RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 05:29 AM
Zoso08RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will strongly 2nd the no run-flat statement. STAY AWAY!

I just replaced Bridgestone 400HL RFT's with some Cooper CS3's and the difference is amazing.
'08 with 108,xxx miles and I love my RX again!

Brand new ... initial impression ... less than 100 miles, The Cooper CS3's are awesome for the price.

I really wanted the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza... I have them on my Tundra and love them.
But I couldn't justify the $260 price difference. For $115 per the Coopers are worth a look.

Last edited by Zoso08RX; 04-05-15 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-06-15, 02:54 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with Michelin Pilot MXM4 - good feel but just as noisy as the OEM tires - not overly thrilled with that. Maybe its the car itself that's not as quiet as I had hoped.
Old 04-06-15, 08:26 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiRX
I went with Michelin Pilot MXM4 - good feel but just as noisy as the OEM tires - not overly thrilled with that. Maybe its the car itself that's not as quiet as I had hoped.
Maybe this could help - How to make your car quieter

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-quieter.html
Old 05-13-15, 04:13 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About a month away from purchasing new tires. Read through this thread and the third gen threads with favorable reviews falling on the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza(offered by Costco), Continentals dws(Tire rack) and Goodyear assurance comfortread touring.
The latter I have which I have less than favorable impression of. But to be fair to them I purchased the RX with maybe less than half of the tread left on them so my impression of them is not complete. Having said that, they are terribly LOUD near the end of their tread life. They don't go out quietly.
I'm also leaning towards Continental control contacts A/S sport.
Any info on this one would be appreciated. Any experience. I have them on the IS 350 and found them to be excellent thus far. Quiet, good grip in rain and overall no major complaints other than they are cruising tires and not for spirited driving. However what's good for cars sometimes doesn't translate well to SUV, trucks and so forth.
Thanks
Old 05-13-15, 09:38 AM
genedjr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Read through this thread and the third gen threads with favorable reviews falling on the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza(offered by Costco), Continentals dws(Tire rack) and Goodyear assurance comfortread touring.
The latter I have which I have less than favorable impression of. But to be fair to them I purchased the RX with maybe less than half of the tread left on them so my impression of them is not complete. Having said that, they are terribly LOUD near the end of their tread life. They don't go out quietly.
I second the loudness of the Goodyear tires. I have been pestering other local RX owners on what they have and if they like them. So far no consensus, no one really likes what they have.

I like the Cooper endorsement, I will consider those.
...gene
Old 06-16-15, 08:56 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Getting new tires put on. The treads were below acceptable. However, I AM grateful for Mercedes Benz for having put tires on here that took me down the road for 30k+.Solid dealership.
Anyway, same tires I have on my other Lexus. Continental control contact A/S.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-img_20150616_084949_292.jpg   Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-img_20150616_092307_837.jpg   Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices-img_20150616_092247_607.jpg  

Last edited by rxonmymind; 06-16-15 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 04:25 PM
larry09
Driver School Candidate

I can tell you I bought some Pirelli Scorpion a few years ago and the worst tires I have ever owned in 50 years of driving. I will never buy another Pirelli tire again. Bought a set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422 (Dueller?) and they are the best tires yet. Quiet, smooth ride. Look like a good tread life also. About 10K miles so far and about 1/32 down in treadwear.
Old 10-13-15, 02:14 AM
PortAh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the Michelin LTX M/S on my prev 2000 RX300, it lasted me whopping 90k mi and great ride.
It didnt come in 235/55/18 before. I just found out that the new Defender LTX M/S does come in 235/55/18.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....DLTX&tab=Sizes

From the description, it looks like a new set replacing LTX M/S 2. Any words on it?
Old 10-14-15, 02:01 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Lol. Looking at my post above if I knew then what I was going to go through I definitely would have passed on the Conti's. They didn't do to well.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9201305

I now have the Michelin's A/S and will report back in couple months. They are sweet for now!
Old 10-15-15, 07:50 AM
Gordonrx
Driver

Originally Posted by zig@tr
I receive a number of phone calls per day regarding the best all-season tire for the Lexus RX model, so I thought a post may help some find their answers through the forum. Most of the Lexus RX owners I speak with want a tire that is smooth, quiet, hydroplaning resistant and has good snow and ice grip. I have compiled a list of the top 3 performers from my personal customers experiences as well as overall great customer survey results to back up these recommendations.

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

Michelin Latitude Tour

I recently put on the Alenza Plus and it is very quiet and sticks far better and much cheaper than the Michelins I had before.
Old 10-23-15, 05:17 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ghuns
I am going with the Continental PureContacts for the RX. Looked at the Bridgestones and Pirellis, but both have lower ratings for snow/ice traction. We just don't get snow like we used to around here so I can't justify a set of dedicated winter tires/wheel for my 2 vehicles with AWD. The kids will get a set of snow tires for the TL, they need all the help they can get.
2 year update: The Continentals are pretty much used up. Over the last two years, we have put almost 60K miles on them, but two were replaced along the way under the road hazard warranty. My wife and daughter are serious road hazards.

These tires have wear indicators in the form of the letters, DWS. When the "S" is gone, don't drive them in snow. When the "W" is gone, don't drive them in water. When the "D" is gone, don't drive on them at all. The "W" has disappeared within the last 5K miles on the two tires with almost 60K miles on them. To me, that's as far as I'm willing to take them.

In my original post, I mentioned we don't get winters like we used to. As it turns out, the last two winters were replays of the "real" winters we had in the late 70s, early 80s. The tire did OK in the snow, but not great. I broke down last winter and bought two sets of Michelin X-ice tires for mine, and my daughter's Audi A4s. Those are awesome winter tires, but pricey. My son's Acura TL has a set of General Ultimax Arctics, they too are awesome and cheap. Since Discount Tire's eBay store has the Generals for $444 a set, and a $100 off coupon, I think the RX will be sportin a set of them this winter. Now I just need to find a set of 17" wheels.
Old 11-04-15, 07:33 AM
Banjo1362
Driver School Candidate

Default What is current (Nov 2015) Best All Season for driving in snow?

I know, I know... get snow tires. I have had snows on every winter but now the car has 240K miles on it, I need new tires and I don't use it everyday. Car is in Maine so needs snow capability. I don't want to buy two sets but need something. What do you think? thanks!
Old 11-04-15, 07:45 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Seems like you answered your own question.
Old 11-04-15, 08:00 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I ended up buying a set of the Altimax Arctics and some wheels/lugs from Discount Tires eBay store. There was nowhere to specify what vehicle the lugs were for at checkout, so I thought I'd just shoot them an email the next morning. They called me at 8AM the next day to ask. The guy said, I noticed you also bought wheels and tires, would you like them mounted and balanced? I said how much? Hey said free. I let sell me the $56 road hazard coverage because I know from having them on my son's car that the sidewalls are a little soft. The $100 off code at checkout worked with both the wheels and tires. So for $783, I got 4 tires, 4 wheels, lugnuts, 3 years of road hazard, mounting and balancing, free shipping, and no sales tax. I was at $918 with a similar setup from TireRack. Then I'd have to buy lugs and pay sales tax.
Old 12-21-15, 05:48 AM
brianmch
Driver

I see that the Alenza Plus is one of the go-to's for the RX. I can only find it in 255/60/17 @ Costco. Specs are 25/65/17. Is that what ya'll are getting? The other choices aren't so hot or waay more expensive.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices