RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Cost of having a new key cut

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 01:53 PM
Cruiseman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of having a new key cut

I found a replacement key blank on eBay to replace my cracked plastic housing. Fortunately, the electronics are in tact and working. However, I will have to have a locksmith cut the new key. This is a rather unusual key design with the groove in the center of the key blank. Does anyone know what a locksmith charges to cut a key like this? Do you have to go to a special locksmith?
Old 07-30-11, 02:09 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a search because my plastic key case broke, my electronics and actual key are good, but the plastic part broke. It seems like there are some reputable dealers on eBay worth checking out.

My question is, do I need a new Key, or can I somehow must buy the black plastic case? I have everything, the metal key, electronics, etc., I just need the case.
Old 07-30-11, 02:24 PM
Cruiseman
Rookie

Originally Posted by tftimm
I did a search because my plastic key case broke, my electronics and actual key are good, but the plastic part broke. It seems like there are some reputable dealers on eBay worth checking out.

My question is, do I need a new Key, or can I somehow must buy the black plastic case? I have everything, the metal key, electronics, etc., I just need the case.
I had the same situation. I think the key blade is molded into the bottom 1/2 of the plastic case and cannot be removed without breaking the plastic case. I found a new plastic key case w/blade, but it says the blade cannot be replaced. I looked at mine closely, and it looks like it is encased in plastic.
Old 07-30-11, 03:21 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As I recall one CL member ordered a key blank on ebay and the blade was a little bit longer than the OEM one. He didn't discover that until after it was cut and the key would not work.

There has been extensive discussion on cutting keys on this forum. Do a search using the words "Key Cut".
Old 07-30-11, 03:46 PM
Cruiseman
Rookie

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old 07-30-11, 08:37 PM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought from this guy and was happy with the results:

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1...id=p4340.l2559

You need the key code for him to cut the keys.
Old 07-30-11, 09:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeInHNL

Wonder how he would be for those flip keys others were interested in previous?
Old 07-31-11, 04:21 AM
Cruiseman
Rookie

Back to my original question. Where do you go to get the new key blank cut, and how much does that cost?
Old 07-31-11, 09:12 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Originally Posted by JoeInHNL

I also purchased from this guy for a replacement 2004 RX330 key. Paid $40, sent him my key code and had the replacement key in a couple of days. Awesome service. Key works great after swapping the electronics into the new case. I would imagine that he would be happy to cut your previously purchased key for you as well if you sent it to him (back to original poster's original question). Good luck.
Old 08-02-11, 07:30 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sakaike
I also purchased from this guy for a replacement 2004 RX330 key. Paid $40, sent him my key code and had the replacement key in a couple of days. Awesome service. Key works great after swapping the electronics into the new case. I would imagine that he would be happy to cut your previously purchased key for you as well if you sent it to him (back to original poster's original question). Good luck.
Any security concerns about buying keys from a seller like this mworld guy? Is it only the keycode and shipping address that he needs from the buyer? I know that Sewell lexus for example, one would need to prove identify and ownership of the vehicle.

$40 for TWO cut keys? Seems to good to be true, no? I would expect the dealer to have a good profit margin but this is almost 1/6th of a dealer price.

Travelling to the US soon so I have to decide on this matter - either ebay or Sewell (still cheaper than local canadian dealer).

Final thoughts? TIA.
Old 08-02-11, 07:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Any security concerns about buying keys from a seller like this mworld guy? Is it only the keycode and shipping address that he needs from the buyer? I know that Sewell lexus for example, one would need to prove identify and ownership of the vehicle.

$40 for TWO cut keys? Seems to good to be true, no? I would expect the dealer to have a good profit margin but this is almost 1/6th of a dealer price.

Travelling to the US soon so I have to decide on this matter - either ebay or Sewell (still cheaper than local canadian dealer).

Final thoughts? TIA.

The key itself it not all that expensive and cutting one with the proper equipment is also no big deal. The electronics is what makes it all work.

If you want to perform a test, open you key case and take out the electronics. Then, go out to your car and try to open the doors with the key, etc.

Can you have the keys sent to family in the US prior to your trip? That way they would not even have a correct address to work from.
Old 08-03-11, 08:36 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Originally Posted by lex_rx

Final thoughts? TIA.
I think RX330inFL summed it up nicely, but a couple of additional thoughts:

This particular seller has a few different combos at different price points. Some use key blanks that look very similar to OEM (what I did), and others look more like knock-offs. In addition, in his listings, he notes that if you send in your key code, you really need to be sure that you are the original owner or that the key code you send is valid for your vehicle. If you are not the original owner, it's possible that your key code may have been changed by the previous owner or dealership sometime along the way without your knowledge, in which case your new key would not work. This guy seems to know what he's talking about.

My guess is that this particular seller is probably a locksmith by trade, since he's apparently the one doing the cutting himself (the turnaround time seems to fast to outsource it), and as such would presumably be pretty safe from reselling your information for nefarious purposes. One posting that a buyer had their car subsequently stolen sometime later down the line would be all that it would take to sink his business. This is all total speculation, but what I can say for sure is that I'm a happy customer.
Old 08-03-11, 09:17 AM
stanltod
Driver School Candidate

I usually buy the blanks from a reputable seller on ebay for about $6-$8 each and my local locksmith charges $15 to cut them. It is becoming more common for locksmiths to have the cutting equipment for the special keys of today's cars...soon to be NO key at all. The blank has to be the "short" blank, the longer ones won't work. With the blanks you reuse the electronic guts from your old broken key.
Old 08-03-11, 09:28 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Just from my observation from cutting a bunch of ebay keys, the ones you see on ebay with the Lexus symbol are NOT original Lexus keys. The plastic is thinner and cheaper than the original. They are knockoffs. Like I said, these are the ones I've personally seen. The second link for the $40 key shell looks like an aftermarket one we sell and the plastic is thicker than the original. And we've had good luck with them. Just food for thought.
Old 08-04-11, 08:35 AM
xis
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought the ebay ones with the lexus symbol... 2 for $40 cut and shipped next day. Works like a key should work and much cheaper than any other option.

Quick Reply: Cost of having a new key cut