RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Swapping wood trims?

Old 03-24-11, 01:32 PM
koric
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping wood trims?

I had 09 RX350 for exactly 7 days before some idiot T-boned my wife and I in the freeway. I think they lost control when a tow truck swiped them in the fast lane, turned 90 degrees to the right and took us out in the slowest lane. We got sandwiched into the right side wall and both the front wheels on the Lexus broke. Insurance concluded that the car is totaled. Anyhow, our car was white with light gray interior and black wood. I'm having a hard time finding the same color combo, most 350's have that maple wood trim. I found another white with light gray and maple so I was thinking of just swapping the wood trim and steering wheel from my dead rx. Is this difficult? I installed racing wheels, seats, etc. in my BMW. I can do most of this stuff but I'd like to see a DIY first so I wont break all the clips off the wood trim. Thanks!
Old 03-24-11, 02:11 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Happy you and your wife came out ok. How long do you have to take the wood? Someone on here may know but a shop manual will have exploded views if you can get one of those. Failing all that, what have you got to lose? Start pulling.
Old 03-24-11, 08:48 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

As far as the wood trim goes, caution goes a long way, since the wood is sure to be kept as thin as integrity allows. Be reminded that manufacture is made with the interest of minimizing costs. I would recommend getting the blowout diagram for the interior trim pieces from the dealer, as they show where the tabs are located. But you may find that they're glued on, too, which will be ever more crucial knowledge. If you find it, though, please share. I'd be interested to know what the possibilities are for this car.
Old 03-30-11, 10:45 AM
koric
Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
Happy you and your wife came out ok. How long do you have to take the wood? Someone on here may know but a shop manual will have exploded views if you can get one of those. Failing all that, what have you got to lose? Start pulling.
Thanks! I think I'm just going to find the right color combo before making a purchase. Insurance gave us enough to find the right car even if its going to cost more.

Originally Posted by ho0n
As far as the wood trim goes, caution goes a long way, since the wood is sure to be kept as thin as integrity allows. Be reminded that manufacture is made with the interest of minimizing costs. I would recommend getting the blowout diagram for the interior trim pieces from the dealer, as they show where the tabs are located. But you may find that they're glued on, too, which will be ever more crucial knowledge. If you find it, though, please share. I'd be interested to know what the possibilities are for this car.
Yeah, I'll post it up if I do find something. There's not too much info on modding the RX.