RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

09 RX 350 - Windshield Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-11, 12:49 PM
SuperG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 RX 350 - Windshield Replacement Question

Hi all,

I think I am going to have to get the windshield replaced on my 2009 RX 350. This is the first time I am having to do this on any car.

Some people have told me to only replace it, if I have to because otherwise the new windshield no matter where you get it from, will not "seal" quite as good and the car will be noisier. Is that at all true?

Also, is there anything I need to make sure of when getting this replacement done? I know I have rain sensing wipers, but I think that is it. Any advise? Thanks in advance.

SuperG
Old 04-02-11, 01:29 PM
willyb0b
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goto the dealer and get it done so they can take care of all of the sensors and what not
Old 04-02-11, 04:31 PM
koric
Driver

Before you pay out of pocket, ask your insurance if they cover the cost of a windshield replacement? Usually they do and there is a small deductible. At this point, take it to Lexus.
Old 04-02-11, 05:06 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Starting with the 2007 RX350 Lexus installed an acoustic windshield. It has an additional noise reduction inter-layer. OEM glass is also stronger than aftermarket windshields, but it does cost more. Most insurance will cover glass replacement with a small deductible. Insist on OEM Glass.
Old 04-02-11, 05:44 PM
SuperG
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys. So if I take it to a Lexus dealership and they do it, does that mean it will be pretty much as good as the original. Again, my main concern is that the replacement windshield won't be as "perfectly" installed as the original factory installed one, which would lead to more noise, etc. Would that be the case, or am I concerned over nothing? Thanks.

SuperG
Old 04-02-11, 06:16 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I am almost sure that the dealer does not replace the windshield. They will suggest a repair shop or have a repair person come over and replace the windshield in their parking lot (or it can be a location of your choice).

Factory set, have a clear advantage of better environment and possibly machine-human quality control. Assuming you do use the OEM glass and glue, your particular job may be as good as the factory and it might not. So you should insist that at the end the job must be done to your satisfaction and any rework will be done at the shops expense.

There is a separate discussion on OEM equivalent and after-market, or even glass from the same manufacturer (but missing the Lexus/Toyota logo). This has been hashed again and again .. so do a search.

My personal 2c on getting any thing fixed is ... I prefer to live with minor irritant instead of seeking perfection as any time some one touches anything, there is a chance of getting a worse of solution. Decide how much of the irritation level you can bear.

Salim
Old 04-03-11, 09:48 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

When our RX was new, there was a crack in the windshield. The dealer ordered OEM glass; however, they outsourced it to Elite Auto Glass (now part of Safelite) for the install.
Old 04-03-11, 12:03 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

safelite does all of them in this area.
Old 04-03-11, 02:33 PM
SuperG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I am almost sure that the dealer does not replace the windshield. They will suggest a repair shop or have a repair person come over and replace the windshield in their parking lot (or it can be a location of your choice).

Factory set, have a clear advantage of better environment and possibly machine-human quality control. Assuming you do use the OEM glass and glue, your particular job may be as good as the factory and it might not. So you should insist that at the end the job must be done to your satisfaction and any rework will be done at the shops expense.

There is a separate discussion on OEM equivalent and after-market, or even glass from the same manufacturer (but missing the Lexus/Toyota logo). This has been hashed again and again .. so do a search.

My personal 2c on getting any thing fixed is ... I prefer to live with minor irritant instead of seeking perfection as any time some one touches anything, there is a chance of getting a worse of solution. Decide how much of the irritation level you can bear.

Salim
Thanks for the reply. I guess that is where I am at. There is a couple of chips in the windshield, but nothing that requires the glass to be changed. It is just that I hate looking at it, which is why I was considering replacing it. The thing is though, I was trying to decide whether or not it was worth the "risk" of loosing some of the factory installed benefits. I know technology has come a long way, and the use of different glass and adhesives are probably better, which means it it much closer to a factory like condition when replacing the glass. Just wanted to get some input either way.

SuperG
Old 04-03-11, 04:48 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The key to having the glass seal is to not drive the thing right away. Leave at the shop overnight for the glue to cure and you will not have a problem.

Lexus dealers do not replace glass, they farm it out. Call your dealer and find out who they use.
Old 04-03-11, 05:18 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

As long as safety is not being compromised (long crack and crack in the area of wiper swath) I would suggest get the filler repair done and live with it. Here in Austin there are lots of rock projectiles kicked up by traffic.

Salim
Old 04-03-11, 05:24 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

A local installer replaced my RX windshield about a year ago. $350 and the repair has been perfect.
Old 04-04-11, 02:37 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i have tremendous amount of scratches on my windshield (can see them at night when car on other side of highways)...is there a solution for this like buffing or would i have to get mine replaced like above?
Old 04-04-11, 05:00 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Forget about it. I had my LS460 buffed and it just made it worse.
Old 04-04-11, 06:46 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperG
Thanks for the reply. I guess that is where I am at. There is a couple of chips in the windshield, but nothing that requires the glass to be changed. It is just that I hate looking at it, which is why I was considering replacing it. The thing is though, I was trying to decide whether or not it was worth the "risk" of loosing some of the factory installed benefits. I know technology has come a long way, and the use of different glass and adhesives are probably better, which means it it much closer to a factory like condition when replacing the glass. Just wanted to get some input either way.

SuperG
SuperG, depending on how big the chips are can't they just be filled up to make them almost invisible? We have a mob called "O'Brien's" down here in Australia and if it's a small chip in the glass they actually fill it with some sort of window resin that essentially gets rid of the chip in the windscreen. Surely there must be someone over in the States that could do this without having to go through and replace the entire window?

Quick Reply: 09 RX 350 - Windshield Replacement Question