RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08 Lexus RX - Auto Dimming Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 11:36 AM
lilrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 08 Lexus RX - Auto Dimming Mirror Question

On the auto dimming rear view mirror it appears that only the left green light is lit up. I pushed the button on the rear view to turn the auto dimming on and off. Both the rear view and the left side mirror work great at dimming. For some reason the right side mirror is not working and the green light does not come on. Is there a switch I need to know about for the right mirror? Could it be a fuse? I noticed today a strange piece of black tape at the top of the mirror, not sure what that is about. There does not appear to be anything blocking the sensor at the back of the mirror. The dealer has been no help. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 03-27-11, 03:35 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no green light for right and left..just one light for on/off. Could be the mirror is just broken, or maybe a loose wire? Dunno what you mean by piece of tape...can you take a pic and post it?
Old 03-27-11, 06:41 PM
lilrx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. So on the rear view, the little area on the right of the on/off button that looks like it should light up green just does nothing? I took a picture of it. For the other issue, the tape appears to be black on one side and the other sticky side has some sort of hologram look. I attached a picture. I am not the original owner, so maybe it has nothing to do with the car. Maybe it was something for the original owner. Just curious if anyone else has something like this. I don't want to remove it if it has a purpose. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 08 Lexus RX - Auto Dimming Mirror Question-rear-view-lights.jpg   08 Lexus RX - Auto Dimming Mirror Question-black-tape.jpg  
Old 03-27-11, 07:15 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity I went to look at my 2007 rear view mirror and, lo and behold, mine is different. My manual shows this exact diagram though. Push the mirror button to turn off and on the anti-glare for rear and both side-view mirrors. I don't have a sticker on the top of mine.

Did Lexus change the mirror from 07 to 08?

Also, on mine, the green light is on the right and the sensors are on the left and on the back left. Only 1 green light.
Old 03-28-11, 06:58 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah my 03 is the same (04 to you guys in the US). They must have changed the mirror in 08 as looking at the picture lilrx posted it looks like it has compass headings on the upper right of the mirror. That is kinda cool.
Old 03-28-11, 06:59 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Out of curiosity lilrx what does the manual say about the 2 lights on the rear view mirror?
Old 03-28-11, 04:53 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

That thing that looks like a light is a light sensor. It senses when there are headlights behind you and causes the mirror to dim. There's another sensor on the front of the mirror (or back? -side without the glass) that senses when it's light or dark out. If it's light out, of course, the mirror won't dim.

As for that piece of tape..??? It almost looks like a security tape - you know the kind that sets an alarm off if you walk out of the store without paying.
Old 03-28-11, 04:55 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Are you sure that's not an aftermarket mirror? The mirror in my 2006 400h looks just like the one Adamjeeps has posted. Or, maybe the mirror changed in 2008?

Last edited by rcy; 03-28-11 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-28-11, 05:26 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2007 RX350 looks just like Adamjeeps. I also don't have that sticker thingy on top of the mirror.
Old 03-28-11, 07:29 PM
lilrx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I just bought the car and am still learning about its features. The owners manual that came with the car shows the exact mirror that is in it. So, I guess it changed for 2008. I guess I will just take it back to the dealer and ask them to check the passenger mirror again. Perhaps, it's broken or just a loose wire like rcy suggested that is making the mirror not dim. As far as the tape, I guess I will just remove it. Thanks again for all of the replies, I appreciate it.
Old 03-29-11, 08:19 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

My 2006 is at the dealer for some warranty work. The loaner I got is a 2011 RX350 and the mirror looks like the one lilrx posted, so I guess they did change it after 2007.

Still, that extra light is a sensor like I said, and both your side view mirrors should dim when the rear view dims, so definitely have it checked out.
Old 03-29-11, 07:35 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

My 08 looks like lilrxs, no tape.
Old 04-06-11, 11:56 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That sticker looks like an RFID tag that i had on some rentals. It tracks the vehicle so i don't know why it would be on your car......
Old 04-07-11, 02:03 AM
MMS4MSU
Driver

Second the RFID tag, most probably a auto-pay toll tag...take it off.
Old 04-07-11, 06:26 PM
lilrx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the update on the tag. I have removed it. The Lexus dealer took the passenger mirror apart on Tuesday and told me it was not an Lexus Part so that explains the auto dimming issue. I am seeking resolution through the non- Lexus dealer I purchased it from. I will know more next Tuesday when the service manager is back.

Quick Reply: 08 Lexus RX - Auto Dimming Mirror Question