RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tailgate help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 08:17 PM
BigDave
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate help?

Seems like my wifes tailgate on her RX400h won't go up on it's own anymore. It's not the motor I'm talking about, it's the gate itself. It used to go up slowly on it's own when it was opened manually. Just pull hard about 1/3rd of the way and the thing would open slowly by itself.

Now I have to pull it halfway and then push it up for it to open fully.

anyone have any ideas if the struts or the motor is to blame for this? In my Ranger Rover, I simply had to replace the struts. This car is a completely different animal.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Old 12-15-10, 01:00 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's because of cold weather? I noticed the same on my RX350 - the gate doesn't fully open itself when weather is very cold. Still, it works perfect when using a button to open/close
Old 12-15-10, 10:28 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDave
Seems like my wifes tailgate on her RX400h won't go up on it's own anymore. It's not the motor I'm talking about, it's the gate itself. It used to go up slowly on it's own when it was opened manually. Just pull hard about 1/3rd of the way and the thing would open slowly by itself.

Now I have to pull it halfway and then push it up for it to open fully.

anyone have any ideas if the struts or the motor is to blame for this? In my Ranger Rover, I simply had to replace the struts. This car is a completely different animal.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
It probably is a strut or lubrication issue, particularly if it gets worse in cold weather. On my older RX300, the hatch was more and more difficult to raise, and also seemed to rise less high. I changed the struts, lubricated the hinges - it became like new. Of course, the older RX300 was a manual (not electric) hatch.
Old 12-16-10, 11:29 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

I vote for failed/failing lift struts. The purpose of the struts is to assist the motor in lifting the door. Same thing with hoods and some trunk lids.

I would pull one of them off and see if you can compress it easily by hand. Be careful taking it off because, if it isn't failed, it will want to spring open. Most auto parts stores sell universal, one-size-fits-none, strut rods that may work.
Old 12-16-10, 04:51 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Before you pill the struts I'd apply some light silicone lubricant to the shafts and open and close the door a few times. This made my door open much easier, faster ands quieter.
Old 05-20-14, 04:37 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

To keep the cargo cover from rattling on my 2007 RX350, I long ago learned from this forum to push in the cargo hold buttons and this largely eliminated the rattle. But for the last year or so I am finding that when the buttons are pushed in I usually cannot open up the trunk lid using either the remote or the in-dash switch. In these instances I sort of help it open initially with my hand. The trunk lid does open normally when the cargo hold button are in their released position. Does this sound like a weak strut issue? If so, I would order 2 new struts from Sewell but are there any tips or cautions in replacing the struts? Thanks.
Old 05-20-14, 04:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
To keep the cargo cover from rattling on my 2007 RX350, I long ago learned from this forum to push in the cargo hold buttons and this largely eliminated the rattle. But for the last year or so I am finding that when the buttons are pushed in I usually cannot open up the trunk lid using either the remote or the in-dash switch. In these instances I sort of help it open initially with my hand. The trunk lid does open normally when the cargo hold button are in their released position. Does this sound like a weak strut issue? If so, I would order 2 new struts from Sewell but are there any tips or cautions in replacing the struts? Thanks.
Could be weak struts, hard to say. Does it ever work? Do you hear the motor unlatch the locking mechanism when you press the button? Now that the weather is getting warmer does it do any better? Does it stay open? Bad or weak lifts perform poorly in cold weather and is usually a first indication of a pending problem. Doubtful cleaning and lubricating the lifts at this point will be of much help.

For replacement lifts you can try the following as well:

http://www.autopartsbylou.com/
Old 05-20-14, 05:37 PM
sderman
Advanced

As I said, it works perfectly (now and in the winter) when the cargo cover buttons are released and sometimes, but not always when they are in a locked position. So struts on the weaker side of normal may very well be the culprit. But back to my original question: have any of you had specific experience and tips when replacing the struts (BTW, I prefer to buy OEM. Sewells gives club members a terrific discount - ofter bettering the price of aftermarket parts).
Old 05-20-14, 05:41 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

My biggest tip is have a ladder under the tailgate with some phone books for adjustment to keep the weight supported while changing the struts. That would also protect the motor link mechanism. I bought aftermarket on my old RX300 and they worked great.
Old 05-20-14, 06:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
As I said, it works perfectly (now and in the winter) when the cargo cover buttons are released and sometimes, but not always when they are in a locked position. So struts on the weaker side of normal may very well be the culprit. But back to my original question: have any of you had specific experience and tips when replacing the struts (BTW, I prefer to buy OEM. Sewells gives club members a terrific discount - ofter bettering the price of aftermarket parts).
Have ordered from Sewell several times over the years for stock items. Glad to see you are also supporting our vendors here at CL.

Locking the tonneau cover as you are should have no impact on the opening of the hatch. Mine is like that all the time. Do not want it retracting when I open the hatch. FWIW, I am still using the original OEM lifts in my 2004 without problem and the hatch is in regular use.

I like thomas1's recommendation about holding the hatch open with something while you are working. Saves it from crashing into your head while you are working as well. The hatch will not remain open with just one lift installed, good or otherwise.
Old 05-21-14, 08:19 AM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by thomas1
My biggest tip is have a ladder under the tailgate with some phone books for adjustment to keep the weight supported while changing the struts. That would also protect the motor link mechanism. I bought aftermarket on my old RX300 and they worked great.
Terrific suggestion - Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-14, 11:37 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Have ordered from Sewell several times over the years for stock items. Glad to see you are also supporting our vendors here at CL.

Locking the tonneau cover as you are should have no impact on the opening of the hatch. Mine is like that all the time. Do not want it retracting when I open the hatch. FWIW, I am still using the original OEM lifts in my 2004 without problem and the hatch is in regular use.

I like thomas1's recommendation about holding the hatch open with something while you are working. Saves it from crashing into your head while you are working as well. The hatch will not remain open with just one lift installed, good or otherwise.
The cargo cover has a stowaway compartment under the luggage compartment trapdoor. Why is it a factor at all in the opening and closing of the rear door (as you rightly say here). I never use mine anyway, thought it is for some markets where they smuggle AK47's.