RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I'm Stil In Awe of Lexus Quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 02:39 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm Stil In Awe of Lexus Quality

Everytime I get in my daugter's Lexus (always as a passenger, seemingly) I'm amazed by the interior materials, nice ride, and handsome looks. Our RX is a black 04 w/black leather, and it gets 2nd glances from others.

I've driven Acura, other Lexi, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, MB S class, Bimmer....but THIS car is by far and away the best built.

Kudos Toyota/Lexus
Old 08-26-11, 02:48 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you are not alone, regardless of what most car enthusiast say about the RX, being the LEAST exclusive of the luxury mid size SUVs.. the head turning from REAL people tells a different story.
Old 08-26-11, 03:02 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree very nice. I really enjoy my RX.
Old 08-26-11, 03:35 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I love our RX, too. Very much. You know what's better?

An RX and an SC430.

You can go topless at the same time enjoy a Lexus.
Old 08-26-11, 03:43 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on! I would not trade my RX for any other mini car, sport car, or other luxury SUV's. I'm sticking with this sexy ride. Love everything about it.
Old 08-26-11, 03:44 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
You can go topless at the same time enjoy a Lexus.
LOL
Old 08-26-11, 05:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I enjoy my RX330 and do not plan on replacing it any time soon. However, it has not been the most reliable to be honest. Nothing major, just a lot of minor items. More recalls, TSB's and other issues that have been invoked than my last three previous daily drivers.

Still, nothing to say that if I had purchased anything else that I wouldn't have had the same number of troubles or more along the way.
Old 08-27-11, 09:54 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like mandyfig I also have an SC430 ('02) and an RX350 ('09) AWD. Every rider who gets into the SC remarks about the styling, materials quality, build quality, ride (not necessarily the handling), and even the audio system(!). Our RX gets compliments as well but I think it's probably viewed as a more practical luxury vehicle. My personal observation is that the build quality of our RX is not quite as good as that of the SC but it is still extremely nice and better than any of the comparables that we've looked at. Both these cars and the '06 ES330 we owned recently have proven very reliable (not to be confused with cost of ownership).
Old 08-27-11, 11:44 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

This is going to be controversial but I hope it generates 'civil discourse'.

When we go across different Models, it is not a fair comparison ... the price point, the intended market and competitive market just widens the gap.

How about comparing across RX generations ..

I own a '99 first gen and my friend has 2nd gen. There are technical improvements [turn radius, transmission, tank capacity, hid lights, gps, displacement etc] in gen2. Then there are styling differences like the nose, the hatch/trunk cutoff, aluminum center], But there sublime quality difference that I notice. The plastic button, the trim, the feel of buttons. To me it seems the newer RX has less to offer, As the production volume has gone up, lexus has skimped on things.

Tell me how right or how wrong I am. Granted the newer generation offers more as a product but the build quality/feel has declined.

Salim
Old 08-27-11, 01:39 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
This is going to be controversial but I hope it generates 'civil discourse'.

When we go across different Models, it is not a fair comparison ... the price point, the intended market and competitive market just widens the gap.

How about comparing across RX generations ..

I own a '99 first gen and my friend has 2nd gen. There are technical improvements [turn radius, transmission, tank capacity, hid lights, gps, displacement etc] in gen2. Then there are styling differences like the nose, the hatch/trunk cutoff, aluminum center], But there sublime quality difference that I notice. The plastic button, the trim, the feel of buttons. To me it seems the newer RX has less to offer, As the production volume has gone up, lexus has skimped on things.

Tell me how right or how wrong I am. Granted the newer generation offers more as a product but the build quality/feel has declined.

Salim
Having owned both a 1st gen and a 2nd gen I agree but have a different opinion as to outcome. The difference in quality of materials between the two is substantial, even when my 300 was totaled, it never broke the paint! Astounding quality paint on the 1 gens. Same for trim as well as mechanical parts. I've replaced more parts on my 330 in 6 months than I did on my 300 in 6 years, but still, that isn't saying much, just a steering rack.

The difference in engineering has sold me on the 330 over the 300 though, in every way the 330 is a better car than the 300, every system reflects the experience Lexus gained from the 1st gen. If the 2nd gen had the same material quality the first did they would have had to make them to explode after 10 years to get people out of them.

I was a little upset at the 330 when I first got it, the quality differences were that apparent but after living with it a while I would never go back to the 300. Every year I make the trek to Corpus to visit my sis and it's a 7 hour high speed trip on the back roads of Texas (to avoid Austin traffic Salim).

In the 300 I would arrive exhausted, beat and numb from the butt down, in the 330 I only stopped once for fuel and bathroom and arrived fresh enough to go out that night. The difference is remarkable. Even though the 300 has better quality, the 330 is still a Lexus and is overall the best car I've ever owned on every level.
Old 08-28-11, 07:01 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I will agree that the RX is a very lovely car to drive and at it's time it was a real looker. In fact even today it is a looker particularly from some angles. I, like Carver, love the comfort it provides me on those long trips. I do not feel tired and sore after getting to my destination and enjoyed the drive. My only issues with the RX quality are:

* I was expecting road noise to be significantly lower. My 96 (sold now) ES300 was dead quiet when comparing it to the RX. I wish the car was a lot quieter than it is. I think this is one quality item that Lexus failed on.
* The styling up front. Most new SUV's these days have some styling that I particularly love, whereas the front of the RX now looks almost like someone gave it an upper cut and the wind changed.

Other than that it is a lovely car. I just wish it were immune to things like the leather wearing over time and wrinkling.
Old 08-28-11, 08:22 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
I will agree that the RX is a very lovely car to drive and at it's time it was a real looker. In fact even today it is a looker particularly from some angles. I, like Carver, love the comfort it provides me on those long trips. I do not feel tired and sore after getting to my destination and enjoyed the drive. My only issues with the RX quality are:

* I was expecting road noise to be significantly lower. My 96 (sold now) ES300 was dead quiet when comparing it to the RX. I wish the car was a lot quieter than it is. I think this is one quality item that Lexus failed on.
* The styling up front. Most new SUV's these days have some styling that I particularly love, whereas the front of the RX now looks almost like someone gave it an upper cut and the wind changed.

Other than that it is a lovely car. I just wish it were immune to things like the leather wearing over time and wrinkling.
+1
I travel with the RX precisely because of its comfort, allied with the higher seating position. The seat leather is the worst I have ever encountered: it wrinkles, picks up 'color' from pants, and does not have of the durability I would expect.
'Looks' are 'looks', and different people like different 'looks'. I find the 09RX350 I own to be a not-very-good-looking car. The design has no 'direction' and makes no 'statement', it looks 'cheaper' than many other competitors and certainly does not have the 'presence' that my RX300 had (at the time) when it was current. The rear hatch window, beyond being ugly, is not well designed as it picks up spray and dirt very fast. The rear wiper is a joke, since it covers such a little area. And, of course, a number of the inside design features lack thoughtfulness (e.g. the narrow front armrests). However, all in all, a very good car for the money and in a niche by itself.
Old 08-28-11, 09:56 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i believe luxury car makers in general are more conservative than the Toyota,Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Ford etc.

Land Rover Range Rover, BMW X5, Mercedes GLK resembles a lot of their predecessor.
if you don't own one, it's hard to tell the difference.
Old 08-28-11, 12:03 PM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RX are the best, that's way we have a 2004 RX330 and 2010 RX350
Old 08-28-11, 04:21 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
+1
I travel with the RX precisely because of its comfort, allied with the higher seating position. The seat leather is the worst I have ever encountered: it wrinkles, picks up 'color' from pants, and does not have of the durability I would expect.
'Looks' are 'looks', and different people like different 'looks'. I find the 09RX350 I own to be a not-very-good-looking car. The design has no 'direction' and makes no 'statement', it looks 'cheaper' than many other competitors and certainly does not have the 'presence' that my RX300 had (at the time) when it was current. The rear hatch window, beyond being ugly, is not well designed as it picks up spray and dirt very fast. The rear wiper is a joke, since it covers such a little area. And, of course, a number of the inside design features lack thoughtfulness (e.g. the narrow front armrests). However, all in all, a very good car for the money and in a niche by itself.
I have not encountered the "colour" from pants rubbing on to leather or durability issues. Mind you I am in Australia and the RX's here are made in Japan. I'm not sure, but from what else I have read on the forums there seems to be a lot of issues with Lexi that are made in US/Canada than their counterparts direct from Japan.

Regarding the 3rd Gen RX, I just think they look fantastic on the road. As far as presence is concerned, you notice (well I do) when they go by. They have a great look. Although the only thing with the 3rd Gen is that uppercut swelling has reduced a fair bit, but not entirely gone. Just something with a squarer lower front bumper that I love (even on SUV's ). I know they are marketed as a soft-roader, but not a lot of people use them for soft roading IMO.

Quick Reply: I'm Stil In Awe of Lexus Quality