RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Are you using a K&N air filter?

Old 06-08-11, 08:46 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only other performance enhancement that I have found, yet it scares me a lot, is removing the ECM. The EMC is given to Jet Performance, they re-program ECM, ship it back to you. Then you re-installed re-programmed ECM.
I've used Jet Performance products in the past and they have been wonderful, yet I never had to remove my ECM and ship it out.
If anyone has done this procedure, can they please comment on it.
Chris
Old 06-08-11, 09:44 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
The only other performance enhancement that I have found, yet it scares me a lot, is removing the ECM. The EMC is given to Jet Performance, they re-program ECM, ship it back to you. Then you re-installed re-programmed ECM.
I've used Jet Performance products in the past and they have been wonderful, yet I never had to remove my ECM and ship it out.
If anyone has done this procedure, can they please comment on it.
Chris

What kind of modification would you want done to the ecm?
Old 06-09-11, 09:11 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

I was looking for a guinea pig to explain this. I've used Jet in the past to 'chip' domestic cars and the improvements were remarkable
Old 06-09-11, 09:12 AM
jmonkie76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in a K&N filter into my ride, mainly for maintenance purps.
I really like all the comments here; and I'll say to each their own. I like messing with cars as well and found that since the 330 is my second but first family car, I'm also just having some fun doing as much as time and money allows. Going the way of the magnaflow will be harder for me.
Old 06-09-11, 03:17 PM
Howiefied
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
I was looking for a guinea pig to explain this. I've used Jet in the past to 'chip' domestic cars and the improvements were remarkable
Is he reprogramming the ecu or just 'chipping'? To really get it to work he'll need access to a/f meter and a real time dyno. It ought to be done on the spot to the donor car so flat spots can be smoothed properly in realtime... none of this take out your ecu and send it back business.

Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1Uv...e_gdata_player

I had a nistune remap done on my R34 skyline and was completely happy with it, much better option at the time to spending $1800+tuning time on a PowerFC.

P.s. Proper remap needs a daughterboard in order to access and write to the parts of the ecu that control timing, fuel, ignition. Ask him who develops the board and ask him if his remap covers all the above (rather than chipping which just tricks the signals that control fuel, and don't provide a full fuel mapping).

Pps. For *****s and giggles google Wayne Besanko, the chipping business is a bit of a scam.

Last edited by Howiefied; 06-09-11 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-09-11, 06:12 PM
monkeyRX
Rookie

I like the idea of modding our vehicles for fuel efficiency or performance gains. I don't think the K&N filters will do anything more than a clean standard filter. I don't think an aftermarket catback muffler on the rx make any difference either, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong with before and after dyno sheets.
Old 06-12-11, 08:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Maybe just put a Turbo Muffler in place of that big *** muffler under there. I thought about doing it,but I dont want it loud.
Old 01-15-12, 10:36 PM
compdr59
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I put one in the other day because I was due for my usual 30k replacement, now at 90K. The car always had a slight hesitation since it was new. The K&N Filter has eliminated that part throttle hesitation and feels more responsive. It did not improve gas mileage, because I assume more air would require more fuel. I wish I did this years ago.
Old 01-16-12, 06:20 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's going to improve my throttle response over stock, then I think I may go down the line and buy me a genuine K&N air filter for my RX. I have been convinced after reading the thread. Hopefully I won't throw a code. What happens if I do? Do I need to get it reset? Do I have to take it to a stealership?
Old 01-16-12, 06:23 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Also does this give an air noise when WOT?
Old 01-17-12, 05:44 AM
neilaz
Driver School Candidate

High air flow filters and CAI's only improve HP once you get into the high RPM range. Something around 5k-6k rpm's.
Old 01-17-12, 06:28 AM
jconst6558
Driver School Candidate

Having concerns about the ability of the K&N to trap fine particles, I bought the AFE dry element filter. It supposedly flows freer and catches much more of the fine stuff. Got it off Ebay for about $38. It's lifetime and you just wash it out. No oil to cause problems. Very well made.
Old 01-17-12, 10:36 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always used a K&N filter. Does it improve milage? Probably a little. Does it make more horsepower? Maybe a bit. Does it cost me waaaaaay less than the factory filters over the life of my car? Absolutely!!!

If you dont dip the filter in oil then you will never have an issue with the sensors. Wash, dry, light spray, wipe down and install. This has worked for me for years and years.
Old 01-18-12, 05:33 AM
compdr59
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I still can't believe the improvement in throttle response. It feel like I just had a $500 tune up after replacing my air filter. My 2004 RX330 w/ 90k has been hesitating for years prior. It must have been starving for air using the stock and Fram air filters. So far no error codes, drove 1000 miles over the weekend including full throttle blasts. It's nice to have it running normal.

In the past I tried fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and I was considering paying to have it done professionally. Drove at high RPM to possible blow out carbon. Nothing worked. I though owning a Lexus was just a car to get from place to place as a luxury car w/ no excitement.

This is primarily my wife's car that I drive on weekends. She doesn't complain but I still have to enjoy what I drive. I use a 2005 PT Turbo Convertible to use on weekdays, my toy.
Old 01-18-12, 07:08 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I have always used a K&N filter. Does it improve milage? Probably a little. Does it make more horsepower? Maybe a bit. Does it cost me waaaaaay less than the factory filters over the life of my car? Absolutely!!!

If you dont dip the filter in oil then you will never have an issue with the sensors. Wash, dry, light spray, wipe down and install. This has worked for me for years and years.

And only oil the dirt side of the filter, not both sides.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you using a K&N air filter?