RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx350 Service Campaign 9LH

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 07:57 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by carfan1111
i bought a rx for my wife an 08

how do I check if my car needs this recall or not

i log onto the service history and it doesnt say anything related to oil, it does have a " SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN" in the history

how can i confirm if my car needs the recall or not
Under the section tab for My Lexus you will see a selection for Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns you will see it listed if your vehicle is involved.
Old 03-22-13, 02:32 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Under the section tab for My Lexus you will see a selection for Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns you will see it listed if your vehicle is involved.
When I check this, mine says I'm all good for my 07 RX350. But in the service history, I see no record of this being repaired. Did the recall not include all RXs?
Old 03-22-13, 12:34 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ghuns
When I check this, mine says I'm all good for my 07 RX350. But in the service history, I see no record of this being repaired. Did the recall not include all RXs?
If it is not listed then your RX was not in the range of those affected for this needed repair. Not all recalls or service bulletins affect every vehicle in a given model year. Sometimes, it is just a range of a few months worth of production at a given plant.
Old 03-24-13, 04:16 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ghuns
I would check with Lexus and make sure. My 2007 was done and the recall work was noted in the service history. You also don't have much time. The recall is only good through March 31, 2013.
Old 09-05-13, 07:29 AM
soremjp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 rx 350

In April 2011 and 50,000 miles the Lexus dealership replaced the 9LH Cooler hose in my wife's car due to the recall. She is now at 78,000 miles and was driving home yesterday and her car started smoking. Sure enough the pressurized oil line blew and leaked oil all the way home, down our street, and into our driveway. Now Lexus says this is not related to the recall and they are charging us $565 for the repair.
Old 09-05-13, 07:37 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

You have got to be kidding.....Call lexus corporate...I don't believe they have a leg to stand on.
Old 09-05-13, 12:45 PM
soremjp
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 350 Lexus

Of course I call them today after checking my records and ask them if it was the same recalled line that was replaced and they said it was a different one that blew this time.
Old 03-18-14, 11:15 AM
UDub2k4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by elykins
I have a 2008 Lexus RX 350 with just over 75,000 miles (out of warranty). I had to have my car towed and I still don't know what happened. I was told by the local dealership that I have engine trouble and may need a new engine. I have found this website and just finished reading all of the posts about this oil hose recall. I never recevied any information about this recall. Now I am worried that my car is out of warranty and the problems could be related to this oil hose needing replaced. What should I do?? Am I going ot be responsible for replacing the engine if the hose was the problem???
I know you posted this almost 3 years ago, but I am curious what ultimately happened in your situation as we have just had an identical situation happen to our 2007 RX350. Thanks!
Old 04-26-14, 12:27 PM
Cricket10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Total engine failure from busted VVTi-hose - quote of $8K to replace engine

I have a 2007 Lexus RX 350. I was not notified of the VVTI-hose recall last year. They say my VIN was not included, but they won't tell me why. Well, of course the VVTI hose busted and caused complete engine failure. I only have 68K miles on my car.

A Toyota dealer quoted me $8k to replace the engine with a used engine with 70K miles and only a 6 month warranty. Amber Beltran from Lexus Corporate is taking no responsibility.
I will likely pursue legal action. If anyone has a case similar to mine and wants to contact me offline, you can email me at jodylerner1@yahoo.com.
The following users liked this post:
avaslexus (09-19-23)
Old 12-22-14, 12:29 AM
PortAh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an earlier post said this 9LH campaign ended March 31, 2013.
Is it indeed ended?
If there is leaking on the VVTi hose, can we still go after this campaign?
What about preventive, will some dealers still do the job as a factory campaign?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-15, 12:20 PM
vuman1
Driver School Candidate

In 12/2009, at 7,500 miles, the oil hose in my 2008 RX 350 was replaced with notation in service history : 9LH REPLACE OIL COOLER HOSE FOR RX 350 - RX 350 2007 - 2009 OIL HOSE CAMP - . - 7439 9609KB 0.8 9LH CAMPAIGN. Last week (03/06/15) the oil pressure warning light flashed and my wife quickly drove home. She said the car was making noises. I checked the oil dipstick and there was no oil left. I ended up up filling it with 5 quarts of oil. When I restarted, the oil gushed out from bottom right side of engine (passenger side). I towed the car to Northside Lexus and they replace the VVTi line. The engine runs fine now. I think my engine was saved due to the use Mobil synthetic oil. While there was no oil left, higher temperature synthetic oil allowed the car to be driven home with what little oil was left in engine. I called Lexus to inquire today as to why they replaced with the same type of rubber hose and not metal if it had been considered defective once already? I wonder if I will be lucky next time when the hose popped again. They said they will research it and will call me back next week. They said this is the replacement hose Lexus listed in the recall (hose with yellow marking on one end and white on the other end). I wait for their response next week.
Old 06-16-15, 11:43 AM
UCF3
Rookie

Mine leaked out yesterday. My adviser tells me the hose was replaced per the bulletin but I'm at 107-108k on my ODO, so I'm worried.

I'm hoping Lexus will cover it since they should have replaced Rubber hoses with Stainless Steel. Heat in the engine bay is going to cause this to leak so why aren't they fixing it with the correct product.
Old 10-06-22, 08:51 AM
mqnthen
7th Gear

Default 2009 RX350 Oil Cooler Pipe Bust.

I just made my complaint with NHTSA: Oil leaked substantially while driving on the Highway.

As we were slowing down on WB I-94 due to construction, our red oil light was on, and then flashing. Eventually, all other warning lights were also on. The car was driven for about 1.5 miles from when the light was first lit to a safe location (local Honda dealership) where it was determined that the vehicle was no longer drivable. Of course Honda wouldn't touch it. At this point, we were about 1.5 hours from home.

Upon inspection, 4 quarts of oil were lost and Lexus service center later confirmed that the rubber oil cooler tubes were broken and had to be replaced by the metal ones. Both Lexus Service & Lexus Corp had confirmed that the defective parts for Lexus RX350 year models 2007 - 2011 were installed. They later issued a campaign to have them replaced with the metal tubes.

The incident was quite a safety hazard to us (my wife and I) because had we maintained our normal highway speed, there could have been a catastrophic engine failure due to low or no oil. If this happened at night, we would have been stranded on the highway and in the worst case scenario, the engine would have blown up and could have caused fire.

After filing a complaint with Lexus Corp and seeking reimbursement for the repairs, Lexus refused to accept the claim, saying that my car was out of warranty. They claimed that notices were sent out, but we never received such notices. The initial representative said the notice was sent out September 2014, but the case manager later said it was October 2015 (very inconsistent here).

Meanwhile, I had another recall service done on April 4, 2016 (headlamp housing), which overlapped with their extended warranty campaign period (01.31.16 to 03.02.19) for these defective tubes, but we were not notified about this. My car has a very good maintenance schedule - I have not missed any recommended services. There's no way that I would pass this type of repair notice.

The fact that Lexus did not issue a safety recall for this is a sham. Sudden catastrophic engine failures or potential failures is definitely a safety concern. This issue has been documented widely online and is prevalent within the Lexus community.

Side notes: Toyota products are definitely not superior to other competitors such as Acura or Infiniti. In 2009, we bought 2 brand new vehicles (2 months apart): RX350 for my wife and Acura MDX for myself.

Up until now, MDX hardly had any issues, only a couple that were very minor and were addressed along with maintenance services.

RX350 - from the beginning, we had to take our car multiple times due to the issues with the radio. Recall on headlamps. Many more minor repairs than Acura and much more expensive to maintain than Acura. Now this oil gush! I've owned a total of 7 Honda/Acura vehicles and 1 Infiniti from 1998 to now and their repairs are mostly maintenance with a very few minor non-maintenance repairs.

I'll be sure to tell all my family and friends to not touch another Lexus again. We certainly will not. This is after 2 decades of also owning multiple Lexuses/Toyotas as a family, being loyal to their brand and they wouldn't reimburse our costs (only $700) for their bad product? $700 is not a big deal, but it speaks highly to how they value their customers.

It's funny that I actually put my name on their waiting list for a new 2022 NX350h and also considered other Lexus/Toyota products for my wife in the near future. NOW NO MORE!!! I'm moving forward with the case and I'll be asking a lot more for all the trouble we went through.

Last edited by mqnthen; 10-07-22 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-07-22, 05:09 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem. It sounds like you also have a crappy dealer who doesn't take care of their customers.

And good luck with Lexus. It is akin to Don Quixote jousting with the windmills.

And opposite your experience - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ng-strong.html

Old 10-07-22, 07:11 AM
mqnthen
7th Gear

Thank you! I don't know if I'd hold a particular dealer accountable here. I understand that my car is out of warranty (only has 119,500 miles though), but hearing what I have gone through and our loyalty to the brand, Lexus Corp should have at least reimburse my repair costs, which is only $700. The fact is they have produced defective parts that have caused and can potentially cause massive engine failures to their customers vehicles, this is quite a safety concern and could cost customers thousands of dollars more to renew the engine. At the very least now, my family will not touch another Toyota product again and maybe we're just very small potatoes in their eyes as Toyota is a multibillion dollar company. I cancelled my reservation for the new Lexus NX350h, but more importantly we will not be considering their brand again in the future and will be sure to spread the message.

Quick Reply: Rx350 Service Campaign 9LH