RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Need some help from the RX forum experts on catalytic converters (dealership screw)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 03:00 PM
bbeeler12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rx, Thanks for the help....

So If I get one from NAPA how hard is it to put them on? I have change cats before but none with the manifold part attached... I wonder how much room there is to work with....

I really hope a member comes along that has experience with this.

thanks again for all the help!!

Ben
Old 07-22-11, 05:14 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

A cat (in your case its a precat unlike the regular cat underneath the vehicle) isn't that hard with the manifold attached. When you have to do a weld job for the precat, that's a different story. It's some bolts and some PB Blaster to spray on them, let them soak a bit, and then remove the bolts and take the manifold with precat out. You should have sufficient room to work with. It's only if you have a weld job where it's a major PITA.
Old 07-23-11, 02:08 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
"Carver" doesn't know beans about cat replacement, all my exhaust adventures have been after cat.

Aw Man!!
Old 07-23-11, 05:39 PM
bbeeler12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
A cat (in your case its a precat unlike the regular cat underneath the vehicle) isn't that hard with the manifold attached. When you have to do a weld job for the precat, that's a different story. It's some bolts and some PB Blaster to spray on them, let them soak a bit, and then remove the bolts and take the manifold with precat out. You should have sufficient room to work with. It's only if you have a weld job where it's a major PITA.
Yea I understand that... I have changed the bolt on style a few times before but I also know that sometimes theres not enough room to get the "average mans" tools into the spots to get them out with just a jack.

So for the BANK 2 cat replacement, I need to get a new passenger side cat from NAPA or an online place that has the cat with manifold piece all together and try to install it myself.

I know that they really dont care about it being an OEM replacement... All they care about is that its a new cat with a O2 bung so the SES light stays off...

Hopefully you all can confirm its the bolt off bolt on style job... Thanks so much for your help, I try to remember to help all newbies out on my forums so if you all ever have any G37 or STI questions just ask lol

Thanks !
Ben
Old 07-24-11, 04:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bbeeler12
Yea I understand that... I have changed the bolt on style a few times before but I also know that sometimes theres not enough room to get the "average mans" tools into the spots to get them out with just a jack.

So for the BANK 2 cat replacement, I need to get a new passenger side cat from NAPA or an online place that has the cat with manifold piece all together and try to install it myself.

I know that they really dont care about it being an OEM replacement... All they care about is that its a new cat with a O2 bung so the SES light stays off...

Hopefully you all can confirm its the bolt off bolt on style job... Thanks so much for your help, I try to remember to help all newbies out on my forums so if you all ever have any G37 or STI questions just ask lol

Thanks !
Ben
Ben,

On my RX300, it was a bit different deal. The manifold did not have the precat attached, but a pipe that was a bit lower to it did.

In the second generation RX, the precat is on the manifold side. I don't see anything where you can just take out the precat by bolts and put another one in. In effect, you must buy the whole manifold piece (that includes the precat). I even took a look at a company like Walker Exhaust that also sells OEM style pieces and even they had it shown as being manifold/precat one piece. That does mean a bolt up job, no welding.
Old 07-24-11, 10:34 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by bbeeler12
Yea I understand that...
stuff deleted
stuff deleted
Ben
Rx has a transverse mounted V6 engine ... so you have exhaust near the fire wall and another near the radiator (front).

Bank1 is near the firewall and bank2 will be near the radiator.

I hope you read this before you start.

Salim
Old 07-24-11, 04:55 PM
Sandhopper
Rookie

This may be an obvious question but how do you know your Cat is bad? Does it throw a specific code or could it just be a O2 sensor? Its there something I should be on the look out for since my 04 RX330 is at 115K?
Old 07-25-11, 08:25 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandhopper
This may be an obvious question but how do you know your Cat is bad? Does it throw a specific code or could it just be a O2 sensor? Its there something I should be on the look out for since my 04 RX330 is at 115K?
"it was throwing a code for the bank 2 cat."
Old 07-25-11, 01:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I assume they already tried dealing with it the sensor route, so now the cat is the issue.
Old 07-25-11, 01:34 PM
bbeeler12
Driver School Candidate

yea its definitly the cat... Ill be getting a look at the RX this week I think and reporting back for help and info.

thanks!!!! you guys rock!
Old 07-25-11, 02:41 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

knowing how expensive cats are, and how many RXs have been put on the road...

- Instead of going new or aftermkt, you should easily be able to find used ones off a wreck. You'll want to know mileage, etc.

- Plus cats, as critical emission components, have federally mandated warranty of 8yr/80k. You're right on the edge (possibly over) on age depending on build date but could be w/in based on mileage. So, if you are w/in those limits or darn close, push the dealer. FWIW (to help others) many indys, at risk of losing a nice $ervice ring on parts and labor, may not disclose this to you.

Good luck
Old 09-08-16, 11:39 AM
CraigSoute
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,
So I have a California 2004 330RX that needs new Catalytic Converters and Oxy Sensors. I cannot find the California Certified Cats suppliers, any help on where I might find them. Dealer prices out of site! Thanks
Old 09-08-16, 09:17 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

You might try cleaning the cats...I was able to do this on my mother in laws Toyota with unhooking the vacuum line and siphoning water from a container, controlling the amount with a clothes pin. The engine should be raced at about 2000 rpm, and only allow enough water to syphon as to not make the engine stutter. Google it.
Old 09-20-16, 01:24 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ............

Guys, when diagnosing anything always go with the least $$$ suspected parts. Over the years I have seen people use an 02 sensor extender that clears the code for under $7.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-OXYGEN-SE...7UJHwQ&vxp=mtr

I used it myself on my 99 Corolla and it worked like a charm, I put 250k plus on that engine and it never ever gave me the cat code again.

Install one of these on the cat's sensor giving you a problem.......done!
Old 09-22-16, 10:41 AM
Sevenfold
Driver School Candidate

I've come to realize that a lot of the parts from a Toyota Highlander are interchangeable and a lot cheaper.

Suspension, control arms, control arm bushings, ect.

Damian