RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Negotiating on a CPO RX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 07:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Tony,

Personally, I do not think there is really a right way to negotiate with a dealer on price. A lot of variables. Overhead costs. Vehicle costs. Margins. Is the vehicle on the lot? How long as that vehicle been on the lot? ...

One needs to do their research, go in with a price in mind and be prepared to walk away as necessary. Salespeople will also prejudge you as well soon as you pull into the lot. I like doing my initial visits in a vehicle I am not looking to trade (old, grungy and borrowed as needed), wearing a t-shirt, shorts, a pair of sandals and a few days growth of beard. Messes with their heads when I come back later to talk deal cleaned up driving a much better car. They have their games, I have mine.
Old 08-03-11, 07:54 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nmtomcat
My experience with the Lexus CPO program made me wonder if it was worth what it costs (whatever that is).

I purchased a CPO 2009 Lexus RX with just over 62,000 miles. Although it had a lot of miles, it looked and drove like it had fewer miles. The salesman told me about the CPO program, about all the checks they do, the warranty, and the road service. It sounded good, especially with that many miles. A test drive and a walk-around showed it to be in great shape, inside and out, although one headlight had water in it. They promised to replace the headlight. While I was sitting at his desk, the salesman told me it had new Michelin tires. I took him at his word and didn't go back outside and check. My thoughts about buying a CPO Lexus was that having new tires would save me about $1000 dollers, and the 3-year/100,000 mile warranty should protect me from any major expense.

About three weeks later, my wife mentioned that the tires certainly were not new, as I had told her. I took the RX back to the dealer, but the salesman "did not remember" telling me the tires were new, and they wouldn't do anything. Interestingly, their tread depth guage showed 5/32 of wear left, while my guage showed 3/32.

Just recently, I decided to have the RX aligned at an alignment shop that had done good work for me in the past. I waited for the job to be done, and the mechanic came out and told me the front brakes were 80% worn out and the rear ones 70%. I took it back to the dealer, and after taking it in the shop and measring the pads, looking at the CPO check sheet, and a long discussion between the service writer and service manager, they agreed to replace the front brake pads at no charge. The CPO checklist showed very different figures on the brake wear than what it had now. I had only driven it about 2600 miles since purchasing.

During my discussions with the service writer, he asked why I had taken the car to an alignment shop, rather than bring it to them. He also told me it had been aligned just before I bought it. I told him the car had wandered all over the road since I bought it, which made me wonder if they had really aligned it or "cut some corners" and just marked it as being aligned. The shop that aligned it said it was way out of alignment.

Between the water in the headlight, the worn brakes, and the out of alignment condition, I questioned if the CPO checks had actually been done. I discovered that the mechanic that did the checks was no longer with the dealer and his manager was not with them either. I usually have a used car checked over by my mechanic, but the CPO "sounded" so good, I didn't do it this time.

I haven't gotten a copy of the CPO checklist, but I think that will be on tomorrow's to-do list.

Neal Brown
I didn't get a copy of the CPO checklist either. I bought the car from Sheehy Lexus in Annapolis, MD. When I realized that they didn't include the checklist, my sales associate lied to me, and said that "their dealership doesn't give customers that out). It's funny because when I called Lexus Corporate, and even on Lexus.com, it says that customers get a copy.

I'm glad others are realizing, and being more vigilant about CPO cars. We are paying a premium for the car to be certified, and the car should be fully reconditioned, and with a CPO warranty, as they claim it should.

Have everything documented in writing (emails) if possible, because they will say one thing, and do another. Unfortunately, in my case, it seems what they did was lie about certain things, but tell the truth about things that can be reproducible (like having the 60k maintenance done). The funny part is the classic lies told over the phone/email about the car's condition, and then when I drive 400 miles for the car, a lot wasn't mentioned to me, and/or misrepresented.

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Be sure to call Lexus Corporate and voice your complaints. Only way dealers like this will be kept in line.
Yes, calling lexus corporate is good as it lets corporate know about the issue, and is documented.

Originally Posted by tonynyc99
RX330inFL,

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. My purchasing experience was good (no pressure) and the salesperson and finance guy was very professional. I bought the car because of the quality and nice ride and room inside. I just wasn't too sure how much Lexus dealers haggle- I was only able to knock $2K off (maybe the smelled a novice buyer a mile away.) I did get CPO to reduce any headaches along the road, so I don't regret getting it. I am the nervous nelly types anyway.

One thing I would like to point out is that I learned (after the fact) that Carfax service items don't list everything the Lexus service log shows. The Carfax didn't show a one-time leak repair and some other small items. I won't sweat it though- I just hope that my investment is very reliable!
I think getting $2k off list price was pretty good I'm not sure how much you bought the car for though
Old 08-04-11, 04:43 PM
tonynyc99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPMD,

I bought it for 31K +TTL (listed at 33K), 09 RX with 40K mi, had Navi, Prem Pkg. Navi is a welcome change from my jangling of wires for GPS, etc in my old car.

I was new to the purchasing a Lexus and new to purchasing a fairly new pre-owned (I used to buy much older used cars.) I must say they were professional and low pressure. My paranoia made me think they were making mucho margin off of me! I don't mind businesses making a living off of me, not a fortune.

Only thing missing is the satellite pkg- I didn't realize it was not on this vehicle. Pricey to install I hear, so I am thinking about it first.
Old 08-04-11, 04:46 PM
tonynyc99
Driver School Candidate

RX330inFL,

I will be better prepared next time I buy a Lexus- which hopefully will be in 10 more years! I wonder what an RX will look then...
Old 08-04-11, 06:33 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tonynyc99
I will be better prepared next time I buy a Lexus- which hopefully will be in 10 more years! I wonder what an RX will look then...
Give yourself some credit. Seems like you did not do too bad. You got a decent discount and you have a vehicle you seem to be happy with. No new car major depreciation to deal with. Sure, you "might" have done better. But with what aggravation attached?

Quick story...
There was a dealer in the NE who owned several dealerships in PA and NJ -- all imports. As a customer, if you went in with an open mind and were not a jerk demanding to buy at dealer cost (or below), etc. he would give you very good pricing and throw things in for you on the deal without you asking. He made sure his sales people and service people treated his repeat customers very well. However, if you went in acting like an *** you were sometimes shown the door. He did not want those individuals business as they were usually "buy and gone," never to be seen again. As a result, these dealerships had people coming in from all over to include NY, MD, DE...

Remember, it is not always just about price. Hopefully, you will continue to have a wonderful experience with your dealer and many carefree miles.

Now, spend some time with your Owner's Manual and chime in here with your photos, questions and experiences. Good luck.
Old 08-04-11, 07:24 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tonynyc99- Enjoy your new RX! OEM navi is great! I also got 2K off the "internet price". Back to my original issue regarding the curb rash on all of the wheels, Sheehy Lexus is taking care of the issue for me! However, they haven't given my the CPO checklist. Unfortunately, I can't say I would buy from them again, nor recommend them, due to the many lies/misrepresentation of the car. I felt pressured, sales person called me many times a day, etc, giving me false promises of what the true condition of the car is in

The funny thing is, this "CPO" car had a few issues that needed to be taken care of after driving off Sheehy Lexus's lot, like the seat belt was twisted, creaking noise, etc. (things that I didn't see when I picked up the car). I took the RX to my service adviser at my local lexus dealer, Classic Lexus. He took care of everything, vacuumed the car, no charge Now THAT is service.
Old 11-21-12, 08:08 AM
BigVick
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 CPO - Help Please

Any help on what kind of offer to make on RX350 CPO 2010/2011 model years?

Based on a scan of 10 dealers, 2010 and 2011 model year RX350 asking prices are in the range of low $30k's to mid $30K's (depending on model year and with or without nav).

Anyone here able to provide help on how much to offer for these? Any idea how much these are currently selling for? I would like to find a deal for under $30K, so just wondering if that is possible or a waste of time. Thanks
Old 11-21-12, 09:22 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BigVick
Any help on what kind of offer to make on RX350 CPO 2010/2011 model years?

Based on a scan of 10 dealers, 2010 and 2011 model year RX350 asking prices are in the range of low $30k's to mid $30K's (depending on model year and with or without nav).

Anyone here able to provide help on how much to offer for these? Any idea how much these are currently selling for? I would like to find a deal for under $30K, so just wondering if that is possible or a waste of time. Thanks
Welcome to Club Lexus, BigVick.

Do you belong to a Credit Union? If so, check with them for pricing deals.

Check pricing for vehicles for sale in your area. For example:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/20...102&yrId=27381

BTW, we are the 2nd Generation RX folks. The vehicles you are looking at are 3rd Generation RX. Completely different animals.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...eneration-212/
Old 11-21-12, 10:11 AM
BigVick
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help FL
Old 11-28-12, 11:44 AM
alexNB
Driver School Candidate

Default Just FYI

Just FYI ... I was shopping for a used RX350 three years ago and visited few dealerships in northern New Jersey who were selling CPO 2007 RX350's for $29.5 - $32.5K. I specifically was looking for a car with rear-view camera option. After all negotiations failed, I walked away and ended up buying my car from the dealer’s auction for $23.5K. I decided that the price difference was worth the risk I was taking by purchasing a car at the auction.