RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlight Condensation and Fried Ballast Modules

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 11:53 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Condensation and Fried Ballast Modules

Passenger side of my 2004 RX330 just lost the low beam (HID) headlight. Apparently the demise was due to the moisture that routinely collects in there. I had someone do the DIY repair for it shown in the forums and it improved the situation but didn't eradicate it. Since then, I'd not had time to address it again prior to the module frying (now my headlight flickers when set on low beam).

My repair options?

used module with excellent working rating and 7 day return $125

new headlight assembly (but may not be perfect match... may be made for Japanese built RX and mine is NA built) but does not include ballast module. $300
note: I was told that Japanese built and NA built have slightly different color variation in headlight assembly

new headlight assembly with ballast module OEM (from various sources including local dealer) $1050

got a lead on another headlight assembly (not sure if it is aftermarket or OEM or Japanese or NA built - new) for about $800 (still getting the verified).

None of these include labor - but relatively speaking the cost for that is minor ($100 or less).

What research I've done indicates that Lexus is not at all apologetic or helpful about addressing this issue. Not even after they've replaced it under warranty and then it failed again within a few months of the warranty expiring.

Other notes - I was told to replace the headlight assembly because if I continued to have moisture it would just routinely fry the module. I was told NOT to buy used since many of the used assemblies on the market would have this issue. I purchased this vehicle used with over 200k miles on it. Could the issue truly be that recent?? Seems unlikely that the prior owner would have dealt with this on multiple occasions....

What does the wisdom of the board suggest?
Old 04-12-11, 01:22 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you hiding over here in gen 1? Did you think we wouldn't find you and give you a hearty round of "I told you so's"?? Just kidding. As you have become aware, the condensation is an ongoing problem.

If your headlight is still operational you might try resealing it again to save that expense and obviously, the used ballast is the least expensive way to go.

Another thought might be to simply replace the hideously expensive HIDs with some ordinary halos from ebay. You can get both lights for about 250 and be done with it.

EDIT: On second thought best get the advice of some of the wiser members about compatible harnesses and such!
Old 04-12-11, 02:07 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Actually, the occasional pricey repair was something I had figured on with the purchase - what I hadn't considered was the possibility that the pricey repair wouldn't actually repair it! When I read online about folks repairing and then having the issue return in a matter of months, it is a bit disconcerting.

I wasn't hiding in Gen 1 - I just didn't pay enough attention and thought I was posting in the correct area... can I move it somehow or delete it here and repost in Gen 2?
Old 04-12-11, 10:43 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your headlights have AFS? If not I'd get the aftermarket set on ebay that's about $300 (for both) with projectors for HID and comes in either chrome or black housing.
Old 04-13-11, 06:53 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Well I can't say I've ever heard anything much good about the quality of after-market in general but beyond that ... it means that in addition to the housings at $300, I'm still spending over $1000 to get the module too... and with aftermarket I will get absolutely no warranty regarding condensation so I'm really out of luck if it were to happen again.

What's wrong with the halogen idea?
Old 04-13-11, 07:08 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure the harness is the same, Salim or somebody should know. You could silicone seal the new units for peace of mind prior to installing them, it isn't hard to see where they join.

You could get a set of AM on eBay for under three hundred and hopefully, that would end your problems.