RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 10:35 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

No need for a new thread. Just go to the end of this existing thread and start reading from the end and work your way forward. Much of this has been discussed in the past. Add to your considerations the Pirelli.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...e-choices.html
Old 09-17-13, 07:08 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bwsteg
Hello everyone, I am in need of new tires and looking for some suggestions from people with actual personal experience. Currently I have Goodyear Comforttread. What I want from the tires is a smooth and quiet ride, although I do encounter some snow in NY for a few months of the year.

From my research, I have narrowed it down to these 2 tires (although feel free to recommend another tire)

1. Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology

or

2. Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia

Anyone have experiences with these? Thanks

Also I have the 18" wheels so tire size is 235 55 18
I just put option 2 on our RX330. Prior to that, two sets of OEM Michelin, two sets of Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza and one set of Goodyear Comfortred. Only have 300 miles on the Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia, so I can't comment yet on their treadwear, handling, etc, but they are very quiet.
Old 09-19-13, 11:50 AM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to Discount tire looking for the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's so I could replace the set my wife made 63000 miles on. None in stock. They could get some the next day. Not an option for me. Looked for the Ecopia- None in stock. They would have to special order those. Discount was having a promotional sale on Michelin and I went with the Defender. Instantly noticed the tires are a wee bit more noisy than the Alenza. Interestingly- they modulate the noise through the accerlation speed. It comes and goes until you get up to speed. I am hoping this is merely a break in symptom.
Old 09-19-13, 12:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rxpx40
I went to Discount tire looking for the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's so I could replace the set my wife made 63000 miles on. None in stock. They could get some the next day. Not an option for me. Looked for the Ecopia- None in stock. They would have to special order those. Discount was having a promotional sale on Michelin and I went with the Defender. Instantly noticed the tires are a wee bit more noisy than the Alenza. Interestingly- they modulate the noise through the accerlation speed. It comes and goes until you get up to speed. I am hoping this is merely a break in symptom.
The Alenza is old tech now. Not surprised that stocks are low. Am surprised that the Ecopia was not available.

Do you have 17" wheels and tires on your RX? Thought the Defender was only available in the 17" size.
Old 10-20-13, 10:39 PM
Mercutio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia is a good choice.
Alenza is old Tech as mentioned above and they will be phased out soon enough so future availability may be an issue in the instance of needing a replacement.

Ecopia has low rolling resistance and great wet traction. Very nice pic in deed.
Serenity Plus is even that much better. It really is their Premium line and extremely quiet.

Either way, trust you have spent your money well.

Last edited by Mercutio; 10-20-13 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 05:47 PM
iamkhanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great topic guys was very interesting hear the different commons and made a decision based on the information available on here. I took advantage of the good year assurance comfortred touring 235/60/18... I had upgraded wheels to the newer 2009 18 inch style in black chrome. I bought these wheels used with decent tread left but the ride was horrible it had the stock tire size with some kuhmo tires on them.. there was just a lot of road noise with the kuhmo tires. I was fortunate to ride on the bridgestone Alenza tires on my buddy is Armada I know it's a different vehicle but I noticed the tires were very hard and not so comfy more of a sporty feel. I don't believe it was the suspension on the vehicle. I think this matches with some of wt others were saying about the Bridgestones. I was considering getting the different Michelin options however I didn't see anything special about those tires at this point. I do love michelin for their quality control.. Plus there were no sales on the Michelins right now. The OEM tire was what was on the vehicle originally on my original 18 inch wheels which were the goodyear eagle rsa they were definitely also a quiet tire but I really didn't want to go with oem again considering all the new technology is in the new tires..

I ended up paying $900 out the door with warranties and lifetime balancing and rotation from Conrad's tire place we have in the north. I also took advantage of the $80 rebate and opened up a good year card which gave me an additional $80 bringing the rebate up to 160 dollars.so my total cost came to seven hundred and forty dollars which I am happy with. I know I have only driven the car for about 100 miles but I immediately was able to feel a big difference in the steering wheel of the car much moore smooth like butter.. the ride quality again reminded me of the old OEM tires..and I know the tires are very new but they felt even better then oem and the car felt like very very smooth but at the same time good cornering. I also love the tread pattern of the Goodyear comfortreads.. I know this is not that important but I thought it was something to consider.

The reason why i went with the 60 series tires was for a smoother rider and also as it snows where i am and getting that extra 1/2 inch ground clearance it actually gave the rx a very nice attractive stance but not too high..now im thinking maybe next summer I might put on my tte lowering springs on hit. ill give an update on the tires in few months once more wear has occurred

Last edited by iamkhanz; 10-21-13 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 07:54 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what should four tires end up costing me for the rx???
Old 10-22-13, 10:32 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ac921ol
what should four tires end up costing me for the rx???
Depends on the brand and model of tire you select, the taxes in your area, mounting and balancing fees, any available discounts, etc.

Assuming you have the 18" tire and wheel upgrade, I would expect to easily pay upwards of $175 to $200+ per tire when all is said and done even after any discounts. I have a $1K budget set aside for my next round of tires but that includes the possibility of needing to replace the spare which is still the original from purchase ten years ago.
Old 10-23-13, 05:03 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I am about to go crazy at Tire Rack. Wife's RX350 has used up the dealer installed Michelins. My A4 that I bought used last month has 3 different brands of tires on it. Also bought a 99 Acura TL for the kids to destroy that is currently riding on slicks. I will consider myself lucky if I get out of there for less than $2500.

I am going with the Continental PureContacts for the RX. Looked at the Bridgestones and Pirellis, but both have lower ratings for snow/ice traction. We just don't get snow like we used to around here so I can't justify a set of dedicated winter tires/wheel for my 2 vehicles with AWD. The kids will get a set of snow tires for the TL, they need all the help they can get.
Old 10-23-13, 09:36 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ghuns
I am about to go crazy at Tire Rack. Wife's RX350 has used up the dealer installed Michelins. My A4 that I bought used last month has 3 different brands of tires on it. Also bought a 99 Acura TL for the kids to destroy that is currently riding on slicks. I will consider myself lucky if I get out of there for less than $2500.

I am going with the Continental PureContacts for the RX. Looked at the Bridgestones and Pirellis, but both have lower ratings for snow/ice traction. We just don't get snow like we used to around here so I can't justify a set of dedicated winter tires/wheel for my 2 vehicles with AWD. The kids will get a set of snow tires for the TL, they need all the help they can get.
Hello GHUNS! I will soon be replacing my RX350 18" tires, and I was considering the Conti PureContacts, even though we never have 'winter' in FL. Would you mind giving your impressions of them when you install them (noise/smoothness etc...)?
Old 10-23-13, 10:00 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Hello GHUNS! I will soon be replacing my RX350 18" tires, and I was considering the Conti PureContacts, even though we never have 'winter' in FL. Would you mind giving your impressions of them when you install them (noise/smoothness etc...)?
Will do. I have to call a guy I know who works at TireRack to make sure he doesn't have any other suggestions and to see when I can get the put on. Hopefully soon. The old Michelins at over 45K are real sketchy.
Old 10-23-13, 01:30 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Will do. I have to call a guy I know who works at TireRack to make sure he doesn't have any other suggestions and to see when I can get the put on. Hopefully soon. The old Michelins at over 45K are real sketchy.
Yes, mine have 36K miles and have another 5K or so to go to get to the wear bars. But they are now noisy and 'rough'. I found the best price on-line at 'simpletire.com', all-in.
Old 10-27-13, 05:30 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

My initial impression of the Continentals is that they are little noisier and a little rougher riding than the OE Michelins. Nothing unpleasant, just enough to be noticeable. Steering response is much better however. No mushy feeling when cornering.
Old 10-27-13, 10:17 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

My initial impression of the Continentals is that they are little noisier and a little rougher riding than the OE Michelins. Nothing unpleasant, just enough to be noticeable. Steering response is much better however. No mushy feeling when cornering.
TKU, ghuns!
So, overall, do you recommend them?
(of course, new tires change after a couple of thousand miles, sometimes for the better.)
Old 10-28-13, 02:47 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

I'll know more about them in the next couple weeks. 300+ mile road trip for a cheerleading competition next Saturday. The drive will be the most fun part of the day. Then the next weekend we get to do it again. With November weather in Indiana I'm sure to get a full range of conditions to try them in.

Haven't had any snow yet to play in. But made one road trip in a monsoon, and another on a cold dry day. So far I am very pleased with these tires. Even at 80MPH on I-69, in the rain, they felt very good. Gas mileage seems down a bit, but we are probably getting our winter blend at gas stations about now so I would blame that more than the tires.

Last edited by ghuns; 11-11-13 at 05:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices