RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Bunch of lights on the dash, again

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 04:44 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bunch of lights on the dash, again

This time it is ABS, Brake, VSC at steady and low tire pressure blinking.

These lights come on totally unpredictably, either during traffic, or making a turn, and come off after vehicle is turned off and stays parked for a few hours.

Haven't checked the codes yet because it is hard to recreate, they are not always on....Any idea what am I dealing with now?
Old 06-13-11, 05:36 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

It is the Brake switch which is below the brake pedal. It is the primary cause fo this issue. Some have said there was a TSB issued on this and that dealers should take care of it, but I am not sure. I have this same issue and am awaiting my new brake switch to come in (its shipped but not here yet). Once it comes in I will install and repost to see if this solves issue.
Old 06-13-11, 06:16 PM
Kostyan
Pole Position

I had stopped by local AutoParts store and scanned for codes...there are no codes found.

btw the brake switch was replaced about a year ago, and back I think the lights stayed on for a while, and didn't go off....anyone else has the same problem as I do?
Old 06-13-11, 08:29 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

All the research I've done, says that the brake switch (and the circuit) are what causes the multiple lights to come one. Also, the brake switch must be calibrated properly fyi.

If you find another cause, please post. I'm also curious what else might cause so many lights to light up without codes.

I think it could possibly be a speed sensor gone bad as this relates to both the traction control, ABS, etc.
Old 06-14-11, 12:30 PM
onedukeof
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Switch

Had the same problem, with the same indicator lights going on. Replaced the brake light switch & all is well!!
Old 06-17-11, 06:20 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

does the ECU throw any error codes under brake light switch problem?

My brake light switch was replaced in Febr 2010 so I do not remember if any codes were thrown. Just called the dealer, and of course, they would need to be able to recreate, and without codes thrown, I am afraid to be taken for a "replace half a car" kinda ride.

Has anyone have any TPMS sensors mounted on the wheels go out - what are the symptoms when that happens. My tech once said that those sensors are powered by batteries and need to be replaced every few years.
Old 06-17-11, 06:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Gotta be the brake switch. Mine was replaced uner warranty.
Old 06-17-11, 10:29 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

well...my brake light switch won't be covered, and I'll end up paying for repair out of my own pocket.

mandifyg - when brake light switch is malfunctioning, is there an error code(s) thrown?

My tech says that the code scan I did using the Autozone scanner does not scan for ABS codes.

What is the best price on a brake switch and what's the part number?
Old 06-17-11, 05:27 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kostyan
well...my brake light switch won't be covered, and I'll end up paying for repair out of my own pocket.

mandifyg - when brake light switch is malfunctioning, is there an error code(s) thrown?

My tech says that the code scan I did using the Autozone scanner does not scan for ABS codes.

What is the best price on a brake switch and what's the part number?
You can search for RX330 Brake Switch on EBAY MOTORS and you will find what you need friend. About 20 to 40 bucks. Its underneath dash above brake pedal / under steering column. Its a bit of a pain to get to because you have to lye face up towards dash to see it.

There won't be any error codes on an OBDII scanner. You wouldhave to have the Lexus specialty scanner for any "codes" to pull up. When Brake switch goes bad, no OBDII error codes are shown.