RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Water Leak on A Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 02:41 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Water Leak on A Pillar

Anyone ever had a problem where they have discovered a water leak on the A pillar driver's side (note right-hand drive). We had a down pour today and my car has never exhibited this before. I got in my car today and noticed that there was a wet spot at the top and a wet spot under and to the side of the tweeter. This seemed to be quite soaked as pushing on it you could feel it was wet. I checked around the A-pillar and it goes up a little into the roof lining (about an 1/8th of the way on the top of the door. Everywhere else is dry. The picture you see here was after I got home and left my car on an incline, meaning that it would have drained from the top down. I don't understand where any of this is coming from. The only thing I noticed was that when I got back in my car today and moved off, I heard a small gush of water, but that was about it. The car was on level ground, so don't understand what's going on here.

How do I take off the A-pillar so I can see if something has jammed up or something?
The following users liked this post:
AngelsISF (09-14-23)
Old 06-28-11, 08:55 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!! Could the leakage be around the windshield?
Old 06-28-11, 10:11 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow, indeed. Definitely an unexpected failure of some time. Agree it might be the window seal or the drainage channel around the driver door. Doesn't even need to be a big hole. Can just be a pin hole to do that. Check those seals and gasket areas for any cracks, deformation, etc.

Next, if you want to try, get out the garden hose and with someone inside the vehicle try pouring water on various sections of that area. Does not need to be high pressure. Just slow and steady so you have control over where the water is going.
Old 06-28-11, 10:17 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

I suspect the covers for the A pillars probably snap in. Try a wide wedge tool to pry the cover off.

Yes, garden hose is great idea and use the jet setting to simulate downpour.
Old 06-28-11, 04:17 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Well it's raining for the next few days and the car is at the train station exposed to the elements, so I will see what happens when I get back to the car this afternoon. I did think about getting the garden hose and trying to simulate a downpour. I washed the car 2 weeks ago without issue, and it was in the rain last week as well, so it's definately a "new" thing.
Old 06-28-11, 06:32 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
I suspect the covers for the A pillars probably snap in. Try a wide wedge tool to pry the cover off.

Yes, garden hose is great idea and use the jet setting to simulate downpour.
Careful!! Air Bags in there most likely. Pain to put back in.
Old 06-28-11, 06:52 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
Careful!! Air Bags in there most likely. Pain to put back in.
Oh crap! You're right the airbags!
Old 06-28-11, 07:31 PM
My92SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a sunroof? If so it may be your problem, or the drain lines for it. There are usually 4 drain holes in sunroofs that are located at each corner, draining down the inside of the front and rear pillars.
Old 06-30-11, 07:10 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I do have a sunroof. We had another down pour today (not as bad as the last one) and I didn't get the same symptom again.

Will keep an eye on it though.
Old 06-30-11, 09:49 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My92SC300
Do you have a sunroof? If so it may be your problem, or the drain lines for it. There are usually 4 drain holes in sunroofs that are located at each corner, draining down the inside of the front and rear pillars.
I'm betting on this, plugged drains are a very likely suspect.
Old 11-22-14, 02:47 PM
kmk786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue when it rains.

Having the same issue with our 2004 RX330. Had the dealer check the sunroof drains and it was clean. They seem to think it is with the body of the vehicle and wanted to weld two spots at the rear hatch gate, close to the top. I did watch them pour a cup of water and it went through the the rear and came out by the seat belt termination point (rear seat).

Does anyone discovered the cause and the remedy? Any knowledge sharing would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-15-19, 05:47 PM
RX711
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2004 RX 330. Experiencing te same as the OP. So what was the solution? Myverhicle is parked on the street however, on inclineit leans to the right. I noticed this morning after a storm water on both the left and right sides near the tweeter. However the right side where the vehicle tilts had a wet spot near the top of the A pillar. Also the floor on that side was very damp. I cleaned some debris after opening the sun roof but could not locate the holes due to lack of time. Now with more downpour seems the top A pillar is wet a gain as I see a water stain forming. How to fix this? Clear the drain holes with compressed air?
Old 01-18-19, 12:30 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Has to be the drain line from the sunroof.
Old 01-19-19, 08:43 AM
edwardh11
Driver

how are those lines cleaned? brush? coat hanger? compressed air??? flex wire?
Old 01-19-19, 09:27 PM
RX711
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fixed it this weekend. Will post extensive photos later when have time.

Quick Reply: Water Leak on A Pillar