RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Does going full tank actually decrease mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 01:02 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

The basis of "costing" prohibition under no power is momentum and gravity are at work and vehicle can become out of control (keep on gaining speed) under no braking action of the engine .. read uncontrolled. Hybrids do employ electric motors and generators, so the term "coasting" takes a different meaning. Even in those one can think of coasting in "N", and that I think is not desirable.

Please do not think, that I was/am sermonizing. It is just sharing of thoughts.

Peace.

Salim.
Old 04-07-11, 01:02 PM
monkeyRX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rxovermdx
really, many more things are more illegal than cruising to a stop..certainly can't be worse than breaking speed limit which we all do (in the emergency situations

There is nothing worse for your engine than idling for a long-time while standing.. It kills me to see people idling at a train stop, bridge, etc., and complaining of low MPG?? Isn't Prius a good example of ultimate COASTER?

Prius isn't actually coasting, since the electric motor is engaged and the driver can accelerate to move out of harm's way as necessary.
Old 04-07-11, 03:27 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyRX
Prius isn't actually coasting, since the electric motor is engaged and the driver can accelerate to move out of harm's way as necessary.
x2, the prius can still accelerate, where as in the RX you would have to move the lever back into Drive, and then get on the gas.

This isn't safe, and I don't recommend you drop the car in neutral to save a few cents in gas, it just isn't worth the risk.
Old 04-07-11, 07:51 PM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you are cruising on neutral (coasting down hill or to a stop light), eatra weight will actually get you further due to the law of the momentum..(but oppisite is true in uphill or facing wind-resistance). I use N a lot..and I turn ignition off when I know that I have to wait more than 15 seconds on a light.
Gently step on the brake then tap the lever into N, smooth as butter. I woudl imagine wear on tranny if you go crazy 1-2-3-D- and so forth.

Starting car extra few times a day vs. all that fuel you are burning and stress on your engine block and fuel injection system..take your pick which is cheaper in long-run..
you will actually SAVE on your tranny since you are not using upon deceleration (less strain and less moving parts/friction/heat). HEAT is the worst enemy for the auto tranny. All you are doing is disengaging from the gear. You guys who are afraid haven't had experience with manual gears. I had 02' Camry auto and original tranny lasted me 145k miles and running strong until I sold it (it wasn't even electronically controlled).
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it for RX 330 since it is a weaker system, you might get screwed if you have crappy tranny to begin with.
really, many more things are more illegal than cruising to a stop..certainly can't be worse than breaking speed limit which we all do (in the emergency situations

There is nothing worse for your engine than idling for a long-time while standing.. It kills me to see people idling at a train stop, bridge, etc., and complaining of low MPG?? Isn't Prius a good example of ultimate COASTER?
not sure if serious...

That is the fastest way of f'ing up your auto tranny and starter. You waste more fuel restarting the motor than being idle for 1 or 2 minutes. Dropping it in gear from neutral is never a good thing. I bet you like peeling out reving it high in neutral and dropping it to "D". This is the same thing at highway speeds. If you want a stick shift get one. Please don't justify that what you're doing is better just to save a minuscule amount of fuel.
Old 04-07-11, 11:59 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody above stated:

"There is nothing worse for your engine than idling for a long-time while standing.. It kills me to see people idling at a train stop, bridge, etc., and complaining of low MPG?? Isn't Prius a good example of ultimate COASTER?"

Why?

Engine temps are reasonable, good oil pressure, not a lot of load on any bearings, fuel management system maintaining stoichiometric combustion, etc., so what is the problem idling?

I have never found anyone that can give me a credible reason for this widely believed statement. I have heard things like "build up on valves because they are not hot enough to burn the carbon off" but have never found anything other than opinion to support this statement or any of the other similar statements. For years I have not hesitated to sit in a parking lot with the engine idling on a hot day to keep the A/C on and have never seen a single iota of evidence that I ever abused an engine in the 120K miles or so I typically keep a vehicle.
Old 04-08-11, 12:10 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by RhoXS
Somebody above stated:

"There is nothing worse for your engine than idling for a long-time while standing.. It kills me to see people idling at a train stop, bridge, etc., and complaining of low MPG?? Isn't Prius a good example of ultimate COASTER?"

Why?

Engine temps are reasonable, good oil pressure, not a lot of load on any bearings, fuel management system maintaining stoichiometric combustion, etc., so what is the problem idling?

I have never found anyone that can give me a credible reason for this widely believed statement. I have heard things like "build up on valves because they are not hot enough to burn the carbon off" but have never found anything other than opinion to support this statement or any of the other similar statements. For years I have not hesitated to sit in a parking lot with the engine idling on a hot day to keep the A/C on and have never seen a single iota of evidence that I ever abused an engine in the 120K miles or so I typically keep a vehicle.
I think you missed the point ... my understanding from that post is the environmental impact and MPG and not the impact/wear-tear on the engine.

There is some validity in burning fuel and going no where (rush hour traffic) and single person in a vehicle.

The other issue is the MPG (this is the root of this thread). Since it is an average of Miles covered then the "0" skew the average a whole lot.

Some where in MPG discussion is the $$ spent. I jokingly say that you can improve the mpg by taking long scenic drives ... none the less the $$ spent, pollution caused and wear&tear are all negative impacts while trying to get a better MPG.

Salim
Old 04-14-11, 03:56 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Your best gas mileage (with the car running) is coasting in gear. Idle actually burns more gas, coasting in gear burns almost none at all.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...neutral_page_3