RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

GPS Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-11, 06:25 AM
wcunningha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GPS Mount

Just got a new Garmin Nuvi GPS 5". Wanted to avoid windshield/dash mounts - the vent mounts I gave tried don't work b/c of verical bars - any suggestions?
Old 01-22-11, 06:34 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,
I have a Nuvi 760 and I purchased the vent mounts off of ebay. My suggestion is to secure the mounting clips into the vent fins with cable ties or if the clips are spring loaded you are ahead of the game. I mounted my GPS on the driver's side vent right above where the cup holder is located. Its a nice spot plus there is enough cable so it can be plugged into the power supply and you can hide the cord underneath the panel below the steering wheel.

The ebay vendor I used was: northstar_gps
Old 01-22-11, 09:20 AM
Nakamichi
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I'm using this Garmin dash mount for my Nuvi 200-series and found it excellent especially placed on top of the middle of the dash:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=69365

I bought it off from BestBuy but if you are in U.S., maybe you can order direct from Garmin or try your luck on eBay.
Old 01-24-11, 03:20 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have mine safely tucked in the left lower quadrant. Nice location.
Old 01-24-11, 11:50 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have mine safely tucked in the left lower quadrant. Nice location.
I took a thin sheet of metal (approx. 3" x 5.5"), bent it, and I insert the 'shorter part' just above the LCD display and below the dashboard top (the space is ideal). I attach the GPS to the protruding (bent upwards and slightly 'over') part. Works fine, and the GPS is both visible and easily within reach.
Old 02-18-11, 08:22 PM
willdogg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

wc,

I also got a new Garmin Nuvi this week, the 1490T. Since mounting anything in the middle of the windshield out here in California is illegal, I went with the rubber Garmin portable friction mount that Nakamichi mentioned above, and put it on top of the middle of the dash. I thought about a getting Proclip mount, but this friction mount looked better. The tackiness also keeps it from moving, even during sharp or abrupt turns. The Garmin also came with an adhesive disk to use with the suction mount, but the rubber portable mount lets us take it from vehicle to vehicle.

New cabin filter, first aid kit, A/C Servo motor, tires, and a new Garmin, It's been a busy week for the rx.
Old 02-18-11, 08:58 PM
suraj83
Rookie

Originally Posted by pauljcl
I took a thin sheet of metal (approx. 3" x 5.5"), bent it, and I insert the 'shorter part' just above the LCD display and below the dashboard top (the space is ideal). I attach the GPS to the protruding (bent upwards and slightly 'over') part. Works fine, and the GPS is both visible and easily within reach.
hello paul.....could you please take a pic of your installation? seems like a good idea!
been thinking of places to put my phone as well...this may be ideal.
Old 02-18-11, 09:47 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by suraj83
hello paul.....could you please take a pic of your installation? seems like a good idea!
been thinking of places to put my phone as well...this may be ideal.
I will do so -- but I do not know how to post pictures nor how to size them. If you can send me quick instructions, I'll take the photos and post asap!
Old 02-19-11, 08:48 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Pro-fit has brackets for the RX that hold GPS and other devices including this one for gen 2 RX which is specifically for Garmin GPS: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/MV-50-03-G3-p1.pdf Each Garmin G3 mount comes with a an adapter called a J-stem that snaps on their Garmin G3 bracket ball and allows positioning the GPS device three inches in 360 degrees from the bracket ball - shown in their catalog: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/Catalog.pdf

I used Pro.Fit brackets to mount the Garmin in our Camry and the Magellan in my LS -- I bought extra power cords, routed them into the center stack and connected them to the accessory circuits of both cars.

We've found that our GPS devices are a lot handier when mounted just to the right of the radio and like that they power on and off with the ignition switch and that the power cords are hidden in our cars. When we use our GPS devices in rental cars we use windshield or dash top mounts ... haven't had much luck with vent mounts and don't like them blocking air flow.
Old 02-21-11, 04:17 AM
DTrapani
Driver School Candidate

I second the nod for Proclip. Although they're a little pricey, they fit and perform flawlessly.

Dominic Trapani
Old 02-21-11, 07:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Pro-fit has brackets for the RX that hold GPS and other devices including this one for gen 2 RX which is specifically for Garmin GPS: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/MV-50-03-G3-p1.pdf Each Garmin G3 mount comes with a an adapter called a J-stem that snaps on their Garmin G3 bracket ball and allows positioning the GPS device three inches in 360 degrees from the bracket ball - shown in their catalog: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/Catalog.pdf

I used Pro.Fit brackets to mount the Garmin in our Camry and the Magellan in my LS -- I bought extra power cords, routed them into the center stack and connected them to the accessory circuits of both cars.

We've found that our GPS devices are a lot handier when mounted just to the right of the radio and like that they power on and off with the ignition switch and that the power cords are hidden in our cars. When we use our GPS devices in rental cars we use windshield or dash top mounts ... haven't had much luck with vent mounts and don't like them blocking air flow.
This looks very good. How much are they?
Old 02-21-11, 04:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
This looks very good. How much are they?
Prices are listed on their website: http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/lexus