RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power Acoustik Head Rest DVD Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 07:04 PM
Tomcho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Acoustik Head Rest DVD Installation

With the help of the great generation 3 write below I ordered and installed my head rest monitors today. GregDallas provided some great detailed information, I'm posting mine as I had a few minor hiccups and since I have an 09 it made sense to have it in the generation 2 sub forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l-writeup.html

These are the units I bought, half the price of similar Vizualogic and I believe a quarter of the factory cost.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik...7930627&sr=8-3

Overall things went smooth but there were a few hiccups. Some perhaps because my RX is a 2009 and the other an odd component choice by the manufacturer.

Before shot...

Driver seat back removed, exact same procedure as GregDallas explained.

Both seat backs removed

Issue number one, there is isn't or I missed a 12v switched power source in either seat. I saw a similar cable bundle with the red wire as Greg but that didn't provide constant power or switched 12v. I opened another cable bundle and saw a pink cable, and same issue no power there. So I brought the passenger power cable over to the driver side and ran a single run along the driver seat all the way to front fuse panel.

Similar to the OP, the look ma no wires shot

Lastly, the finished product. Pond Hockey for Dad and Bee The Movie for my daughter.

My other issue is about the product design. Each monitor as an input and output, the theory being you can connect them together to play the same DVD on both screens. The problem is the included cables for this are both female. I guess this is to add another permanent source, but I'd imagine most people are going to want to connect the players together. Plus there is another input on the screen itself for connecting a different source. It's hard to tell from this shot but those RCA plugs with the caps on them are inputs and outputs from each monitor. IMO one side should be female so you can connect them.

Therefore, I'll need to buy 3 RCA couplers to finalize the install.

Last edited by Tomcho; 06-12-11 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 08:07 PM
Haunches
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished product looks nice.......

But after looking at all those wires I'm glad I convinced the dealer to install my dual headrest DVD player before I took the keys.
Old 06-12-11, 09:30 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work! Thanks for the write up, in particularly the shots of the seat trim removal.. it'll come in handy for when I install a harrier rear table.