RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Have a major issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 04:11 PM
bsktbll
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Have a little issue

Hi! I have a major issue here with my 2004 Lexus RX330. I was trying to install the Grom Audio unit which allows a person to use their iPod or other USB device through their car CD player. Well in order to install the Grom Audio system I needed to get to my car radio. I followed the steps online to do this but got stuck at one part. I needed to remove a total of 4 10mm bolts under the car radio. I removed two of them with no problem. But then there are two more 10mm bolts on each side of the radio. Well I was trying to get the left side bolt out when all of a sudden the bolt head broke off. So now I am not able to get my radio apart to install my Grom Audio and I have a bolt that is broken. I would really have no issue having one bolt missing though the issue is there is no way I can get it removed because of where the bolt is located. My question is if I take my Lexus to my local dealership would they be able to get the bolt removed and replace it? How much would it cost? Could I be able to do it myself? Any help is appreciated! Thank you very much!

Last edited by bsktbll; 07-02-11 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 04:27 PM
bsktbll
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pictures to better show what I am trying to say. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Have a major issue-photo.jpg   Have a major issue-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 07-01-11, 04:31 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I don't understand, if the bolt head broke off what is stopping the removal of the HU?
Old 07-01-11, 04:36 PM
bsktbll
Driver School Candidate

The screw is still stuck in the bolt area. This is harder to explain than what I thought haha. I basically snapped off the top of the bolt if you will but everything else of the bolt is still inside the hole. I will add another picture of what a normal bolt looks like the bolt head I snapped off.
Old 07-01-11, 04:44 PM
bsktbll
Driver School Candidate

Smile

The first picture shows the broken bolt. Its the golden tip on top of the wrench. The second picture shows a normal bolt that came out fine. As you can see the broken one only has the head on it.
Attached Thumbnails Have a major issue-photo-5-.jpg   Have a major issue-photo-6-.jpg  
Old 07-01-11, 05:24 PM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

try broken bolt/screw removal kit
Old 07-01-11, 06:31 PM
bsktbll
Driver School Candidate

Hmm...I don't know if that will work because the bolt is so far back in the console. But I will give it a try.
Old 07-01-11, 08:04 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the screw head is broken off can you remove the HU? If you can no worries, you have 3 other screws holding it in place. If not, try and drill the screw out and extract it. GL
Old 07-01-11, 08:47 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

As mentioned, a deformed head will prevent the object from being removed. Broken head will allow the hu to be removed and the problem will be in installing/securing the new HU. 3 screws instead of all four should be able to hold the new (or even if you want to put back the old one). I would put a soft felt (or a pad) to prevent noise due to vibration.

You can but a long drill and drill out the broken piece. Screw extractors can be used to pull the old broken stud. Since the extractors are short in length, you can buy a color to extend it. To do a perfect job, you can use a tap tap to ream out the hole. If things go really bad in extraction, you can always use the next bigger size tap/threads.

How did you manage to break it?

Salim
Old 07-01-11, 08:52 PM
bsktbll
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help guys! So let me get this straight, if I remove all the other bolts on the bottom of the head unit I should be able to take apart the radio? The way I did this was a very, very stupid mistake. I was moving the ratchet the wrong way and instead of loosing it I was tightening it and all of a sudden poof, the bolt came off. As you can see I have pretty much no clue what I am doing, haha. But, I have read online that installing the Grom unit is very easy and takes little knowledge, guess I was wrong.
Old 07-01-11, 10:55 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lefty loosey righty tighty
Old 07-02-11, 12:41 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

Ouch. We've all done stupid mistakes when turnign a wrench friend. That's how we all learn.
And if you look at the bright side, you may even learn how to tap and dye a threaded hole.

If you can remove the unit now WITHOUT taking out the broken bolt, then the three you have remaining will secure it enough.
If you CANNOT remove the unit, you will need to drill it out, or use any of the various methods above to remove the broken bolt.

A youtube search may help with the learning process. Good luck friend.
Old 07-02-11, 03:48 PM
bsktbll
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for the help. I went to BestBuy and scheduled an appointment with them for them to install. I have found out that I should not mess around with my car. If I showed someone at say AutoZone the type of bolt I have (through one of the extra ones I have), do you think they would be able to replace it? I don't expect them to give me the SAME bolt as before but will they be able to give me something similar? Thanks again for the help, as usual.
Old 07-02-11, 04:01 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW I thought maybe the engine blew or there was some life threatening ABS brake issue. Title of post does not equal the issue at hand lol!
Old 07-02-11, 04:10 PM
bsktbll
Driver School Candidate

Haha, it is a major issue to me . I hate when I screw up something with me car. I'll change the title to something a little less scary!

Quick Reply: Have a major issue