RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-14, 04:52 PM
EvanVDL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got around to buying some rims and winter tires for the RX just before more snow falls.

Rims are 18-inch OEM-style (gunmetal). Colour looks really nice in person with the Flint Mica paint. Can't wait for more snow to fall to try these out (as you can see in the pictures on my Z and the ground, most of it has melted).
Attached Thumbnails The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)-img_5337-2.jpg   The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)-img_5343.jpg   The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)-img_5342.jpg  
Old 11-05-14, 06:24 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah..I will. I don't have before and after though because I literally got the bulbs in the mail in Portland, installed them, then hit the road to Phoenix. But I drove with them on the whole way so they already have about 30 hours of drive time and are broke in. I also don't have the old bulbs, I gave them to a friend. 5000k is definitely the way to go.
Old 11-20-14, 10:34 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed a Schoche magnetic phone holder. I placed it above but close to where my right knee would be for easy cloud based radio tunes such as Sky FM, Pandora and I heart radio. I also return texts only via voice dictation and the distance isn't an issue. I'll test the GPS system out tonight as there was operator error. I forgot to set "location services" to on within my.phone so yesterday all day the app "failed". My fault. This is to see if the magnet affects the phone thus the routing and GPS as has been reported on other magnetic type holders.
Looks good though aesthetically if you ask me. I wanted something that wasn't bulky, had a small footprint and was able to rotate 360. This fit the bill perfectly.
(I did just download a compass map app which showed the needle stuck at N so the magnet seems to affect the phone somewhat. Not worried about that as I have navigation on my HU.)

OK, Just went to dinner using the Google map and directed us spot on so good to go.
Attached Thumbnails The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)-20141120_101459.jpg   The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)-20141120_101439.jpg  

Last edited by rxonmymind; 11-20-14 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 07:30 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Finished off the front by adding some mesh to the "air flow" holes of my front lip and also to the back of the grill (subtle). Can see the mesh behind the factory grill in the 2nd picture.

Old 11-22-14, 11:06 AM
chuckbass
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, draco. Each update is an improvement!
Old 11-24-14, 11:22 AM
es808
Pole Position

This is my newest addition to my Lexus family. I manufactured the front tow hook license plate holder. I need to plug the drilled holes and wax the front.

I'm in the process of installing 4000k HIDs for the fogs, Cree DRLs and backup lights, and changing the door sills to white LEDs.
Old 11-24-14, 03:55 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by es808

This is my newest addition to my Lexus family. I manufactured the front tow hook license plate holder. I need to plug the drilled holes and wax the front.

I'm in the process of installing 4000k HIDs for the fogs, Cree DRLs and backup lights, and changing the door sills to white LEDs.
Nice addition to the family es808. Would it be at all possible to document / detail your procedures in changing the door sill LEDs (with pictures being mandatory )
Old 11-26-14, 09:09 AM
es808
Pole Position

Draco, I'm working on a DIY for the LED door sills. As soon as it's done, I'll post it so everyone can reference it. I know there was another one done before but there weren't many pictures and not that much information on it.
Old 11-26-14, 09:19 AM
UCF3
Rookie

ES808:
Curious to where you purchased you DRL Cree LEDs from? The ones I keep getting don't work with our current harness.
Old 11-26-14, 11:45 AM
es808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCF3
ES808:
Curious to where you purchased you DRL Cree LEDs from? The ones I keep getting don't work with our current harness.
I haven't actually purchased them yet.

What doesn't work with the harness? Do they not fit, do they flicker or is it too high of a wattage so the harness heats up?

Just curious so I know what to look out for when ordering it.
Old 11-26-14, 03:48 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Draco, I'm working on a DIY for the LED door sills. As soon as it's done, I'll post it so everyone can reference it. I know there was another one done before but there weren't many pictures and not that much information on it.
Awesome
Old 12-03-14, 10:14 AM
UCF3
Rookie

I haven't actually purchased them yet.

What doesn't work with the harness? Do they not fit, do they flicker or is it too high of a wattage so the harness heats up?

Just curious so I know what to look out for when ordering it.
Sorry for the late response:
When i plugged them into the car neither high-beam nor DRL would come on. Our Club vendor mentioned plug them in w/o the harness to see if the lights would come-on at all (highbeam function) and then to reverse the polarity on the harness. haven't done so yet. Been very busy.
Old 12-03-14, 04:25 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

It is likely that your lights don't work because of how the high beams are wired. When you use the high beams the lights are wired in parallel but when the DRLs are on a relay changes the wiring so that they are wired in series. This is how they dim the bulb for the DRLs...That could very likely make the LED not work.
Old 12-11-14, 03:32 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Robotmak asked for some details on how I installed the mesh, so thought I would share with the community

Grill Mesh

The grill mesh was cut to size. I cut the mesh in half so that I would do both sides and not have the mesh sit behind the Lexus badge (I didn't want anything to distract from the L badge personally). The mesh has some points where it was snipped to make use of some of the factory molding to keep it in place. The mesh is also held in place by having the thread (that the screw caps go on to - you undo these to take the grill off) come through the mesh and then tightened in place when reinstalling the grill. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words

The lip holes

At the moment this is held in with black thick "Tarzan" (basically super heavy duty) tape. I have a ton of tape around the vent hole and I do plan, when I get the chance to, find some sort of a glue that I can put over the mesh to hold in place. There's a few things I can use, but it's been more of a time factor (and effort) to actually get this done. Here is a pic anyway and you can see the tape (not bad for being on there for a few weeks).

Old 12-11-14, 08:02 AM
Raddy
Rookie

Draco, do you have pics of how it looks from the outside?

Quick Reply: The Official "What have you done to your RX today thread" :)