RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Timing belt change nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 10:03 PM
luvrxxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SST took about thirty minutes to get materials at Ace Hardware & make. Please excuse the detail but it may help others too?

I. Channel beam (in metal bin, about 2" wide X 24" long X 1/4" thick). If this breaks, will just buy thicker beam and make another (was on motorcycle so took biggest one that would fit in backpack ha ha);

II. Cut beam about 11.5" long with portable half dead batteried Makita reciprocating saw;

[Some measurements taken with caliper on mm setting.]

III. Etch center line across length of beam. Start first hole for crank pulley "hold bolts" at 48mm from one end of beam, then drill second hole 66mm apart from first hole (forget what size drill bit, but "hold hole bolts" are metric 8X1.25 thread X 45.55mm long, Grade 8 or higher)...

Backed up hold bolts with about 15 (or so???) washers, flush against crank pulley (can't see washers in picture because they're on hold bolts behind beam, inside crank pulley recess);

IV. "Pulley Bolt" socket access hole centered at 33mm between hold bolt holes, drilled with 1 3/8" hole saw... Ace Hardware #24312 & Ace 1/4" Pilot Bit #24331...

This center hole accommodates a 22mm socket to break pulley bolt free. Pic shows it in "tighten" position (wanted to be sure it'd work both ways before removing bolt). Swap sides to loosen/ tighten, braced against suspension either way.

A good impact gun works but don't like idea of hammering these parts on my beautiful RX.

Schley makes harmonic balancer holding tool for $50 - $90, but this home made thing was quick & easy to make for $20, didn't have to wait for shipping and have a little extra beach/ concert/ fun money...

Name:  276ab1fa.jpg
Views: 4907
Size:  85.3 KB

Pix of some raw materials left over...

Name:  e80278d3.jpg
Views: 4690
Size:  43.9 KB

Pix of 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2" drive Snapon digi torque wrenches set at highest NM settings...

Name:  4d7749bb.jpg
Views: 4647
Size:  77.2 KB

Hope this helps!
Old 08-24-11, 04:59 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts
Thumbs up

Brilliant!

Salim
Old 08-24-11, 05:50 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by luvrxxx
Pix of 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2" drive Snapon digi torque wrenches set at highest NM settings...

WOW! What is that, $1500 of torque wrenches sitting there?
Old 08-24-11, 09:04 AM
dbl047
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the pics.... Yeah those torques wrenches are nice!!! be happy to have one of those Snap-on wrenches.
Old 08-24-11, 10:28 AM
salimshah

Time for me to buy a new tool ... need a TR that goes upto 200 lb-ft

Salim
Old 08-24-11, 10:59 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can put in a favorable word for the Schley tool referenced in post #17 (the crank pulley holder). Besides being useful for removing the crank pulley retaining bolt it also gives you the ability to use a breakover bar or ratchet to position the crank to the correct position for installing the timing belt. You can also use it for manually turning the crank through a couple rotations when the new timing belt is in place. The one I bought was $60 all-in from Amazon a little over a year ago. At the time I had three Toyota products with timing belts so it was easy to justify the purchase.
Old 08-24-11, 01:12 PM
luvrxxx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks S... easily made grunt tool!

The ATECH T.W.'s read in Newton Meters, Inch & Foot Pounds, and Angle (in degrees). Thought doing preventive maintenance myself would offset the cost of having good tools (useful for other projects).

Conversely, once saw a guy at Pep Boys on Hollywood Bl. ruin a brand new $150 battery with a new $15 tool kit so it could really go both ways for anyone. It's just nice to have good help (and to know) when needed!

Like the Schley line. Just ordered their valve shim removal tool, should be here this week. Touchy stuff.

Have a great day!

Last edited by luvrxxx; 08-24-11 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 08:25 AM
banyan
Driver School Candidate

RE: Post #16 - the home made tool as shown would make loosening the crank bolt possible, i would guess, but how about pulling the crank out after the bolt is removed? is it fairly easy or would a puller still needed?
Old 08-25-11, 09:29 AM
luvrxxx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by banyan
RE: Post #16 - the home made tool as shown would make loosening the crank bolt possible, i would guess, but how about pulling the crank out after the bolt is removed? is it fairly easy or would a puller still needed?
Pep Boys has an "OEM" brand puller that works for around $30 (not claw type, but bolts into two "side" bolt holes on harmonic balancer & turns at center). Keep center threads greased. Didn't come with case but is decent quality with "lifetime" warranty.

Off topic, also bought an "OEM" brand digital inch/ mm caliper which is identical to Snapon/ Bluepoint.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-25-11, 10:11 AM
banyan
Driver School Candidate

Pep Boys has an "OEM" brand puller that works for around $30 (not claw type, but bolts into two "side" bolt holes on harmonic balancer & turns at center). Keep center threads greased. Didn't come with case but is decent quality with "lifetime" warranty.

Off topic, also bought an "OEM" brand digital inch/ mm caliper which is identical to Snapon/ Bluepoint.

Hope this helps!
thx Luvrxxx. can you share the brand and model number of the puller from Pep boys? also, what is the digital caliper for?
Old 08-25-11, 03:02 PM
luvrxxx
Driver School Candidate

thx Luvrxxx. can you share the brand and model number of the puller from Pep boys? also, what is the digital caliper for?
OEM 27187 Harmonic Balancer Puller;

The caliper's OEM 25363, used to accurately measure things like valve shims on bikes & cars (may come in handy on the RX if can't read shims that need to be changed), harmonic balancer "hold bolt hole" distance for "SST", etc.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-25-11, 03:38 PM
salimshah

Each case is different. If you have rust between the shaft and the pulley, it will require patience. You need the puller for sure.

Salim
Old 08-25-11, 04:07 PM
dbl047
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know it this is the same for the RX400H?
Old 08-26-11, 04:42 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

SST took about thirty minutes to get materials at Ace Hardware & make. Please excuse the detail but it may help others too?

I. Channel beam (in metal bin, about 2" wide X 24" long X 1/4" thick). If this breaks, will just buy thicker beam and make another (was on motorcycle so took biggest one that would fit in backpack ha ha);

II. Cut beam about 11.5" long with portable half dead batteried Makita reciprocating saw;

[Some measurements taken with caliper on mm setting.]

III. Etch center line across length of beam. Start first hole for crank pulley "hold bolts" at 48mm from one end of beam, then drill second hole 66mm apart from first hole (forget what size drill bit, but "hold hole bolts" are metric 8X1.25 thread X 45.55mm long, Grade 8 or higher)...

Backed up hold bolts with about 15 (or so???) washers, flush against crank pulley (can't see washers in picture because they're on hold bolts behind beam, inside crank pulley recess);

IV. "Pulley Bolt" socket access hole centered at 33mm between hold bolt holes, drilled with 1 3/8" hole saw... Ace Hardware #24312 & Ace 1/4" Pilot Bit #24331...

This center hole accommodates a 22mm socket to break pulley bolt free. Pic shows it in "tighten" position (wanted to be sure it'd work both ways before removing bolt). Swap sides to loosen/ tighten, braced against suspension either way.

A good impact gun works but don't like idea of hammering these parts on my beautiful RX.

Schley makes harmonic balancer holding tool for $50 - $90, but this home made thing was quick & easy to make for $20, didn't have to wait for shipping and have a little extra beach/ concert/ fun money...

Pix of some raw materials left over...

Hope this helps!
That is super, Thank you for the dimensions, I didnt have to figure anything out, made my tool today with scrap in my garage and tried it on the Lexus, it fit perfect with your writeup...Now to get brave enough to do the job....
Old 08-26-11, 04:43 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dbl047
Anyone know it this is the same for the RX400H?
Yep it is, I just finished my tool with the deminsions and it fit my RX400h perfectly....

Quick Reply: Timing belt change nightmare