RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08 RX 350 - 60,000 mile service DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 06:45 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 RX 350 - 60,000 mile service DIY?

Hi folks. Thinking about doing the 60,000 mile service on my own, or at least as much of it as I can with my local non-Lexus mechanic. As far as I can tell from the manual, the only involved items are the brake fluid replacement, and the air filter replacement. Can I have my local guy do these two things, assuming I get him the Lexus/Toyota air filter and brake fluid?

I'd actually like to change the engine air filter if I could myself, if it's a simple two minute thing. Any pointers, suggestions, hints, tips?...

Thanks.
Old 11-01-10, 09:32 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Use search and you will find a bunch of write ups for 60K DIY. Good luck.
Old 11-01-10, 10:03 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Use search and you will find a bunch of write ups for 60K DIY. Good luck.
Gee thanks, mandyfig. That was so helpful.
Old 11-01-10, 10:45 AM
mandyfig

No seriously lots of info for 350's. 2ndly sorry I have a 330. I did my 30K service and looking forward doing the 60K service in my garage.
Old 11-01-10, 06:20 PM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

air filter is super easy. 2 bolts and it comes out. Brake fluid is easy too. but if you need to ask how to change the air filter, I suggest you leave this step to someone else as it can be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing. Yes any local trained mechanic can do a brake fluid flush just as well as a lexus/toyota dealership.
Old 11-02-10, 01:47 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by action
air filter is super easy. 2 bolts and it comes out. Brake fluid is easy too. but if you need to ask how to change the air filter, I suggest you leave this step to someone else as it can be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing. Yes any local trained mechanic can do a brake fluid flush just as well as a lexus/toyota dealership.
Thanks action. I've managed to figure out the air filter, and might handle that on my own. As for the brake fluid replace, I will probably leave that to a mechanic, maybe even take it to a dealership, even though I'd prefer not to.

On the brake fluid: When the manual calls for "brake fluid replacement," I'm assuming it means completely purging the brake lines, right? My local guy seems to think that simply draining and refilling the reservoir would to it. I'm not so sure. Again, this is why I might take it to the dealer.
Old 11-02-10, 06:38 AM
mandyfig

Your local trusted mechanic can amply do this for you.
Old 11-02-10, 07:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks action. I've managed to figure out the air filter, and might handle that on my own. As for the brake fluid replace, I will probably leave that to a mechanic, maybe even take it to a dealership, even though I'd prefer not to.

On the brake fluid: When the manual calls for "brake fluid replacement," I'm assuming it means completely purging the brake lines, right? My local guy seems to think that simply draining and refilling the reservoir would to it. I'm not so sure. Again, this is why I might take it to the dealer.
A brake fluid replacement, is when you bleed the calipers and that in turn will drain the reservoir as well.
Old 11-02-10, 08:10 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Yep, you definitely need to bring it to the dealership. If it's not done correctly, you'll have no pedal feel and maybe dangerous down the road. Bring it to a Toyota dealership to save a few bucks as our car share many components with the highlander. I really am weary when local mechanic guys saying something like that about brake fluid.
Old 11-02-10, 10:48 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by howdybob22
Yep, you definitely need to bring it to the dealership. If it's not done correctly, you'll have no pedal feel and maybe dangerous down the road. Bring it to a Toyota dealership to save a few bucks as our car share many components with the highlander. I really am weary when local mechanic guys saying something like that about brake fluid.
hypervish and howdybob: Thanks a million. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I probably will bring it to Toyota as opposed to Lexus. Even with Toyota though, I am generally distrustful. They once charged $90 to change the cabin air filter. (45 for the filter and 45 for labor.) I recently changed it myself for $17, two minutes, no tools.
Old 11-02-10, 12:41 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't you need to do transmission flush too on 60K service ?
Old 11-02-10, 02:59 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mowmow
Only if he drives in "severe" conditions. The 2007+ use World Standard synthetic transmission fluid that can last for the life of the vehicle.

That being said, it would not hurt to change it out if he plans on keeping it for awhile.
Old 11-02-10, 03:49 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default mowmow, Adamjeeps

Originally Posted by mowmow
The '08 doesn't specify any transmission service at 60K. Adamjeeps is rihgt, the '08 uses the world standard permanent transmission fluid. I actually asked a local ex-Lexus mechanic, and he said not to touch it at all, unless it is leaking (it isn't). I told him that it was kind of brownish, and he said it doesn't matter. He repeated: "Don't touch the tranny fluid in the '08."

Now compare this to a Lexus dealership that was practically begging me/scaring me into changing the tranny fluid on my '08 at about 25K. Total, total liars.

What ever happened to honest mechanics/brokers/people? Honesty used to be a virtue in this country not so long ago.
Old 11-03-10, 05:44 AM
mandyfig

Now compare this to a Lexus dealership that was practically begging me/scaring me into changing the tranny fluid on my '08 at about 25K. Total, total liars.

Find another Lexus dealer. Stay away from these guys.
Old 11-03-10, 06:37 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig

Find another Lexus dealer. Stay away from these guys.
Definitely.

Quick Reply: 08 RX 350 - 60,000 mile service DIY?