RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear Seat center console rattle....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 12:37 PM
Plug Guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat center console rattle....

This is driving me nuts. Flawless car for 4+ years, now a rattle develops in the rear seat fold down center console.

Everything is functional, tight and open or closes when expected, and is rarely used. But if I hit some rough pavement, it sounds like it's shaking like a leaf back behind me.

Can't find any sort of adjustments to make a difference, and does it whether down or up/tucked into seat.

Suggestions?
Old 04-27-11, 04:18 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rattle

If everything looks good. You might try removing all of the stuff from the trunk and back seat area. It may sound like the center console. But it may be something in the trunk.

Next you can wrap the console with a towel. And see if that insulates the sound.

I had the craziest sound coming from the back of my car. When I would come to a stop at a light. Is when it would happen. Looked everywhere. Turned out to be the back shoulder seat belts. The metal buckle would hit the door when stopping.

My next trip to the dealer I showed them. And then they pulled out some seat belt holders. They are built into the seat. And hold the belts.
Old 04-27-11, 04:22 PM
MC5Wes

Default Seat Belt

This is the guide.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Seat center console rattle....-seatbelt.jpg  
Old 04-27-11, 06:40 PM
Plug Guy
Rookie

Thanks!

I've removed all trunk material, even the flaps from the rear storage cover, the seatbelts, even buckled them....it's annoying. I can get in the back seat and bang around on things but no noise. Almost sounds like the cupholders in the back are loose, but I've checked them.

Will try the towel routine - good idea.

Thanks for the tips. Will report back!
Old 04-27-11, 06:59 PM
Haunches
Rookie

Can you have someone else drive while you sit in the back for a closer inspection?
Old 04-30-11, 02:53 PM
petterf
Rookie

And it's not the "TONNEAU COVER LATCH RATTLE" TSB NV001-07?
They can sound pretty much alike.

If so you can solve it yourself by cutting and sticking on small parts of slipstick felt pads onto the left and right back door trim spacers that locks and releases the tonneau cover.
Old 04-30-11, 04:36 PM
Plug Guy
Rookie

I'm 90% sure it's the lid on the rear console (the cupholder lid)...just need to do a bit more testing, not sure how to tighten that sucker.
Old 04-30-11, 09:55 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Never knew the seat bealt holders were there thanks.
Jeff
Old 05-01-11, 06:05 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Neither did I and my '04 is long gone. I am using the seat belt holders in my 450h. No rattles before or after.
Old 05-01-11, 11:18 AM
suraj83
Rookie

Originally Posted by Plug Guy
I'm 90% sure it's the lid on the rear console (the cupholder lid)...just need to do a bit more testing, not sure how to tighten that sucker.
hello plug guy...

i managed to stop the lid rattle with some velcro padding (soft bit, not the hooked side).
i bought some black pads and stuck into onto the contact points where the lid meets the armrest, it creates a tighter close but its rattle free!

did the same with the cargo compartment lids as well..

next will attack the tonneau cover latches with some foam padding and castor oil drops.

damn rattles!!!
Old 05-01-11, 03:51 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
I had the craziest sound coming from the back of my car. When I would come to a stop at a light. Is when it would happen. Looked everywhere. Turned out to be the back shoulder seat belts. The metal buckle would hit the door when stopping.

My next trip to the dealer I showed them. And then they pulled out some seat belt holders. They are built into the seat. And hold the belts.
Yet another perfect example of the Lexus dealer being clueless. The function of these straps is not to hold the seatbelt. They are to adjust the belt if it sits too close to the neck of the person using the seatbelt. If you have a taller person sitting there, the straps will hold the shoulder part of the belt too low.

It's all in the owner's manual, something that should have to be read by everyone purchasing a vehicle BY LAW, in my opinion.
Old 05-02-11, 07:17 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Just remember you cannot cure stupid!
Old 05-02-11, 08:39 PM
MC5Wes

Default Belt

Sweet, Now if anyone every rides in the back of my Lexus. I will be good to go.
Old 05-02-11, 10:28 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There should be an exam that you have to complete before you buy a vehicle...that is based on the owners manual and road safety for the vehicle you're purchasing.
Old 05-03-11, 05:16 AM
MC5Wes

Default Manual

Originally Posted by rcy
It's all in the owner's manual, something that should have to be read by everyone purchasing a vehicle BY LAW, in my opinion.
If this was the case. 99 percent of the questions on Club Lexus would not be here.

Quick Reply: Rear Seat center console rattle....