RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 Civic LX 21k miles OR 2006 RX330 100k miles HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 06:57 PM
ntATL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Civic LX 21k miles OR 2006 RX330 100k miles HELP!!

I need your advice. My brother is buying a new BMW M3 and will be trading in his Lexus RX330 with 100k miles. He's offered to give me his Lexus (paid off) in exchange for my '08 Honda Civic LX with 21k miles and a $5,300 car note. What should I do??? I kind of want to take him up on his offer, but I don't feel very comfortable driving a car with 100k miles on it, but then again it's a Lexus. What would you do? HELP!!

Last edited by ntATL; 09-02-11 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-02-11, 07:05 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you need a bigger car or need the rx for something, id keep the civic.
Old 09-03-11, 07:44 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your brother maintained the 330 I'd trade in a heart beat. Obviously, you don't drive much so additional miles aren't going to be an issue. Use the 5300 you save on payments for any unforeseen repairs on the Lexus.

You will be much more comfortable and safer in the Lexus.
Old 09-03-11, 09:00 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by ntATL
I need your advice. My brother is buying a new BMW M3 and will be trading in his Lexus RX330 with 100k miles. He's offered to give me his Lexus (paid off) in exchange for my '08 Honda Civic LX with 21k miles and a $5,300 car note. What should I do??? I kind of want to take him up on his offer, but I don't feel very comfortable driving a car with 100k miles on it, but then again it's a Lexus. What would you do? HELP!!
imho, you need to approach the situation with a total different frame of mind. It should be "need" and not the make/brand/label. if a a sedan meets you need 98% of the time then stick with sedan. Buy/keep the smallest and newest (least miles) vehicle. Running cost + maint & repair + warranty are the reasons why.

Financial transaction with the family/friends are red flags for me. Here you have a double deal in the works. If either family (spouses included) feel they got a bad deal down the road, it may impact the relationship. There are pluses too, so tread carefully.

Salim
Old 09-03-11, 11:26 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to decide what car you need for your day to day use to make the decision. A Civic (small sedan) vs an RX (medium SUV) are two vastly different cars with 2 completely different marketed groups (as far as what their use would be).
Old 09-04-11, 01:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Very good advices here.In most other forums, they'll tell you to go ahead with the deal just because you'll end up in a Lexus. Need should be higher up on the ladder than want. It's very enticing to move from a generic compact car to a luxury suv, but if you don't need it, then don't get it.
Old 09-04-11, 09:18 AM
koric
Driver

You will spend double or even tripple on expenses and maintenance. If you can afford it then by all means get the lexus. The RX is a much more comfortable and pleasant driving experience.
Old 09-04-11, 09:28 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Did your brother say why he was wanting to trade?

I had an 8th gen civic. Solid car. Nothing wrong with it, I loved it.

But I like my truck just as much or better. If I had it to do over again though, I would have looked for a used RX. So...your call entirely. If your civic is not paid off, I might actually do it. I doubt anything could be wrong with that lexus that would cost you a car note PER MONTH to fix. Then again...it is a Lexus, they get expensive REALLY fast.

Seeing that it is an 06 330 and not a 300, I would do it.
Old 09-04-11, 11:18 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A 330 is just a gussied up Highlander! Any Toyota dealer or any competent independent mechanic can maintain/repair these vehicles, they are simple designs mechanically. I would agree the hybrids are expensive to repair, however.

I'd lose the payment and take the RX!
Old 09-04-11, 11:51 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I`d take the RX over a Civic any day!
Old 09-04-11, 12:15 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be biased but I hate the Civic. Through my youth and now being a grown man, that is the ONLY Honda that I tried best to avoid in any terms, even with the enticing once offered by my dad when he first got me a car. I said and repeatedly said Honda Accord if buying a Honda. Buy it or i'm not gonna drive! Then my next 3 cars were an Accord, an Acura, and a Maxima. Say I was spoiled.
Anyway here is my take on why you should pick the RX over the Civic, as I too have the '06 model. Civic is for city driving, youngsters, and people who just need a low-maintenance car to drive. On the other hand, the RX is for city and highway driving, grown-ups, and people who've got a bit of money. So if you like the luxury feel to it and can keep the car running and maintaining then simply trade it. It is a bonus for that $5.3K note! I know I would.
Moreover, this RX like someone had mentioned here actually does not cost much for repair bills because it can be fixed by any import indy car shop and Toyota dealer since it is just a high end of a Toyota Highlander. The repairs are quite affordable! Did I already say it drive like grreeeaat and super comfortable? Ohh,nevermind, I have not...
Old 09-04-11, 06:01 PM
Dragking91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
A 330 is just a gussied up Highlander! Any Toyota dealer or any competent independent mechanic can maintain/repair these vehicles, they are simple designs mechanically. I would agree the hybrids are expensive to repair, however.

I'd lose the payment and take the RX!
I couldn't agree more. My mom has a Rx350 2008 and trust me it's a dress up highlander with all the options and a badge that say "LEXUS" instead of Toyota. So don't worry about the cost of maintenance just figure out which one more fit you more.
Old 09-05-11, 08:11 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragking91
I couldn't agree more. My mom has a Rx350 2008 and trust me it's a dress up highlander with all the options and a badge that say "LEXUS" instead of Toyota. So don't worry about the cost of maintenance just figure out which one more fit you more.

A little more than just dressed up. My step dad has a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid,and my RX has it all over that thing in sound proofing,and just over all quality.
Old 09-05-11, 08:41 AM
Dragking91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
A little more than just dressed up. My step dad has a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid,and my RX has it all over that thing in sound proofing,and just over all quality.

Sure, it is a lot more quiet b/c they put a ton of fabric, ASL,and sound reduction in it to make it a little different as Lexus is known for their quiet cabin but overall you still pretty much drive a Toyota with a Lexus badge (not saying Toyota's are bad i love them). Plus, if you go and get the top of the line highlander and same with the Rx the price will be very similar, i would say no more than 5k in difference.
Old 09-05-11, 04:12 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
A 330 is just a gussied up Highlander! Any Toyota dealer or any competent independent mechanic can maintain/repair these vehicles, they are simple designs mechanically.
The highlander shares a platform with the Lexus RX, not the other way around. The difference in panels, general quality, fitment, features etc. etc. is quite different. People that go and say "crap" like this really do not have any idea about differences in models. It's the same old argument that a Lexus ES is a dressed up Camry, when there is a vast difference between the two. The question I have for Adamjeeps, is that if it were, why the heck did you buy a Lexus instead of a Highlander. Makes me angry when people are so naive in their thinking when it comes to this.

Last edited by draco; 09-05-11 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Civic LX 21k miles OR 2006 RX330 100k miles HELP!!