RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Unbelievable problem rx 350 2009

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 12:26 PM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today is Monday. I just dropped the RX off at Lexus. I honestly do not think anyone is going to believe this. I do not blame them. Wife picked up the car on Friday late afternoon. As I said in beautiful condition. Parked in the driveway and did little over the weekend. Sunday drove it to the store and back. This time parked on our very gentle slope of a driveway in a very quiet neighborhood. She got out of the car removed the groceries. I watched as the car started rolling down the driveway very slowly. Not wanting to believe what I was seeing and knowing there is no way I can run out the front door to catch it or stop it I just watched in disbelief. I ran out the front door and looking to see no kids, dogs, walking neighbors etc would get run over by the car, I ran to the end of the driveway as the car rolled across the street, jumped the curb and the back wheels in my neighbors front yard. No damage to anything. My first reaction is she left the car in gear but that can't be because she removed the groceries. I got in the car and it was clearly in park. I put my key in and tried to start it. It would not start. I moved the gear shift to drive and then to park. No start.
I put the car in N neutral. It started. I drove it back up the drive and place it in P park and it started rolling backwards again. I shut the car off and for the first time in my life used the parking brake.
It stayed put. With the car off I released the parking brake and it started to roll down the drive again.
I put my foot on the brake to stop it. I then tried starting the car in P park again. Lights on does not start or turn over. Foot on brake still not turning over. Foot on brake car in N neutral. It starts.
I move the shift to R reverse. Does not engage. Hmmm. Bottom line is this. P park. Does not start and will roll. Car in N neutral. Car will start and when placed in D drive will drive forward.
Car in R reverse. Nothing. I had to let it roll down the drive to take it to Lexus this morning at 7 am. Ted the manager was in his office. Looked up and put his head on his desk. I told him the problems and he said I was hoping over the weekend that I would never see you again. I said me too. Got a loaner. All I could picture is after they put my car back together the last time and drove it out. There was a box of extra parts they could not remember where they came from.
Just like a toy on Christmas morning or something bought at IKEA.
Humor aside. What would have happened or could have happened to the car, my family or whoever the car hit? What cop or insurance company would believe it was the car and not the drivers fault for leaving it in D drive.. There ya go folks. The saga continues. I think it may be time I called my lawyer just in case.
--
Old 10-31-11, 12:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RMB350
I do have a question though. Does the E85 nozzle even fit in a non E85 vehicle? I thought I pulled up to a E85 station by mistake once and couldn't fill up as the nozzle was too big.
While the diesel nozzle is larger, the E85 nozzle is the same size as the regular formulations of gasoline. If you have a flex-fuel vehicle you can run E85 as well as regular gas. However, you cannot put E85 in a vehicle not designed for such without problems. So, the nozzle needs to fit the regular fuel opening without allowing for diesel to be pumped by mistake.
Old 10-31-11, 12:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joeybowtie
All I could picture is after they put my car back together the last time and drove it out.
Probably finished late in the day and never fully tested as it should have been. When they pulled the engine for the rebuild it was obviously not reassembled with the transmission and linkage proper.

Have you called Lexus Customer Service regarding the first instance? At this point I might be telling them to keep the vehicle and refund your money or replace with a newer or upgraded model in the interest of customer service. This being Lexus Corporate and not the dealer.
Old 10-31-11, 05:01 PM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

I did call Lexus Corporate on the first one. They had the car for 3 weeks so I would not say that was the problem. There has been no mention of the fuel problem they said was the cause the first time. I am pretty nervous about this car at this time. The car rolling away in park is a big concern of mine. That had the potential to cause injury of a death and that would have landed at my feet and insurance. I would have had to prove that one in court if I had been sued. I actually do not know what to do. They called and said it was a loose bolt on the gear shift and nothing critical. Very concerned at this point. I am not asking for something for nothing but now I have the nagging doubt in my head about her driving around with my daughter.
Old 10-31-11, 08:06 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call Lexus corporate, call your lawyer, have a sit down with a rep from Lexus corporate with your lawyer, let Lexus know you are concerned about the craftmanshipnof the car, quality work at the dealer, and are not getting back in that car. Would you be comfortable with your wife driving it now? Ask the rep?
it will be a long process, but well worth it at the end.

a life could have been lost, a family member, you want that car back? Do you really believe it was a loose bolt?
if it was what else might they have accidentally forgot to screw in.
Old 11-01-11, 07:58 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, how more "bolts" they missed?
If you can afford its time for legal stuff to kick in...
Need this sh.t documented though. Witnesses, pictures, e-mails...
Old 11-01-11, 11:15 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

oh no.....

call lexus corp and see if they are willing to buyback your RX and get a new one?

good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-02-11, 08:34 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Seems like an adjustment problem. If they did not get the shift linkage adjusted the transmission is not fully in park, that's why it will not start. The park/neutral starter lockout will not let the engine start unless it is completely in park or neutral. I will guess that neutral has a little more latitude in the adjustment aspect of gear shift placement so you are able to start in neutral and not park. Not sure why your wife was able to get the key out of the ignition without the transmission being completely in park but that should also be addressed as that is also wrong. This seems to be a dealer/ mechanic problem so keep corporate involved and hold there feet to the fire.
Good luck and keep everyone here posted as to what happens.
Jeff
Old 11-05-11, 11:32 PM
soparkar
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel Type

I have question -

What type of fuel should be used for Lexus RX 330 or 350? I checked manual. It says 87 and above. And in the bracket it says, for better performance, 91 is recommended.

I searched online. Some articles mention that all the cars in US are designed to go with 87 and above except it has clearly written on the fuel nozzle to use 91 or above fuel grade. In other words, all premium cars have marketing gimmick and ask customers to use 91 or premium fuel type to show that their cars are premium.

Also my understanding says higher grade of fuel is required only if someone is paddling faster than usual for faster pick-ups. In that case, higher fuel grade will give better performance. If one does not drive like this, 87 and above fuel grade should surely work.
Old 11-06-11, 01:15 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soparkar
I have question -

What type of fuel should be used for Lexus RX 330 or 350? I checked manual. It says 87 and above. And in the bracket it says, for better performance, 91 is recommended.

I searched online. Some articles mention that all the cars in US are designed to go with 87 and above except it has clearly written on the fuel nozzle to use 91 or above fuel grade. In other words, all premium cars have marketing gimmick and ask customers to use 91 or premium fuel type to show that their cars are premium.

Also my understanding says higher grade of fuel is required only if someone is paddling faster than usual for faster pick-ups. In that case, higher fuel grade will give better performance. If one does not drive like this, 87 and above fuel grade should surely work.
If you search the forums here you will find a number of threads already existing on the topic of fuel for the RX. For a full discussion you should check out those sources here.

To answer your questions, some of the reasoning in your post is correct for the RX330, however, not for the 2nd generation RX350. The RX350 made prior to the recent 3rd generation update requires premium fuel according to the Owner's Manual. For the RX330 it is "recommended" for the reasons you stated, but you are not required to use premium.

As for your comment that "all premium cars have marketing gimmick and ask customers to use 91 or premium fuel type to show that their cars are premium" is false. There are many vehicles that simply will not run properly on regular gas or lower octane that what is asked. For example, many turbo vehicles require premium fuel. Put regular 87 octane in a Subaru WRX or a VW Golf R and see how far you will get before the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. Do you consider those "luxury?" If you use 91 or 93 octane fuel in an RX330 you will notice better performance and possibly better MPG than with 87 octane fuel. So, if you feel you are getting poor MPG you might try switching to a higher octane fuel to see if things improve. Would take a few tanks to get enough data to make an informed decision.

Then of course there is the conversation about premium fuels having more detergents in them than regular octane fuels.

Finally, ask yourself the following...

Say you just purchased a Lexus. Why would you cheap out trying to save a few bucks on a tank of gas ($0.30 * 15 gal = $4.50) to use less that what it needs? If it says you must use 91 or 93 octane there is a reason why they are saying this and it is not just all marketing hype. If it says you can use 87 octane then you have a choice.
Old 11-07-11, 04:35 PM
xconcepts
Driver School Candidate

Damn that sucks, what ever happened with the first $535 when it was taken in? Did they refund you?

Least it was under warranty. My 2010 Buick Enclave that I bought used was extremely low on oil for at least a month when I bought it and I had to pay out of pocket $4400 for a new motor and install. Was told it was all slugged up and wasn't covered. I'm fighting with an attorney against the dealership, it wasn't a GM dealer but a local place in Jersey. GM said it shouldn't have even been sold...
Old 11-08-11, 10:30 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xconcepts
Damn that sucks, what ever happened with the first $535 when it was taken in? Did they refund you?

Least it was under warranty. My 2010 Buick Enclave that I bought used was extremely low on oil for at least a month when I bought it and I had to pay out of pocket $4400 for a new motor and install. Was told it was all slugged up and wasn't covered. I'm fighting with an attorney against the dealership, it wasn't a GM dealer but a local place in Jersey. GM said it shouldn't have even been sold...
No low oil light was on?
Old 11-08-11, 08:11 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joeybowtie
I did call Lexus Corporate on the first one. They had the car for 3 weeks so I would not say that was the problem. There has been no mention of the fuel problem they said was the cause the first time. I am pretty nervous about this car at this time. The car rolling away in park is a big concern of mine. That had the potential to cause injury of a death and that would have landed at my feet and insurance. I would have had to prove that one in court if I had been sued. I actually do not know what to do. They called and said it was a loose bolt on the gear shift and nothing critical. Very concerned at this point. I am not asking for something for nothing but now I have the nagging doubt in my head about her driving around with my daughter.
any update
Old 11-08-11, 08:59 PM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,
We are nearing the end of this twilight zone story. I called corporate. They said what do you expect us to do?
I told them I think you need to at least investigate the craftsmanship etc. Corporate said that the dealership along with Lexus have done all they can do. There was a problem and we fixed it. They created a problem and they repaired it. I tried to explain my wife is scared to death to drive it. They said talk to the dealer to see if you can get another car. I actually found the CEO of the main corporation Kevin Whalen. I talked to his assistant and they apologized for all the problems and they will make it right. 15 minutes later I get a call from Stuart Barnhorst, Fixed Operations Director Lexus of Las Vegas / Lexus of Henderson.
He had just spoken with Kevin and he was supposed to make sure all was done to make me happy. Awesome! I thought. lol
He invited my wife and I to come down and pick out a car and to meet with Bobby Kelley Sales Manager. He was going take back my car at a retail price and put us in a new car at wholesale price. All would be made right. I explained that the car had only one year left on the lease and a great deal had happened since she leased the car. Her credit score was not so good anymore after the real estate problems so many are having. He said don't worry about that just come on down and talk to Mr. Kelly. So Saturday we go down to the dealership.
We get to meet all the players. I am turned over to a salesman named Rocco.
Very nice chap and very pleasant. They took our car for appraisal and ran my wifes credit. Here is where it jumped the shark in my opinion. We were treated at that point as your average customer who has come to the end of their lease.
Rocco asked what kind of car we were looking for. My wife wanted another RX so he leads us out into the used car area. We have a 2009 RX350. He starts pointing out a 2006 RX, a 2007 RX, a 2008 Cadillac and similar used cars. I am a little puzzled at this point. I explained to Rocco she wanted something similar but at least a 2009 or better. He said he did not have anything in stock at that time but would keep his eyes out for something we might like and get back to us in a few weeks.
I can see this is going nowhere. I ask to talk to Mr Barnhorst. I am sorry he is on the phone. Out comes Mr. Kelly. My wife is in the showroom looking at new cars and Rocco goes over to her and asks her if she is really settled on a hatchback and should consider a sedan.
Mr. Kelly takes me into a cubicle to explain that my wifes credit score it will be difficult to do anything at this time. He explained that they would "If you choose to keep the RX, the offer from Lexus to extend the power train warranty to 8 years or 100,000 miles would still apply."
I told him I had no intention of keeping the vehicle and the one year left on the lease it would still be covered so why extend it? Now I am getting pretty pissed off at this point. Why did they invite me down there knowing full well they were not going to do anything? Some of the things I find out that Rocco was telling my wife along with why don't get a sedan or keep your car should not worry as it is "probably" fixed. He also told her to drive to the Henderson dealership to see what kind of used cars they had in stock. I explained to then it was my understanding you were going to take this car back and put us in new car or provide a car to drive until you find a suitable replacement. They said they could not provide a loaner as that is under the service department and they are not here today.
I said fine I will be here Monday for the loaner because she is refusing to drive this car. She has not problem with me driving her around in it but she is too scared to drive it. They said fine.
Monday comes I email Mr. Barnhorst. He emailed back this reply.

Dear Stuart and Robert,
I need to know if I can get the loaner until this deal is put together.
If this can't be arrange I will need to rent a car for Christine.
Please advise soonest.
Regards
Joe

Hi Joe,
Robert and I are meeting with the General Manager this afternoon. I will get in touch with you as soon as I have additional information.
Thanks,
Stuart

AT 3:12 PM I GET THIS REPLY

Dear Mr. Strahl,
Our management team met to discuss the best way to resolve the issue with the RX. We are offering to execute your option number two. Our dealership will buy out the lease on the RX350. This offer will be good for ten days from the date of this email.

If you choose to keep the RX, the offer from Lexus to extend the power train warranty to 8 years or 100,000 miles would still apply.

Our responsibility would end with purchasing the car.
Sincerely,
Stuart

I EMAILED BACK

Hi Joe,
Again I want to apologize for the issues with the RX. Lexus provides the warranty on the vehicle and they met their obligation by paying us to repair it. We caused the issue with the shifter linkage and we repaired it. We provided you with alternate transportation each time that we had your vehicle in our possession. Lexus and Lexus of Las Vegas have met their obligation.
As a form of customer goodwill we have offered to honor your request to buy the vehicle from you. Lexus has offered to extend the power train warranty to 8 years or 100,000 miles if you choose to keep it.
Sincerely,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
So your dealership is not going to accept any responsibility for what time, money and trouble this has all caused?
Do you think that is fair?
Joe

Hi Joe,
Our responsibility would end with purchasing the car.
Sincerely,
Stuart

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There it is. An apology and the kiss off. What about my time out of the office all this time? What about treating the customer with respect? Why go through all the motions and then try to sell you another car and make a profit?
Thanks Lexus of Nevada. For nothing.
I guess that is all there is. Call corporate? Why? What will they do? Spend money on a lawyer to do what? Send some letters for $2k?
If anyone out there has a better idea or if you think the offer to buy back the car and we are on our own is a good deal please tell me. I don't have the time or the resources to litigate anything. So I guess we live with it.
The End.
Old 11-09-11, 05:58 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

To be honest, I think they are giving you a fair deal. Take the buy-back offer, another RX will be the way to go.

I'm still a little shocked they didn't do anything to compensate for their lack of competent workers who left the transmission linkage not connected. But, hey, something worse could have happened, just be glad it didn't and move on. I don't think it's worth the time and energy to go through the whole legal thing, especially when they are offering to buy the RX back.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable problem rx 350 2009