RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 04:34 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VAttorney
Oh and if there is anyone on this forum that doesn't think I'm kind of slow.. this will seal it. Discovered today, it DOES have a rear DVD player. Even the dealership didn't know as it wasn't even listed on their buy order for the car. So now, bf is happy all around too..
Where is the read DVD mounted that it was so invisible? BTW, that is beautiful RX you have. Enjoy it..
Old 01-30-12, 05:58 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Default The saga continues...

Well at nearly 255,000 miles and she's great.

I put on some new tires. I've kept the oil changes up (use Amsoil) and as mentioned before did some needed maintenance but nothing else.

Oh, and the luxuries really paid off.. I was on a trip from SW VA to Philly early in December and got a weird warning light... turned out the air pressure on one tire was extremely low! Got that aired up (not sure what the issue is as it didn't leak since) but that warning light kept me from having, a minimum, a trip ruining delay with a tire change (and perhaps a ruined tire) or worse, something that could have caused an accident.

So yea, I've put about 30,000 on it since I purchased it.. a lot of if was on trips, as planned. She runs as great as ever... I don't even have any 'little' things giving me trouble.

Julie
Old 01-30-12, 06:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VAttorney
Well at nearly 255,000 miles and she's great.

I put on some new tires. I've kept the oil changes up (use Amsoil) and as mentioned before did some needed maintenance but nothing else.

Julie
Thanks for coming back to provide an update, Julie. What tires did you throw on?

As for the low tire pressure, that could have just been from the cold weather, hitting a pothole or similar. Probably something not reproducible. Would just keep a tire pressure gauge in the glovebox and check the tires when you fill up with gas for awhile to be safe.
Old 01-31-12, 12:45 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So happy to read your happy Love that this car is showing it's true value at such a high mileage. Try that in a BMW X5!
Old 01-31-12, 02:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
So happy to read your happy Love that this car is showing it's true value at such a high mileage. Try that in a BMW X5!
x2, great to see a high mileage RX running perfectly!
Old 02-01-12, 08:55 PM
Emilaman
Driver

That nice=) so im not only one owner of 04 RX with over 225K =)

Good Luck with your car. Car with such mileage need extra care
Old 02-02-12, 05:42 PM
SGLexus
Rookie

@VAttorney thanks for the reply I am happy to hear that as I am also considering a higher mileage rx330 now.
Old 07-14-12, 03:33 PM
StLucchese
Rookie

VAttorney- Any update? been reading all 10 pages and couldnt believe the deal you have. Let us know, its been 6 months from your last posting. I hope....whenever the day comes you hit 300k, let us know!
Old 07-15-12, 04:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I understand the lure of a new RX, but I also know that it is frequently foolish to fall in love with a car on the lot. The RX is the best selling Lexus vehicle they make. There are a lot of used RX to choose from. I'd venture you could find another RX with less mileage in your piece range with just a bit more searching. Take a look at AutoTrader.com for an idea of what is available locally in your area. As mentioned earlier, You can have your local Lexus dealer run the VIN for a service record on any Lexus that had its service performed by Lexus.

Consider that the 90k, 180k, 270k, etc. maintenance services are the most costly. If you find a RX that you like with close to those numbers ask that the dealer perform this maintenance prior to your closing the deal. I'd also ask the dealer whether the recalls/service campaigns are up to date. I'd ask for a list of TSIB's that have been performed. You can find a list of the TSIB titles here on the forum and there are a few you might want to be sure that have been done. At the very least get a written assurance from the dealer that they will perform any TSIB for free for the first few months if needed, You might also ask your Lexus dealer to alter any of the C-Best setting to your choice. Now is the time you have the leverage to request these things be included in the sales contract and have a reasonable likelihood of having them done gratis. CPO is a good idea but a non-CPO with a three year warranty is likely good too depending on the price.

The LEXUS RX is a well built vehicle and can give you many happy miles of service with proper maintenance. The only downside I've noticed is that Lexus dealer service costs are rather high. Given that is the case almost universally, look for a trusted independent Lexus mechanic for you needs or do the simple stuff yourself. FWIW, you can also have the routine maintenance done at most Toyota dealerships and save some money.

The RX330/350 in particular, is turning out to be a very well built and durable ride. I'd not hesitate to buy a higher mileage RX if the service records are in order and it looks like the original owner had taken care of it.
Old 07-16-12, 05:39 PM
TundraBlu
Driver School Candidate

No way, i do own a 04 RX330 and love the vehicle and had it since 04, but no way man with 220K+ Miles you've got to look for something lower than that, i recently had a Chrysler Town&Country which i sold but it was a great great van, and truthfully i've had multiple Chrysler products such as Town&Country, and 4 different heavy duty Dodge trucks (which my occupation calls for) such as 98' Dodge Ram 2500(which i eventually sold after putting 200K+ miles on it and was a gasoline engine), 04 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT(which is a Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine), 07 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT (Cummins Diesel), and 07 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Laramie (also Cummins diesel) and man i tell you they were absolute great trucks got great gas milage, very little maintenance, and were really work horses, but unfortunately when the economy collapsed in 08 so did my business which made me have to get rid of my 07 2500 SLT and 07 3500 Laramie, But i still have the 04 2500 SLT and well its been a great truck to this day very durable and still gets great gas milage better than any other truck/van/suv i've ever owned which has been multiple and i mean multiple types of vehicles from Ford to Chevy to Toyota to Chrysler/Dodge and Lexus. But i would highly recommend the Chrysler Town&Country since it has lower milage and i've had a great experience with all my Chrysler products, to this day i own a 07 Toyota Sienna, 04 Lexus RX330 and a 04 Dodge 2500 in which they have all treated me kindly over the years with little maintenance but i don't get very good gas milage at all in the two vehicles i surly thought i would my Lexus and Toyota, the Lexus gets anywhere from 13-17 MPG but mainly 15MPG, Toyota gets 14-18MPG but mainly 16/17MPG and my Dodge gets anywhere from 15-22MPG but mainly averages 18/19MPG and this is all mostly city driving with highway here and there, Which is crazy because my truck weights more than my lexus and toyota combined. my truck weighs anywhere from 9-11,000 pounds (mainly because the cast iron engine)

Last edited by TundraBlu; 07-16-12 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-16-12, 05:47 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TundraBlu
No way, i do own a 04 RX330 and love the vehicle and had it since 04, but no way man with 220K+ Miles you've got to look for something lower than that, i recently had a Chrysler Town&Country which i sold but it was a great great van, and truthfully i've had multiple Chrysler products such as Town&Country, and 4 different heavy duty Dodge trucks (which my occupation calls for) such as 98' Dodge Ram 2500(gasoline), 04 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT(which is a Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine), 07 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT (Cummins Diesel), and 07 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Laramie (also Cummins diesel) and man i tell you they were absolute great trucks got great gas milage, very little maintenance, and were really work horses, but unfortunately when the economy collapsed in 08 so did my business which made me have to get rid of my 07 2500 SLT and 07 3500 Laramie, But i still have the 04 2500 SLT and well its been a great truck to this day very durable and still gets great gas milage better than any other truck/van/suv i've ever owned which has been multiple and i mean multiple types of vehicles from Ford to Chevy to Toyota to Chrysler/Dodge and Lexus. But i would highly recommend the Chrysler Town&Country since it has lower milage and i've had a great experience with all my Chrysler products, to this day i own a 07 Toyota Sienna, 04 Lexus RX330 and a 04 Dodge 2500 in which they have all treated me kindly over the years with little maintenance but i don't get very good gas milage at all in the two vehicles i surly thought i would my Lexus and Toyota, the Lexus gets anywhere from 13-17 MPG but mainly 15MPG, Toyota gets 14-18MPG but mainly 16/17MPG and my Dodge gets anywhere from 15-22MPG but mainly averages 18/19MPG and this is all mostly city driving with highway here and there, Which is crazy because my truck weights more than my lexus and toyota combined. my truck weighs any from 9-11,000 pounds (mainly because the cast iron engine)
I don't get this post, what is your complaint about a high mileage RX? If all the service records are up to date and the car is in immaculate condition mileage is a moot point.
Old 07-16-12, 10:26 PM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 04 RX and it is around 120,000... and that took 8 years... glad to know my car will last another 8 years..
Old 07-17-12, 08:09 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Here's the Plan

1) Get a pre-purchase inspection done by a certified mechanic
2) Get as much of the history as possible
3) If everything checks out, buy it.
4) Minivan? Really? If you're gonna smell a minivan much less drive one...look at the NEW Odyssey. Decent and you might not have to give up your man card
Old 07-17-12, 10:57 AM
LEXRX04
Driver

I picked up my 04 with 60k on it 2 weeks ago under 18k...there are deals out there. Just got to be in the right place at the right time.
Old 07-17-12, 11:31 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I can't believe that I READ all 10 pages. I love the way this lady writes, it keeps you going and going. YOu know lots about cars than all the women I know in my life combined.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?