RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

CHEAPEST replacement key source

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 05:52 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CHEAPEST replacement key source

There are plenty of key threads but many end up referring to 3rd party companies that have huge markups. (Even though they may be $100 less than the dealer it isn't really a good deal).

What I want - an extra fully functional programmed multibutton Master Key.

Best guess based on searches - buy a blank and a programmable fob on ebay and DIY via a local locksmith.
Example for my 2009 here - $58 keyblank ebay seller The only thing with these guys is they don't seem to provide programming instructions - adding extra end cost and doubt as to compatibility.

Anyone that has a better recommendation, simpler, cheaper, more trustworthy, please do tell.
Old 05-14-11, 08:10 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Cheapest would be buy a key blank (after market new) and search for some one selling a used electronic module. You will still have to pay some one to cut the key-blank.

Have the key blank cut and follow instructions of programming posted here in CL (search). [You would need a master key in your possession to program a new_to_you one].

I have not had a need to do this, but I would expect the whole thing to cost $50-75 (my best guess). People who have done this can give you real minimum cost to them.

Salim
Old 05-14-11, 09:20 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The best deal I was able to put together was 41.00 for a used 2005 master key, 7.00 for an OEM shell and 14.00 at the dealer to cut and program the new key to my car. The 14 included a new battery.

YMMV
Old 05-16-11, 06:37 AM
groomerz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done this twice so far and have used Midwest Keyless in spring grove,il. I call them and drive and pick it up. They give me a new blank master shell with a used transponder/keyless entry module installed in the shell. last time I think I paid 70-75 for it. They give you the programming instructions. I still had to take it to a locksmith to get it cut 25.00. You must have a master to program another key they are a big seller on ebay and also sell from there website. Not sure where your at cause you didn't list your location

Shawn
Old 05-17-11, 05:46 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Thanks all - I had also emailed a seller of Ebay keys and asked about programming - this is what they said -

"greetings - you can only program the remote functions on that key. you wouldn't be able to program the key to start the car. i would suggest you call several locksmiths and see who is most competitively priced. you'll want to find a locksmith that you can
drive to.....then you won't have to pay the "destination charge". i.e. a locksmith a showroom is best"

I'm not exactly sure what they are saying, but - I have one working master, so it's not impossible at least.
Old 05-17-11, 09:19 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexiRX
Thanks all - I had also emailed a seller of Ebay keys and asked about programming - this is what they said -

"greetings - you can only program the remote functions on that key. you wouldn't be able to program the key to start the car. i would suggest you call several locksmiths and see who is most competitively priced. you'll want to find a locksmith that you can
drive to.....then you won't have to pay the "destination charge". i.e. a locksmith a showroom is best"

I'm not exactly sure what they are saying, but - I have one working master, so it's not impossible at least.
i believe the cleanest way is what carver did (post #3) buy your guts from ebay and do the same with blank key, take both keys, the master key and the new key to dealer tell them you want to cut new the key and program it. So you have two keys in hand.
Old 05-17-11, 02:12 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1, I did it and now I have 4 master keys
Old 05-18-11, 05:48 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Originally Posted by mowmow
+1, I did it and now I have 4 master keys
can you shed some light on how you did it ?
Old 05-19-11, 03:26 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

I bought blank keys on ebay first, I befriended the sale person, he asked the service department to cut 3 keys for price of $55 and got a tech to program the new master keys free of charge. This was all done when I first bought my RX
Old 05-21-11, 04:27 AM
LexiRX
Rookie

Originally Posted by mowmow
This was all done when I first bought my RX
This is "key" - excuse the pun. Approaching a dealer you have no history with, and coming to them with a used RX from another state, won't get you any favors.

I suppose it won't hurt to ask the dealer though, if I brought in the cut eBay key, shell and transponder - what they would charge to program it.

Or from what the others are saying - some locksmiths can program these too? Unless there is a special machine to program these keys, can't someone just find out how to do it and post the instructions online?
Old 05-21-11, 07:09 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a tool to program them, so it is quicker for the dealer to do it. Instructions are available here if you search but I would never have the patience to shut the door three times, put one foot on the ground, slap momma, put the key in the ignition, turn once, open the door again, do the hoky poky, swallow the old key and presto, you've programmed the new key, if it doesn't work, repeat.

Call your dealer and ask what they would charge to program and cut your new key. Mine charged 14 per key with a new battery.
Old 05-23-11, 07:06 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
There is a tool to program them, so it is quicker for the dealer to do it. Instructions are available here if you search but I would never have the patience to shut the door three times, put one foot on the ground, slap momma, put the key in the ignition, turn once, open the door again, do the hoky poky, swallow the old key and presto, you've programmed the new key, if it doesn't work, repeat.

Call your dealer and ask what they would charge to program and cut your new key. Mine charged 14 per key with a new battery.
definitely there is a tool the dealer that can program all 3 or 4 keys at a time, that is why they want you to bring all the keys to them and finish it at one shot.
Old 05-26-11, 11:36 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

it's hard to find used remotes from ebay!
Old 05-26-11, 01:45 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexiRX
This is "key" - excuse the pun. Approaching a dealer you have no history with, and coming to them with a used RX from another state, won't get you any favors.

I suppose it won't hurt to ask the dealer though, if I brought in the cut eBay key, shell and transponder - what they would charge to program it.

Or from what the others are saying - some locksmiths can program these too? Unless there is a special machine to program these keys, can't someone just find out how to do it and post the instructions online?
Well you can always say you are interested in getting another Lexus...get the ball rolling and ask them for favors while you "decide" they might give you a break on key cutting cost + free programming.
Old 01-21-16, 06:03 PM
tman1352
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Lexus key blank cut in Fort Lauderdale.

Can anyone advise me as to where I can get a key blank cut in the Tamarac area of Fort Lauderdale Florida? I have had no luck with the dealers here.

Quick Reply: CHEAPEST replacement key source