RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Unbelievable problem rx 350 2009

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 07:18 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
What the heck does that even mean? "Traces of 85? 85 octane? WTH how do you get traces of an octane, as far as I know it all just makes a mix of octane. Example. 1/2 87 and half 93 would be a tank with roughly 90 octane. It't not like oil and vinigar. These people sound like crooks my friend.
Absolutely correct explanation. There is no such thing as "traces of 85" in gas possible. Gas can be tested for octane rate, or octane rate can be adjusted by additives, but no "traces" possible.
Old 10-13-11, 11:43 AM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Are you still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty of 4 years, 50,000 miles and power-train warranty of 6 years and 70,000 miles?

Did they somehow test the fuel?

What did they do for $535? 30,000 mile service?

If all this is true, this sets a new low for dealership service horror stories.
Tell me about it. Yes it is still under warranty.
J
Old 10-13-11, 11:47 AM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gusar
Absolutely correct explanation. There is no such thing as "traces of 85" in gas possible. Gas can be tested for octane rate, or octane rate can be adjusted by additives, but no "traces" possible.
He had a photograph of the test. It was like a test tube showing the fuel he said he took out of it.
He said regular fuel is lighter and it shows it sitting on top of the darker fuel.
He explained in detail to me how the two can't mix together and still wanted me to let them pull the tank. They wanted to do it again when they towed it in. They wanted to drain $60 worth of premium I just put in it.

He also advised me to go to a car parts store and buy fuel additives to help with the problem.
J
Old 10-13-11, 11:49 AM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
You are on the right track. Call Lexus Customer care and let them know your predicament and open up a case number. Good luck.
I called them the first time they did not seem concerned. Trust me. I can make people feel concerned.
J
Old 10-13-11, 11:50 AM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I am still not clear. Did you contact Lexus Corporate (1-800-25-LEXUS) and lodge a complaint with customer relations there? If not you need to. They are the only ones that can light a fire under this dealership and get this resolved.
Yes I did the first day.
J
Old 10-13-11, 12:12 PM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
This dealer needs to be taught. What the hell are they smoking?

It really stinks to know, there are still crap dealers like this. But, it happens to all companies. Make sure you report this to corporate, and have them handle it.
This dealer like many are owned by large companies like Ascent Automotive Group in Houston.
Google it and follow the trail of multiple companies and dealerships all the way to India. I have even met the guy a few times when I lived in NY but that was years ago and was shocked when I saw his name. Kevin Whalen. What sucks is you cant take it to another dealer.
They own it. lol.
As long as they get to the bottom of the problem. What would have happened if you are a single mom, or a woman customer that is a sweet nice person and just accepts what they tell you. (like my wife). She gets home and hands the bill to her husband and he blows his top. She knows. When she feels like she is getting the run around she calls me. The last thing they want is me in that dealership walking it up the line. All the way to Whalen if need be. If I had not raised h*** in that dealership I would have had another $450.00 bill for nothing, $1200+ new tires, a front end alignment and who knows what else. Once it is done...not much you can do about except sue.
Then nobody wins but the lawyers. You have to stop the BS before they do things. I understand you have to make money but come on! They are working on it on their dime which is cool. Fixed the windshield for free etc. I just feel sorry for the other poor suckers that took it and walked away.
Well, today it is Thursday noon. No call. No update. I will keep driving the nice loaner like Joie Chitwood or at least like a graduate of Bob Bondurants School of High Performance Driving.
(showing my age
J
Old 10-13-11, 12:24 PM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I am still not clear. Did you contact Lexus Corporate (1-800-25-LEXUS) and lodge a complaint with customer relations there? If not you need to. They are the only ones that can light a fire under this dealership and get this resolved.
Yes I did the first day.
J
Old 10-13-11, 01:09 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am certainly not taking their side, but is it possible E85 was accidentally put it the tank? I know your vehicle will not run properly on that. I saw on the map there are several E85 stations around Las Vegas.
Old 10-13-11, 06:20 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I was going to suggest what Adam said, Joey. I wonder if the dealer meant "traces of E-85." If so, that means traces of ethanol, as in E-10, commonly known as gasahol which many of us use. OF COURSE there would be traces of alcohol in there! I can't believe what they're saying to you, Joey! Good luck getting this squared away. I'm glad you're standing your ground with them.
Old 10-13-11, 06:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
I am certainly not taking their side, but is it possible E85 was accidentally put it the tank? I know your vehicle will not run properly on that. I saw on the map there are several E85 stations around Las Vegas.
Yes, that would make better sense. Not 85 octane, rather, E85 which is 85% alcohol and which cannot be put in a vehicle unless the engine is specifically designed to run it.
Old 10-13-11, 08:54 PM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

No call from them. Tomorrow will be a full week they have had the car. He told me Monday or Tuesday I can't remember which he said the vehicle is in pieces.
We shall see.
J
Old 10-14-11, 08:27 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeybowtie
He had a photograph of the test. It was like a test tube showing the fuel he said he took out of it.
He said regular fuel is lighter and it shows it sitting on top of the darker fuel.
He explained in detail to me how the two can't mix together and still wanted me to let them pull the tank. They wanted to do it again when they towed it in. They wanted to drain $60 worth of premium I just put in it.

He also advised me to go to a car parts store and buy fuel additives to help with the problem.
J
unless someone put some diesel fuel there... Don't think it's possible.
Old 10-14-11, 10:45 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gusar
unless someone put some diesel fuel there... Don't think it's possible.
If it was E85 you would notice the difference when compared to E10. I think Adamjeeps may have been on to something. Dealer was indicating E85 and not 85 octane.
Old 10-14-11, 10:50 AM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

My question is this...Lets say my wife put this E85 in the car. (I swear I have never heard the term until they told me) Filled it up. Ran the car until it was almost empty over a 10 days period. How would it run? Would it run?
What kind of damage would it do to the engine if any? I know what diesel fuel looks like. When he showed me the photo that is what it looked like to me. Diesel with clear fuel on top of it.
Old 10-14-11, 04:37 PM
joeybowtie
Driver School Candidate

Just got the call from the dealer. Today it has been a full week. He told me they will have the car until the end of next week maybe longer as they wait for parts. He told me the engine is fine as is the transmission. So I guess that eliminates the E85 problem.
He explained again it was a contaminated cooling system. All under warranty. He said the engine will need to be cleaned as coolant was every where. I know they will never tell the truth or the total truth but I have a feeling somebody added something to the cooling system that he was not supposed to. I remember years ago another wife ago actually and she had a car that she took in for service. Transmission was acting hinky. They were going to check everything including lube and oil change. She got the car back and got a call her mother was in the hospital (not life threatening) . Coworker took her to pick up her car and go. 3 hour drive to Chicago. 30 min later things started happening. She had to have the car towed off the highway. Transmission.
They actually put motor oil in the transmission instead of fluid. I do not know. Anything could happen I guess but at least they are taking care of whatever the problem is. Will let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable problem rx 350 2009