be very low, he filled said coolant and now hot air all the time...

-Joe
Jamodeo, thanks. My coolant had run low several times in the past few weeks so had the radiator replaced this weekend; bought the part online for 1/2 what local shops wanted, and paid $150 for labor installed. So far, so good. Btw, how many miles on your vehicle?
Old 11-16-11, 11:46 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Have gone back to mechanic twice since Saturday (every 2 days) for a small amount of coolant and to have him check it. He says is definitely not leaking but apparently needs to add coolant a few times to fill up all the pipes. Does this sound right?

(Btw, I watched the whole job, the part before installed, etc. Seemed he did a thorough job of it. ) Thanks.
Old 11-16-11, 12:11 PM
MC5Wes

Default Coolant

There is a special way to flush out and service the Lexus coolant. To get rid of the air in the system.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '05 RX330 blows hot air inconsistently