RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Weapon-R Dragon Intake on 2007 RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 06:50 PM
Pushnoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Weapon-R Dragon Intake on 2007 RX400h

He guys. I was looking for an advice. I'm thinking of replacing my stock air intake on my RX 400h with weapon r dragon intake. I've read positive reviews about increase in fuel economy and acceleration power. My only question is how will it work with hybrid system? Any advice.
Old 12-15-10, 10:02 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

i wouldn't.

You won't gain anything. All those 'dyno tests' and 'claims' are BS.

The best thing you can do, and its proven to be just as effective if not better than a useless 250$ intake on an SUV is a good, clean and new filter on top of keeping on top of maintenance.

This will *always* yeild the best MPG, and not potentially mess up your MAF triggering a bunch of codes.
Old 12-15-10, 12:24 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You might also want to post this in the Hybrid Technology Forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-187/
Old 12-15-10, 12:38 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

01lexpl how do you know this? What's your personally experience here? There are a few people in this forum that would disagree and use the system. in my actual experience it adds to the low gear power. Nice bit of pick up. dyno tests are based on there cars having usually allot more than just an intake. They have headers, exhaust and pulleys maybe. So yes the 10mph gain is an exaggeration. However there IS a HP gain and it's noticeable, but not allot.

There is a slight mpg increase as well but this depends on how you drive. Of course I am talking about the RX 330/350 series. Your intake would probably be a bit smaller I gather due to the battery taking up more room under the hood. Do you have a site link to the product?
Old 12-15-10, 02:08 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
I'm not sure about the hybrid system; but on my 05 rx330 I have the weapon R system and love it.
Old 12-16-10, 12:59 PM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

gotta agree with 01LEXPL on this. I've used both styles of intakes(true cold air where the filter is in your bumper and the one where it sits in your engine) and you get nothing noticable, the only thing you get is the sound from the intake which to me was worth the cost because it sounds sick but you have to be high up in rpms to get it. I'm pretty sure you get some hp gain but there's no way you'll be able to tell, it's the sounds these things make that makes you think you're going faster. They've been known to cause a lot problems and if you're car is under warranty, I wouldn't take the chance of the dealer voiding warranty. You won't even get the full sound from these anyways unless you're constantly in the high rpms. If you do get one don't get the cold air one because it'll be a pain in the *** to take off the filter to clean it, just get the ones where they sit in the engine bay.
Old 12-16-10, 07:29 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infinirx
01lexpl how do you know this? What's your personally experience here? There are a few people in this forum that would disagree and use the system. in my actual experience it adds to the low gear power. Nice bit of pick up. dyno tests are based on there cars having usually allot more than just an intake. They have headers, exhaust and pulleys maybe. So yes the 10mph gain is an exaggeration. However there IS a HP gain and it's noticeable, but not allot.

There is a slight mpg increase as well but this depends on how you drive. Of course I am talking about the RX 330/350 series. Your intake would probably be a bit smaller I gather due to the battery taking up more room under the hood. Do you have a site link to the product?
Read up on forums like bobistheoilguy, and you'll draw you're own conclusions.

All these things are for is: looks under the engine bay and making more 'noise'.

With that said, you think you feel more power, but you don't. Butt dyno FTL!

Unless it was at least 20HP gain, you would NOT feel a thing.

What you're describing is the same sensation after you do a tune up, note how much more responsive the car is then?
Old 12-16-10, 09:39 PM
Pushnoy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for advices.
Old 12-17-10, 01:28 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Read up on forums like bobistheoilguy, and you'll draw you're own conclusions.

All these things are for is: looks under the engine bay and making more 'noise'.

With that said, you think you feel more power, but you don't. Butt dyno FTL!

Unless it was at least 20HP gain, you would NOT feel a thing.

What you're describing is the same sensation after you do a tune up, note how much more responsive the car is then?
So you looked up a thread and made a choice to beleive it. Fine. Understood. Some of us that us the tech are not fools. Seems like you think I and others are delusional just by a thread you read. My information was based on years of personal experience in car modifying and clarified that some of the dyno's have more than just an intake when the dyno's are done. Know how I know this? Cause I have been at a few of them and my info is from insiders manufacturing intakes and some other after market products. A cold air will give you a slight boost. Not allot. Just a tad. It lets the engine breath! The stock RX 330 intake has three compartments and inhibit airflow!! Need some pics as proof!!?

Only thing I can say to the OP since debates like these just takes from your post is do your home work and see if there is even an intake for your model. If so I would ask people that actually own the product on your model. Cause if they don't, they don't know.
Old 12-17-10, 09:04 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ No. I looked at charts & empirical data from at least 10 different filter brands found in multiple threads.

I also had intakes and all that useless junk on old cars too. So you can't discredit my opinion.
Yes it allows the air to enter the motor less-disrupted, and it only generates a menial amount of HP.baffle

I have a 'modded airbox' now.

I got rid of the baffle that's put in to quiet down the intake noise in my ES300. Its much throatier now and a bit louder when you pin it - but not faster.
Old 12-17-10, 09:41 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

For those that don't believe me, but choose to believe in marketing hype;

http://my.is/forums/f136/dyno-tested...ke-mod-413122/

**the above is only one 'thread' with dynos amongst hundreds available.

All i want to say is this, learn how an engine works. You can try and stuff 3x the air the car was made to handle, but you are still limited by; the throttle body and the ECU.

Like i said, Stock vs. intake there is no benefit other than looks under the hood.

Also, if its a properly designed intake, it won't trigger a CEL - which is good, but it also shows that the amount of air going into the engine was the same as before the intake [stock airbox].

Once you mess around with other intakes that can introduce more air vs. fuel in the combustion chamber you'll have a CEL go off.

/beating a dead horse.
Old 12-17-10, 10:24 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

If you want an increase in fuel economy, then dont waste your money on an intake. I had one on my GS4 and it didnt do a thing. Instead, just use a different grade gasoline. For some reason, my '06 RX400h gets better fuel economy on 87 octane gas vs. premium gas. I compromise by using mid-grade for economy and performance.
Old 12-17-10, 07:08 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey 01LEXPL, that link is great. Very interesting data...
Old 02-18-24, 06:10 AM
HHolstein
10th Gear

I have the weapon on my RX 330 (2006) I was looking at an 06 RX400h, I went to their website this morning and there is not one offered. I looked at some OEM air boxes to see if I kept my old Weapon to see if I could make a few mods but at this time it looks like I am going to have to look at the vacuum diagram & see how I can fabricate my own intake because the 2 intakes are not the same.