RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Front Wheel Bearings - DIY Step by Step

Old 06-05-11, 12:14 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Great work!! It must have taken forever to compile this whole thing.
Old 01-29-12, 07:04 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Thank you, now I have my cheat sheet for doing job....I ordered a Timken bearing replacement and will attempt either today or tomorrow...
Same procedure for RX300 also, which I did, but dont have the patient to write up. Really great job.
Old 01-29-12, 07:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

This is good stuff, way beyond my tools and capability. Awesome post though. What's your next project?
Old 01-29-12, 09:24 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately, Htownblue has been scarce for a while. He was a real addition to the 2gen forum, kind of our own Lexmex or Salim.
Old 01-29-12, 07:18 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Oh man, just major messed up...while pressing bearing out the Brake caliper mounting bracket points on the steering nuckle bent....The part looked like it was not original equipment as it had a mark like what they put on junkyards parts. I did this job before and those two mounting points didnt bend on the RX300 steering knuckle...Any thoughts other than buy new. The caliper is too close and rubbing on the inside edge of the disk. what a major pita. Sewell haas the steering knuckle for 245 but I will also have to replace the bearing again as trying to remove one destroys them. What a bad ending to what i thought was going to be a successful day. The old bearing was bad by the way.
Old 01-30-12, 06:12 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Just thinking overnight, the steering knuckle is cast steel, man you would think it would not bend...going to be a $300-$400 dollar whoops...need a new knuckle and bearing....found one at a wrecker but it is off a 05 RX330 and according to all parts sites the number is 4321208020 versus 4321258020 however they claim it fits RX400h...That makes me nervous, was there a change or just a number change....any thoughts the part is $170 or best offer...
Old 01-30-12, 07:20 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would trust the part number more than some yahoo at the wrecking yard, can they give you a return on it?

I hope you are able to get those two boys out of that estrogen cloud for a little man time every now and then.
Old 01-30-12, 08:55 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

wow my local toyota dealer matched Sewell Lexus for the parts cost....THe steering knuckle they had to order but will be in tomorrow... I went ahead and ordered the correct part number knuckle. Just have to chalk this one up to whoops, sometimes things go bad.
Oh and Grandson is watching and helping in this mess, We are bonding while wife is away. I hate lonely house....He is a bright young man and likes to learn....
Old 01-31-12, 02:28 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Success, part came in installed bearing, and Car is quiet as can be....So Front left bearing was causing all of my noise....
Old 12-06-15, 06:18 PM
rxpx40
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviving an oldie but goodie. The growling noise coming from the front end on the wife's RX finally came to a head. I had the new wheel bearing but was waiting for the best time to remove the front right hub and take to a shop to have old bearing pressed out, new bearing pressed in. Still not 100% assured that was the problem. The wife drew the line. Told me she was taking my truck to go Christmas shopping and I'd better get her car fixed.
Raised the car, pulled the hub, took it to AutoNation (Previously known as Champion Toyota)
They charged me $150 to press out the old, press in the new. Time is money so having it done Saturday was the only option. Bottom line- Noise is GONE. Wife is happy, We all be happy now
Old 12-11-15, 11:49 AM
nickt93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rxpx40
...was waiting for the best time to remove the front right hub and take to a shop to have old bearing pressed out, new bearing pressed in. Still not 100% assured that was the problem. The wife drew the line. Told me she was taking my truck to go Christmas shopping and I'd better get her car fixed.
I'm in the EXACT same situation! I've been putting this off, mainly because I did the wheel bearings on my Miata a few months ago and pressing them in and out was a beyotch. This time I'm going to wise up and do what you did; take it to a pro. I just called a local machine shop and got a quote of $35. Not bad!

Until I get it fixed my wife keeps stealing my IS-F
Old 05-31-17, 10:23 PM
aeroelasti
Rookie

Hi, can I do this without taking the whole assembly knuckle off? Will the drive shaft come out with only the ball joint removed?
Old 06-05-17, 06:09 AM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aeroelasti
Hi, can I do this without taking the whole assembly knuckle off? Will the drive shaft come out with only the ball joint removed?
You can remove the drive shaft/axle from the knuckle by disconnecting the steering knuckle from the suspension but keeping the ball joint attached. As for removing the bearing.....hahahahahaha.......good luck with that. You could try bearing removers but a press is likely your only real option.
Old 06-17-17, 05:36 AM
Zacapp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque spec please

I plan to replace passenger side Wheel Bearing soon. DIY write-up by HtownBlue is great. The only thing missing is the torque spec. Can anyone post the torque spec to complete this job?Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-17, 04:22 PM
aeroelasti
Rookie

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
You can remove the drive shaft/axle from the knuckle by disconnecting the steering knuckle from the suspension but keeping the ball joint attached. As for removing the bearing.....hahahahahaha.......good luck with that. You could try bearing removers but a press is likely your only real option.
All, managed to replace my front right bearing, took hub off brought to shop for press then re installed. BUT, the humming noise I used to have is still there!!! I was quite confident it was the front right bearing as the noise went away while turning right, appears while turn left. Increase with speed, louder after longer run (more than 15mins). What else can it be? Will a rear right wheel bearing caused this noise? It's low humming sounds like tires running on rough surface. I have already swapped tire out one by one but still there... Any suggestion? thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX330 Front Wheel Bearings - DIY Step by Step