RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Are you using a K&N air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 09:26 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are you using a K&N air filter?

I've been deciding between an actual air intake system or just dropping a K&N filter in it and after listening to several youtube vids of the Secret R, etc I think a K&N will be more suitable for this car.

I've read dozens of posts about it but none from 330 owners that I can recall. I would be interested in hearing your experiences with it. Specifically, has one ever thrown a code other than poor re-oiling after cleaning?

Tell me what you think!
Old 06-04-11, 10:27 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using K&N air filter and oil filter on my RX. It runs great for the last 9 months. No code was alert on the re-oiling of filter.
Old 06-04-11, 11:07 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i worked at ACURA, there was a TSB which advised customers against using high flow airfilters, such as K&N. the reason is beacuse they let more air in, and therefore, by default they have to let more dirt in too.

if they were that great, they would come from the factory with such a filter.
Old 06-04-11, 11:29 AM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&N is proven. If you clean and oil it regularly, you wont incur any problems.

Originally Posted by kiwi
when i worked at ACURA, there was a TSB which advised customers against using high flow airfilters, such as K&N. the reason is beacuse they let more air in, and therefore, by default they have to let more dirt in too.

if they were that great, they would come from the factory with such a filter.
The word is ACURA. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for Acuras. These "K&N" are mostly china made CAI's (cold air intake) that ricers put on their cars. They don't make the filter very well and most of them, you don't even oil it.

IMO, K&N is a trusted name and if maintained properly, its a fairly simple engine mod your butt dyno will appreciate.
Old 06-04-11, 01:23 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Carver, someone on here mentioned when they used it, it made the extra noise when he got on it. But no extra power, or mpg`s from it.
Old 06-04-11, 03:20 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexus114
Carver, someone on here mentioned when they used it, it made the extra noise when he got on it. But no extra power, or mpg`s from it.
Negative to positive posts seem to run 40/60 as to whether there is any benefit to using one. I got a boost from the Magnaflow and I want to get a little bit more airflow from the intake. They are 34 bucks on Amazon so it will be a fairly painless experiment.

My main concern was throwing a code from a new filter and only one person said they had that happen. I'm hoping the combination of Magnaflow and K&N will improve throttle response even more than what I got from the muff, it made me hungry for more!
Old 06-04-11, 04:37 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

I have the Secret weapon R and the K&N filter. The secret weapon R give the car a lot more spark right off the line and the sound was great, when I punched the gas. I have the K&N filter in there right now. No real benefit other than I don't have to change the filter that much.
Old 06-04-11, 07:32 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Would you be willing to do a dyno run before the k&n air filter and then a dyno run after the filter is put in???? Doing this within minutes of each other to maintain similar temperature and climate for both tests
Old 06-05-11, 12:18 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're really just tinkering around the edges with things like filters.. besides the seat-of-your-pants-dyno, I doubt there's anything to be had here.

In any case I'm running a K&N Filter (panel-type) and i'm pretty happy with it from a servicing point of view.
Old 06-05-11, 07:23 AM
willyb0b
Pole Position

I've heard that since a high flow filter like a K&N allows more air into the engine that the computer will adjust for the extra air by pushing in more fuel for the combustion cycle; therefore, decreasing fuel mileage.
Old 06-05-11, 07:54 AM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The effect with would be minimal in terms of maintaining a/f ratios. Even on forced induction you're hard pressed to notice with a small increase in boost. I've had a car up from 7psi stock to 14psi and my fuel economy improved from not being on wot all the time.
Old 06-05-11, 07:56 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a same set up as Adam8065. I'm very happy with the set-up.
Old 06-05-11, 08:13 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diverchris
I've got a same set up as Adam8065. I'm very happy with the set-up.
I gathered from Adam's post he was no longer running the Weapon R. Are you using the WR or just the K&N? If you guys have stopped using the Weapon R what were your reasons.
Old 06-05-11, 08:59 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
I gathered from Adam's post he was no longer running the Weapon R. Are you using the WR or just the K&N? If you guys have stopped using the Weapon R what were your reasons.
I loved the weapon R, the problem with me was I kept gunning the car when I had it in there, that is the reason I removed it. Other than that it worked great. I put the K&N filter because I always drive the Rx slowly, and it helps facilitate that

I am selling My Secret weapon R intake and I do have an extra K&N filter if anyone is interested, (Don't ask why I have two, but I do)

I have done everything to make the car a little quicker and the things that have done that are my flowmaster exhaust, Torque spark plugs, and the Secret Weapon R intake.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 06-05-11, 09:07 PM
JLSC
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been using a K&N air filter for almost 2 years without any problems. I didn't notice any difference in performance or gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Are you using a K&N air filter?