RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Navigation Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 05:16 AM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Navigation Question

While on a trip recently, I noticed my 2009 RX's navigation is going to split screen and showing upcoming rest areas and each off ramp on the right screen. A destination was put in. I've never seen this before, although it is kind of neat.

Can anyone tell me how this happens or what is going on?

Thanks!!

Neal
Old 10-20-11, 06:31 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nav Screen

Depending on what you selected on your Navigation Screen. Thats what you will have displayed.

When you put in the destination. You can choose what is displayed. Arrival time to your destination. Or split screens. Exits. You just need to choose.
Old 10-20-11, 11:42 AM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
Depending on what you selected on your Navigation Screen. Thats what you will have displayed.

When you put in the destination. You can choose what is displayed. Arrival time to your destination. Or split screens. Exits. You just need to choose.
I guess I should read and try to understand the destructions on the Destination part. I haven't quite fingered out what to do after the destination is entered. I usually just start driving, and the lady starts talking to me, usually telling me to "make a legal u-turn..."
Old 10-20-11, 12:16 PM
koric
Driver

Originally Posted by nmtomcat
I guess I should read and try to understand the destructions on the Destination part. I haven't quite fingered out what to do after the destination is entered. I usually just start driving, and the lady starts talking to me, usually telling me to "make a legal u-turn..."
My navi always self destruct if I try fingering it incorrectly. Something about destination is lost. Then I have to start all over again.
Old 10-24-11, 09:05 AM
RoverBoi88
Pole Position

I have the problem where the screen is uberly bright at night... is there a way that this nav can go into night time mode?
Old 10-24-11, 10:02 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverBoi88
I have the problem where the screen is uberly bright at night... is there a way that this nav can go into night time mode?
You have the dash lights dimmer switch set to the locked high position. Turn it to a lower setting.
Old 10-24-11, 02:39 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by nmtomcat
While on a trip recently, I noticed my 2009 RX's navigation is going to split screen and showing upcoming rest areas and each off ramp on the right screen. A destination was put in. I've never seen this before, although it is kind of neat.

Can anyone tell me how this happens or what is going on?

Thanks!!

Neal
When you input destinations into the Navigation System there is a selection to use all available freeways. If you don't select this option many times the system will try to exit you through every town and back road on the way.
Old 10-27-11, 01:00 PM
RoverBoi88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rainbird
You have the dash lights dimmer switch set to the locked high position. Turn it to a lower setting.
is that why its soooo bright?? if i clicked it off that **** on lock, would the screen go into night time mode?
Old 10-27-11, 01:17 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by RoverBoi88
is that why its soooo bright?? if i clicked it off that **** on lock, would the screen go into night time mode?
Yes, that is what you need to do.
Old 10-27-11, 01:21 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When you input destinations into the Navigation System there is a selection to use all available freeways. If you don't select this option many times the system will try to exit you through every town and back road on the way.
Damn. that's probably true of my Garmin as well. It tries to take me off the freeway through every little town I pass. Thanks!
Old 10-27-11, 04:46 PM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by Carver
Damn. that's probably true of my Garmin as well. It tries to take me off the freeway through every little town I pass. Thanks!
The reason this happens is that the Navigation System will use the roads of shortest distance to your destination. That is not always the freeway or interstate. The freeway will in many cases loop around the town and would have the longer distance. If you follow the Navigation you can end up on a two lane winding road with many stop lights. I speak from experience, it happened to me.
Old 10-27-11, 04:59 PM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Smile

The reason this happens is that the Navigation System will use the roads of shortest distance to your destination. That is not always the freeway or interstate. The freeway will in many cases loop around the town and would have the longer distance. If you follow the Navigation you can end up on a two lane winding road with many stop lights. I speak from experience, it happened to me.
Thanks for the information, but the navigation system does not guide me off the route that I am on. It only shows the exits and rest areas on a split screen to the right. If there is a turn coming up on the route, it shows another split screen. I said I would read the instructions, but haven't done so yet.

Thanks again!

Neal
Old 10-28-11, 12:07 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
There is also a selection to avoid toll roads. That can mess things up as well.
Old 10-28-11, 01:00 AM
RoverBoi88
Pole Position

Yes, that is what you need to do.
gottttt ittt!!!! thank you sir!
Old 11-03-11, 06:26 PM
sant
Driver School Candidate

I have the 2012 RX350. I used the navigation for a first time. I started towards my destination and once I got on to the familiar roads, I couldn't figure out how to stop the navigation. I'll try to read the manual in the next couple of days. I didn't see an obvious option to stop the navigation. It was dark and the car being new, I didn't want to get distracted in figuring out all the options. I did see an option to delete the destination. I didn't want to delete it.

Any pointers?

Thx

Quick Reply: Navigation Question