RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Suggestions for Rotors/brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-11, 03:25 PM
xconcepts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Rotors/brake pads

So my wife is a heavy braker, ie loves to brake right at the end HARD....so her brake pads need replace here in the next few months and I figured to help her out with how hard she brakes would be to replace the OEM rotors with slotted ones or even better than OEM ones. Anyone have any suggestions on both? She does have 20" aftermarkets on ATM as well, so pads will less dust is a big plus.

X
Old 09-14-11, 03:32 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

How about these on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ELINE...item519ac6f809
Old 09-14-11, 03:38 PM
xconcepts
Driver School Candidate

I'll have to check them out when I get home, no ebay at work
Old 09-14-11, 04:33 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have heard good things about this company:

http://brakeperformance.com/
Old 09-14-11, 04:49 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,
I have installed KVR crossed drilled rotors and carbon fibre pads on all four corners. There is a remarkable difference in braking with a vehicle full of dive gear. The only issue is that the carbon fibre pads are messy on your rims. I think if I were to do I again I would opt for ceramic pads that Carver is using.

KVR are manufactured in Canada, just outside of Ottawa.
I hope this helps,
Chris
Old 09-30-11, 05:53 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

So I've read so many different opinions and views on this forum posting. Really good read.. is
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...cement-10.html

so my mechanic doesn't like idea of turning says u should just get new (obviously he's not paying for it) and I would think Lexus uses pretty good quality material on their rotors and from reading the postings so far it seemed very few people swap the rotors.. kinda not sure if I want to do rotors.. except to feel better for myself.. and i know it's a hunk of metal I think they get paid 8 bux per rotor on the back end(not sure if it's changed with fluxuating metal prices) ..not bad. I was researching and I saw many different options for rotors, they have Brembo oem at tirerack for $40 bux, but they only have rears.

Ive read a lot about these KVR rotors seems pretty decent, guy was closed for the day but still spent some time actually telling me about their product and talked to me about benefits of cadmium plating, also told me about cyro-treating using the bedding method.. was VERY passionate about his work it seemed. Their pads no one has anything good to say about them wear out quick is what I keep reading and chris mentioned dusting.

Now.. I'm still very interested in OEM brake rotors (dealer).. but now KVR's are NOT much cheaper then OEM. OEM from Sewell are same price, and I guess from reading the different forums and doing research it seems from my readings ur run of the mill cheaper rotors are not that great cuz they are made from something called blown steal they are weight of the units are much lower and a lot of the time not as uniform creating more wear thus the price is $20 or $30. The ones that cost 70-80+ seem to be more OE quality and overall are closer to dealership parts.

the next company I looked at was "Brake Performance" i found it on our site searching, not sure how their quality is, they didn't have cadmium plated and they advertised oh "friendly service and knowledgable" but lady on phone to me didn't seem friendly..or too knowledgable, I asked her if she's heard of KVR or knows any competition she just said no, I asked her of the different items they sell, she said they have slotted and drilled rotors but those didn't come with lifetime warantee and also had slotted and dimpled and those did have lifetime warantee, so I said are the drilled not going to hold up is that why you guys don't warantee? she said no they were just as good but they didn't warantee cuz there was less metal, I didn't get that comment. I then asked her how does the lifetime warantee work, if it's been a reasonable amount of time from your original purchase and you need new rotors do they ship you rotors first? she said no, you have to take your rotors off and ship them back to them and then they'd ship you new ones once they received it. I don't know if I really am going to fall for that type of lifetime warantee, at least if I goto autozone they're a car rides away and can get same lifetime warantee, so at this point i'm more concerned about quality not the fact that they will replace it. not worth sending back anyway and what a hassle http://brakeperformance.com/ i just didn't feel a warm and fuzy inside on that one, just no passion for her work it was like hi i'm a customer service rep, oh rt and when I asked her about warantee it was like I don't handle that department.. that was first thing she said then she told me read our policies on the website. Oh and they have graphs on their webpage of the different products so like pads and also for rotors, and they have bars for each area like temperature, frictiion level.. no details on what their measuring like whats on the x and y axis?? Just random lines drawn? when I asked her what they were measuring she couldnt tell me that either. So i don't know

Next thing with pads I saw this reoccuring theme in our forum and also others of semi-metalic unless your racing. It seems ceramics aren't the best things for you, and I think I trust in oem Toyota pads most likely. I did see KVR has pads and so did tirerack some Akebono, i've heard good and bad about them, on the tirerack website there's a lexus owner that said they were quite but the oem pads he ran for 166k miles these ones didn't compare, I'll believe my lexus brother :-) Read a little about green stuff but it seems they heat up a lot hotter and are recommended w/ their own pads.. to custom for me..

So my delima is:
1. do i replace rotors if at all
2. re surface (but mechanic not wanting to..and I m not physically where car is)
3. buy OEM from Sewel
4. buy KVR pay a couple bux and get the Blk cadmium plating and have the CNC machined slotted

I'm thinking going w/ KVR rotors w/ the black (sounds so nice) and some oem pads from sewell..
Old 10-01-11, 12:30 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

I have the Black KVR's they do look nice
Old 10-01-11, 06:07 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Raybestos advanced technology pads and rotors, I love them.
Old 10-03-11, 04:17 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

since cadmium is a heavy metal poison, and dust comes off of the brake disk as it wears, I would not choose those for my car! Can't you find nickel plate, etc?
Old 10-03-11, 08:20 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Pardon my ignorance; but can you explain you comment further.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-11-12, 10:30 AM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Had kvr for a little under a yr great brakes... wrote a bit here on it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post6718777

Regarding cadmium being poisonous... i wouldnt worry about it on my rotor.. the people who need to worry about it are the ones who are plating butbtjey are trained professionals.. on ur rotors most comes rt off when you press the brakes to begin with.. its just more the look and lack of corrosion occuring on the parts the pads dont touch. I wouldnt think it would be anything that id be concerned about with respect to being poisoned or poisoning the evil doers behind you as you brake hard...
Old 08-11-12, 10:42 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by iamkhanz
Had kvr for a little under a yr great brakes... wrote a bit here on it
Perhaps you could post an image of what the rotors look like a year after purchase. Thanks. I still have my OEM rotors and they rust up when the RX has been sitting for a few days even inside the garage.
Old 08-12-12, 09:41 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM rotors does rust even when I wash the car. HOwever it doesn't seem to matter mush. As you drive and brakes the rotor getts shining again. My 08 350 still has the original rotor at 59K miles. I measure those everytime I rotate the tires. I will need to tune it next time. The thickness of the new rotor is 28mm for the front and 10mm for the rear. Mine still has 27.5mm for the front and 9.5 for the rear. So a long life ahead. BY the way, the minimum thickness for the front rotor is 26mm and for the rear is 8.5mm.
Old 08-12-12, 04:59 PM
Zoso08RX
Driver School Candidate

I'll second the Raybestos and ceramic pads.

Old 10-03-12, 09:50 AM
PghLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zoso08RX
I'll second the Raybestos and ceramic pads.
Do you have a link to where you ordered those rotors from? I've searched for a while to no avail.

Additionally, the Raybestos website does not even offer a rotor product that looks like that given the search criteria for a 2007 Lexus RX350 on their website...

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Rotors/brake pads