RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Steering wheel wood color a bit off

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 06:35 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel wood color a bit off

Does anyone have the ivory/birds eye maple interior where hte steering wheels wood accents actually match the color of the rest of the cabins wood?

Its been bugging me since purchase. I was told by the dealer that its due to sun fade. My steering wheel wood looks yellowish while the rest of the interior wood is a bit browner looking. Its not something major but you know once you see that crooked painting you gotta fix it. Im gonna have to change it in the future and just put a wheel cover on it to prevent fade when parked if what the dealer told me is true.
Old 11-04-10, 07:01 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm dunno about sun fade. I have the dark wood that seems to look a tad cherry but the steering wheel and wood shift *** area a tad off from the trim. I believe its cause of the finish and lack of any real thickness to the trim. It's mostly plastic with a VERY thin layer of wood, while the wheel and *** are thick wood.
Old 11-04-10, 10:14 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

The steering wheel and the shift **** wood are actually a little different than the rest of the wood in your interior. The reason being the wood steering wheel and shift **** were an added option, and not standard, so they came from different trees.

My steering wheel and shift **** even though burlwood are a different color than the rest of the wood in my interior. You can check other Rx's and see the same thing. It has nothing to do with fading.

This is the same on all the Lexus Rx models.

Do you see how the steering wheel and shift **** on these Rx's are a little different color.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel wood color a bit off-111111111222222.jpg   Steering wheel wood color a bit off-11212121212121212.jpg   Steering wheel wood color a bit off-11111112222222222222222222222.jpg  
Old 11-05-10, 12:14 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yes exactly! Great explanation. Thanks I learned something as well. Very practical reasoning for Toyota.
Old 11-05-10, 02:47 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Ah I see. Looks like its pointless to replace it then That second pic you posted is exactly my interior except my steering wheel is yellower in color to that pics steering wheel.

This may sound like a noobie question cause, well, Im a noobie. In those pics Adam posted all the "center" consoles between the front seats have a big gap between it and the "shifter" console. On my 05 RX there is only an inch or so gap between the consoles. I cant look down and see the lower tray with the secondary cigarette lighter. Are the center consoles moveable? Or did last few years of the Second Gen have smaller consoles? Ill take a pic and post it when I get home tonight. Im learning new things about my RX every time I come here
Old 11-05-10, 04:39 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

They are slide-able Open the cup holder. There is a grip under the edge closest to the open and close buttons. squeeze and push or pull.
Old 11-05-10, 06:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERO5RX330
Ah I see. Looks like its pointless to replace it then That second pic you posted is exactly my interior except my steering wheel is yellower in color to that pics steering wheel.

This may sound like a noobie question cause, well, Im a noobie. In those pics Adam posted all the "center" consoles between the front seats have a big gap between it and the "shifter" console. On my 05 RX there is only an inch or so gap between the consoles. I cant look down and see the lower tray with the secondary cigarette lighter. Are the center consoles moveable? Or did last few years of the Second Gen have smaller consoles? Ill take a pic and post it when I get home tonight. Im learning new things about my RX every time I come here
Post pics and we can offer our observations. Is it possible that your wheel was replaced and replaced with the wrong color? Or is it UV fading.

These wheels are made by Tokai Rika from Japan. The wood is actually made by a gun manufacturer, I know this because Tokai Rika is my customer.
Old 11-05-10, 06:28 AM
mandyfig

Browse this:

Click on Products.

http://tokai-rika-usa.com/

They make the Steering wheels for Toyota, Lexus. I do not think they will fade as bad as you might (or Lexus) indicate.

If you were within the 48 months, Lexus can replace it.
Old 11-05-10, 07:54 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by infinirx
They are slide-able Open the cup holder. There is a grip under the edge closest to the open and close buttons. squeeze and push or pull.
OMG this is hot lol. Thanks
Old 11-05-10, 08:25 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Here ya go Mandyfig: the iPhone tends to make it look like s match. This is the best pic I could get of the difference in color.

Photo won't show with the image tags. Here's the link:
http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=ecab958f.jpg

Last edited by ZERO5RX330; 11-05-10 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-05-10, 08:26 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
The steering wheel and the shift **** wood are actually a little different than the rest of the wood in your interior. The reason being the wood steering wheel and shift **** were an added option, and not standard, so they came from different trees.

My steering wheel and shift **** even though burlwood are a different color than the rest of the wood in my interior. You can check other Rx's and see the same thing. It has nothing to do with fading.

This is the same on all the Lexus Rx models.

Do you see how the steering wheel and shift **** on these Rx's are a little different color.
Looks to me like they mixed interior wood colors on you. The steering wheel looks like my sister's RX while the rest looks like mine. Forget the wood color names. Wondering if the steering wheel was replaced somewhere along the line.
Old 11-05-10, 08:37 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

R330fl that's what I'm thinking as well. It's just so obviously off that I can't imagine they installed this mismatch at the factory. I'll go to another Lexus dealer and see what they say. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty.
Old 11-05-10, 08:59 AM
mandyfig

When did you purchase the RX?

What is really concerning is that if your steering wheel was replaced, the real question is WHY?
Old 11-05-10, 02:33 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Mandyfig I purchased it used, one owner, garaged, clean carfax which we all know means nothing really. I guess its possible it was hit so they replaced the wheel. But from what Adam posted it also seems to be a recurring problem with the Lexus wood trims. So I'm really between two minds. Adam is most likely correct but there is also a possibility that it was changed due to accident. Oh well I'll keep a lookout for a wheel that matches my color wood better. If nothing comes up oh well it wont kill me to look at it. But it will bug me to no end lol.
Old 11-05-10, 03:27 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Most people also do not understand photography. Allot of cameras capture color wrong and can exaggerate flaws. A slight color diff. can become an obvious one or vice verse. I know from my car it's different from the trim to the wheel and the ***. Not a huge one but enough to notice if you look long enough and own the car Carfax is useful and one can catch some things, but if some one does not keep records or does not tell there ins. company well it's not gonna be on Carfax.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel wood color a bit off