RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX330 AWD air suspension conversion work

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-11, 07:31 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2004 RX330 AWD air suspension conversion work

Trying to research replacing air suspension in 2004 RX330 AWD with non-air lexus system. I read in another thread somewhere that swapping air system with replacement air is bolt off, bolt on work.

Is it the same with conversion work given all lexus parts, say from Sewell?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-11, 08:36 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts

I've rep;aced an air strut in mine and other than the spring, its not really much different. However, you will have issues regarding the ride height sensors and air pump for the suspension which you will have to disconnect.

The strut itself bolts into the steering knuckle just the same whether it is an air set up or spring. I will say this though...if you are looking to loosen the two bolts and nuts that go through the bottom of the strut / knuckle, you better have a 6POINT 22MM SOCKET and a HUGE LONG BREAKER BAR because those bad boys are on tight man!

You will need a 22mm wrench to stop the bolt from rotating while loosening the nut too.

Other than the electronics associated with the air suspension, it is a bolt on / off conversion.
Old 06-12-11, 02:42 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting swap.. just curious what's the advantage of doing the air swap (especially if you can't control the ride height)?
Old 06-12-11, 07:35 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Howiefied
Interesting swap.. just curious what's the advantage of doing the air swap (especially if you can't control the ride height)?
Cheaper in the long run, less dangerous on long drives, less worries. I don't go off road so don't need the height control.

The RX was only used one in the lot when we bought in 2007 and it had the sport package. I thought that we would replace it after maybe three years but it's been four and we may hold on to it despite the various issues.

Wish someone would make simple cars again.
Old 06-12-11, 07:38 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
I've rep;aced an air strut in mine and other than the spring, its not really much different. However, you will have issues regarding the ride height sensors and air pump for the suspension which you will have to disconnect.

The strut itself bolts into the steering knuckle just the same whether it is an air set up or spring. I will say this though...if you are looking to loosen the two bolts and nuts that go through the bottom of the strut / knuckle, you better have a 6POINT 22MM SOCKET and a HUGE LONG BREAKER BAR because those bad boys are on tight man!

You will need a 22mm wrench to stop the bolt from rotating while loosening the nut too.

Other than the electronics associated with the air suspension, it is a bolt on / off conversion.
Thanks for the tips. I think I do have 22mm socket but not the breaker bar. Will look for one at used shop or Princess auto in Ottawa.

So how did you disconnect the electronics that were related to the air suspension? Did you do it yourself or the dealer did it for you?
Old 06-12-11, 08:47 AM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

As for the electronics, you really would only need to disconnect the pump I think. I do not think the ride height sensors (which are not connected to the struts themselves) are connected with any other system.

I think if you disconnect the pump, the sensors would simply send the signal as needed to the pump, but nothing would happen obviously. The only thing that could happen, but may not, is the dash signal for ride height would be lit though.
Old 06-12-11, 03:05 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lex_rx
Thanks for the tips. I think I do have 22mm socket but not the breaker bar. Will look for one at used shop or Princess auto in Ottawa.

Just fyi.

I just bought a makita cordless impact wrench for jobs like that (and undoing wheel lugs etc), seen guys use them at the track. Was pretty cheap too at $145 w/o batteries.. might come in handy if your playing around with cars alot.
Old 06-12-11, 06:08 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Howiefied
Just fyi.

I just bought a makita cordless impact wrench for jobs like that (and undoing wheel lugs etc), seen guys use them at the track. Was pretty cheap too at $145 w/o batteries.. might come in handy if your playing around with cars alot.
Good reminder. I do have an impact wrench. As long as I can get under the car properly to use my wrench as it is not cordless.
Old 06-20-11, 05:40 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

As for the electronics, you really would only need to disconnect the pump I think. I do not think the ride height sensors (which are not connected to the struts themselves) are connected with any other system.

I think if you disconnect the pump, the sensors would simply send the signal as needed to the pump, but nothing would happen obviously. The only thing that could happen, but may not, is the dash signal for ride height would be lit though.
My dealer said the right rear air bag for the air suspension is shot. Have to replace it for $800 parts plus about $200 labor + 13% tax. So I'm really thinking on replacing the air with non-air system.

HtownBlue, which replacement non-air shock and strut did you use? And how is going so far with you car? Btw, which year of RX do you have?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-11, 05:46 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lex_rx
My dealer said the right rear air bag for the air suspension is shot. Have to replace it for $800 parts plus about $200 labor + 13% tax. So I'm really thinking on replacing the air with non-air system.

HtownBlue, which replacement non-air shock and strut did you use? And how is going so far with you car? Btw, which year of RX do you have?

Thanks.
I didn't use a non air strut. I replaced the one I had that went bad. I bought it for 800 dollars and did the work myself. I think the entire job took me about an hour maybe for one strut (including jacking up the car, and wrestling with the rediculously tight strut bolts/nuts) **use a 6 point socket 22mm IIRC but make sure it si a tight fitted socket because you will be putting a ton of torque on those bolts / nuts.

Others here would know which spring strut is best for the RX330. I've always had the air suspension on my RX330 so I wouldn't know which brand works best, but I imiagine most high end brands are likely to perform well.
Old 06-24-11, 07:28 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Just closing off this one. I went with air strut replacement at the dealer for C$1,200. Local shops either didn't want to touch the air suspension or can't get non-air parts from their various suppliers.

I'll post a photo of the busted airbag soon.
Old 06-24-11, 08:07 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do Arnott or Strutmaster make replacement bags?
Old 06-25-11, 09:47 AM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carver
Do Arnott or Strutmaster make replacement bags?
I think strutmaster makes a replacement, but the cost is abotu the same IIRC as the OEM.
Old 06-25-11, 10:22 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I think strutmaster makes a replacement, but the cost is abotu the same IIRC as the OEM.
Did not see any, just Monroe struts listed for the RX330.
Old 07-11-11, 10:53 PM
stevengtt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to get an TRD, it works well!