RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How much did you pay for 30k service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 05:54 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How much did you pay for 30k service?

Hello everyone. I went to a dealership in New Jersey and was curious to what other people are paying around the country?

For the 30K service the initial quote was $616 plus tax.

A big very thank you to SEWELL which I bought the cabin air filter, the engine air filter and break pad (which I didn't have to use yet) knocked it down a little over a hundred dollars. Sewell parts were cheaper than my local Auto Zone and PepBoys even with the shipping charges. I bought my own front wiper blades, but couldn't find the rear one by itself. Sewell only sells the complete set or I would of gotten it from them. I also used the dealership's internet coupon which was only $50 and the final price was $434.23

I owned the vehicle for about 3 months and bought it from an Acura dealer so I'm glad it was done and came back with a clean bill of health.
Old 09-24-11, 09:48 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the 30K service done at my local Toyota dealership. Everything in the Lexus Service Manual was done. Total cost was $289.
Old 09-25-11, 06:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
Hello everyone. I went to a dealership in New Jersey and was curious to what other people are paying around the country?

For the 30K service the initial quote was $616 plus tax.

A big very thank you to SEWELL which I bought the cabin air filter, the engine air filter and break pad (which I didn't have to use yet) knocked it down a little over a hundred dollars. Sewell parts were cheaper than my local Auto Zone and PepBoys even with the shipping charges. I bought my own front wiper blades, but couldn't find the rear one by itself. Sewell only sells the complete set or I would of gotten it from them. I also used the dealership's internet coupon which was only $50 and the final price was $434.23

I owned the vehicle for about 3 months and bought it from an Acura dealer so I'm glad it was done and came back with a clean bill of health.
The rear wiper is a direct replacement, get a 14" from your local auto store. Look for TRICO, they are exact. Pull out and replace, the whole unit.

If you are not a DIY person, take it to Toyota. 30K is a minor service, mostly check ups. It is just an oil change and filter changes.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-11, 08:28 AM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by mandyfig
30K is a minor service, mostly check ups. It is just an oil change and filter change.
Actually the 30K service is a little more than minor service. They also replace the brake fluid, engine air filter, cabin filter and rotate tires.
Old 09-25-11, 04:49 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Thanks Rainbird

I let my sister talk me into the "Lexus Experience" and now I have the bill for it. Labor was way more than parts and I think because they provide a loaner, it's factored into the price as well. I had a standard 2011, although it looked nice and you can see they definitely made improvements, the vehicle I had had no power, it seem to use less gas but the power was not there. It felt like a 4 cylinder.

Lexus service said that this was a major job because they drain and replace all fluids including brake and coolant, replaced pcv valve, checked brakes and resurface rotors, rotated tires but didn't include the spare with the rotation.

Next time I will take it to a Toyota dealer at the next 15k.
Old 09-25-11, 06:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Rainbird

I let my sister talk me into the "Lexus Experience" and now I have the bill for it. Labor was way more than parts and I think because they provide a loaner, it's factored into the price as well. I had a standard 2011, although it looked nice and you can see they definitely made improvements, the vehicle I had had no power, it seem to use less gas but the power was not there. It felt like a 4 cylinder.

Lexus service said that this was a major job because they drain and replace all fluids including brake and coolant, replaced pcv valve, checked brakes and resurface rotors, rotated tires but didn't include the spare with the rotation.

Welcome to the "Lexus Experience."

Believe the lack of power you noticed in the 2011 was due to two factors. One, more sound deadening materials and thicker glass to keep the noise down. Second, the extra weight the 2011 packs over a 2004, which I believe is some 600#.

Regarding your brakes and resurfacing the rotors... do you know if they just cleaned up your rotors or did they actually turn them? Did you have any vibrations in your brakes prior? I have always try to avoid turning rotors if not needed. OK if they just scrubbed them up a bit and cleaned them.

Replaced the PCV valve? WTF??? Why??? Think they were padding your bill.
Old 09-26-11, 08:33 AM
Rainbird

I wonder if this Lexus service advisor once worked at Jiffy Lube. Unnecessary work is being done. The Lexus RX350 uses "Toyota Super Long-Life Coolant" and doesn't need to be replaced until 100K miles. The transmission uses "World Standard Fluid" and doesn't need replacement until 100K. The rotors are simply inspected and measured. No resurfacing is to be done without getting approval of the customer.

You mentioned next time Toyota at 15K. Typo right? Your Lexus should be serviced every 5K. The service schedule and what is done is in your Lexus Service Manual.
Old 09-26-11, 08:44 AM
Rainbird

One more thing. That PCV Valve almost certainly not not need replacement at 30K. You should call Lexus Corporate Headquarters and report this dealership for doing unnecessary work to pad your bill. Their number is:

1-800-255-3987 (Option 3)
Old 09-26-11, 10:14 AM
RMB350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does the brake fluid need to be changed? Isn't that a sealed unit and wouldn't you run the risk of contaminants entering the system?

Anyway, it's too bad that all the dealers don't treat you the same as stated above. That's why I let my mechanic tell me when it's time for new brakes and rotors as the RX has to be inspected each year in PA. My RX will go back to the shop for recalls and if something breaks that I can't fix myself. Read some of the posts regarding the ignition coil error codes. Happened to me and cost me 50 bucks and ten minutes of time. Would have been over 400 if the dealer had to do the same thing.
Old 09-26-11, 10:19 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

On the work sheet it has the following:
30,000 mile service

-Top off all fluids. Adjust tire pressures
-Inspect Belts and hoses
-Engine oil and filter replacement
-Air filter replacement (Done myself)
-Scan computer system for codes
-Replace cabin filter (Done myself)
-Clean and test Battery, cables and charging system
-Flush braking system install new fluid
-Replace wiper inserts
-Replace pcv valve
-Cooling system pressure test for leaks
-Clean, adjust & service front & rear brakes & parking brake
-Inspect Brake lines, pipes & hoses
-Rotate tires
-High speed balance 4 tires
-Courtesy exterior wash

and I just checked the Lexus site and no pcv valve.

Although it's not listed, the service advisor said they check the rotors along with the brakes and if they need to do anything besides cleaning them they would let me know.

The receipt has a big sticker to call the service manager if I can't recommend their service on the survey that will be sent out.
Attached Thumbnails How much did you pay for 30k service?-lexus-maintenance-menu.jpg  

Last edited by 1koolfella; 09-26-11 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 11:05 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Looks like a stock 30K service. LOF with a brake flush, filters and a lot of inspecting. Coolant, as mentioned above, is long life and usually not changed out until you get over 100K, replace the water pump or such.
Old 09-26-11, 11:26 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I wonder if this Lexus service advisor once worked at Jiffy Lube. Unnecessary work is being done. The Lexus RX350 uses "Toyota Super Long-Life Coolant" and doesn't need to be replaced until 100K miles. The transmission uses "World Standard Fluid" and doesn't need replacement until 100K. The rotors are simply inspected and measured. No resurfacing is to be done without getting approval of the customer.

You mentioned next time Toyota at 15K. Typo right? Your Lexus should be serviced every 5K. The service schedule and what is done is in your Lexus Service Manual.
Correction: the transmission fluid "World Standard Fluid" doesn't need replacement at all. Unless you have "heavy" driving conditions...
Old 09-26-11, 11:44 AM
Rainbird

Originally Posted by gusar
Correction: the transmission fluid "World Standard Fluid" doesn't need replacement at all. Unless you have "heavy" driving conditions...
You are correct. The fluid is inspected at 100k for discoloration or a burnt smell and replaced if either of those two apply.
Old 09-26-11, 01:43 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

What I meant to say was that at the 15k miles, I'll go to the dealer and have the vehicle check, but at the 5k miles in between since it's just a routine check of oil and filter, I'll just go to my local shop for that.

The service advisor also mention that for this year they don't use synthetic oil but regular dino oil and that synthetic would just be a waste of money. But from past experiences with Honda adding synthetic oil was like a shot of Red Bull, it gave that car wings. lol.
Old 09-26-11, 02:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

If you plan on holding on to your RX350 for an extended period of time going with synthetic fluids is good insurance and worth the few extra dollars at each service. Do not extend your intervals though as 5K is good enough. Am sure there are plenty of Toyota or independent shops in your area you can get a Mobil 1 or similar oil change for not that much considering. Just stay away from Jiffy Lube and their ilk.

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for 30k service?