RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 need after-market wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 07:51 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX330 need after-market wheel bearing

Right rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced soon. Are there any brand wheel bearing assembly that owners have had luck with?

Am considering buying the bearing online or at a local parts store as I have a mechanic friend who will do the labor if I supply the part. The OEM is more costly; is it necessary or are there other makes with reliability?
Old 04-04-11, 08:21 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know about Lexus/Toyota application, but most everyone on the Grand Prix forum recommends Timken.
Old 04-05-11, 04:00 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fivewilds

Originally Posted by quantfutur
Right rear wheel bearing needs to be replaced soon. Are there any brand wheel bearing assembly that owners have had luck with?

Am considering buying the bearing online or at a local parts store as I have a mechanic friend who will do the labor if I supply the part. The OEM is more costly; is it necessary or are there other makes with reliability?
I found a used one with 11K at "car-part.com" for $75.00 two years ago and have had no problem since. Very easy to change out.
Old 04-05-11, 07:54 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Fivewilds
I found a used one with 11K at "car-part.com" for $75.00 two years ago and have had no problem since. Very easy to change out.
Fivewilds: Do you remember which brand it is?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-11, 10:25 AM
gusar
Driver

KOYO. But you will need whole hub, not just bearing. Replaced one (left) in my RX330.
Old 04-05-11, 11:28 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gusar
KOYO. But you will need whole hub, not just bearing. Replaced one (left) in my RX330.
Thanks. How many miles did you have on your vehicle when you replaced the wheel bearing assembly? I have 106k.
Old 04-05-11, 12:06 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

koyo is an OE manufacturer....
Old 04-06-11, 02:44 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fivewilds

Fivewilds: Do you remember which brand it is?

Thanks.
I changed complete hub assy. You can't change just the bearing unless you find someone to press it in.
Old 04-06-11, 06:39 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

The hub assy is just a few bolts, right?
Old 04-08-11, 09:33 AM
gusar
Driver

Thanks. How many miles did you have on your vehicle when you replaced the wheel bearing assembly? I have 106k.
About 115K kilometres. The other one is still good (137K kilometres).
Old 04-11-11, 09:00 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Anyone had any luck with SKF bearings? Having difficulty locating source for koyo online or locally...
Old 04-13-11, 05:47 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Anyone have any experience with SKF wheel bearing assembly (need to replace passenger rear)... Having difficulty locating Koyo from local or online sources. I have someone to swap it out when I find it and can supply the part myself.
Old 09-20-11, 11:24 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Managed to get by with the ailing right rear wheel bearing assembly but now time to replace it as noise has increased... I have a choice between Durlast and Timken in an after-market store. (Have a local mechanic who will swap it out.) I have heard Timken mentioned but anyone experience Durlast? Thanks
Old 09-20-11, 12:18 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Managed to get by with the ailing right rear wheel bearing assembly but now time to replace it as noise has increased... I have a choice between Durlast and Timken in an after-market store. (Have a local mechanic who will swap it out.) I have heard Timken mentioned but anyone experience Durlast? Thanks
I think you mean Duralast. Both are available from AutoZone, with Duralast being AutoZone's brand.

The Timken has a longer warranty though is a bit more expensive.

Assuming you are buying the hub and bearing assembly? You might consider doing both sides while you are at it.
Old 09-20-11, 12:24 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyone have any experience with SKF wheel bearing assembly (need to replace passenger rear)... Having difficulty locating Koyo from local or online sources. I have someone to swap it out when I find it and can supply the part myself.
Koyo would be available from your local NAPA store. They carry several different brands to include their own brand of NAPA Bearings.

Quick Reply: RX330 need after-market wheel bearing