RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08 RX 350 - 60,000 mile service DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 07:08 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm very leery of 'lifetime' fluids. What they really should call them is 'within our warranty fluids', meaning the fluid will function fine for as long as the warranty period, thus protecting the vehicle manufacturer. In 200000miles when the warranty is long expired, I really doubt that the original fluid is performing as new.

Take this ATF-WS (the Toyota Automatic Transmission Fluid - World Standard). How can it be a 'lifetime' fluid in the RX350, but in the 400h (where it is used in the transmission and rear electric motor) there is a recommended change interval?
Old 11-03-10, 06:51 PM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

life time fluid is bs. Sure you can use it for the life of the car, but it doesnt mean it's good for it. If you drain a trainy fluid at 100k you can see how dirty it is compared to new fluid. And keep in mind that if your car doesnt break, the dealerships arent making money in replacing trannies or selling new cars.

I already flushed my tranny at 65k KMs. and I can tell a difference in color and feel.

somnoboy: in regards to the brake fluid drain. You have to drain the fluid through the bleeders and refill the reservoir with new fluid as you are bleeding until the fluid coming out of all 4 bleeders on the calipers are clear and not dirty. Also you should never let the reservoir run "dry" when bleeding so you'll have to bleed a few times, then fill up, bleed, fill up, etc etc. Best done with 2 ppl. If you let the reservoir run dry, it's sometimes a PIA to get all the air out of the system in some cars. Should take 30 mins or so with an experienced mechanic and an assistant.
Old 11-04-10, 01:58 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Action - Brake fluid replacement

Originally Posted by action
somnoboy: in regards to the brake fluid drain. You have to drain the fluid through the bleeders and refill the reservoir with new fluid as you are bleeding until the fluid coming out of all 4 bleeders on the calipers are clear and not dirty. Also you should never let the reservoir run "dry" when bleeding so you'll have to bleed a few times, then fill up, bleed, fill up, etc etc. Best done with 2 ppl. If you let the reservoir run dry, it's sometimes a PIA to get all the air out of the system in some cars. Should take 30 mins or so with an experienced mechanic and an assistant.
Action: Thanks for the brake service description. I really am inclined to try this with my local non-Lexus mechanic at my 60K. My mechanic, although young and totally inexperienced with respect to Lexus, is exceedingly honest. Thus, I am willing to put in some time to learn (and then teach him) how to properly (AND SAFELY) do the brake service on my 08 RX 350. Although your description is probably more than enough for any long-timers here, is there any way you or anyone else reading here could post a detailed, step-by-step instruction tutorial on the brake service, perhaps even with pictures? I mean an instruction set meant for someone who has never picked up a wrench before. i.e., assume I'm a two-year old.

I know, I know, I'm asking for a lot. But it sure would be a great help. Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to share "the knowledge."
Old 01-15-12, 05:07 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to laugh when i see people religiously take their lexus to their lexus dealer for service at relatively astromonical prices vs what local mechanics can/will do the same work for.I have owned 5 lexus cars over the last 25 years and have NEVER used a lexus dealer for a single thing not related to a warranty claim. I've had 30-60 and 90k services performed by non Lexus dealers and have only had ONE MECHANICAL PROBLEM in all those years...a battery finally died on a ls400 that had 100,000 miles on it. I had a 2002 RX300 where lexus wanted $1400 for the 90k service and my local top notch mechanic did it for $950! I finally traded that car in with 134,000 miles on it. I have always kept meticulous records of all oil changes and other work performed locally and my current 2010 RX350 now has 33k miles on it and runs flawlessly since the day it was new. I will have my local guy Roger do the 60k service at a fraction of what the ripoff Lexus dealers want to do it.
Hope this helps a little Somnoboy.
Old 01-15-12, 05:59 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BEARCATJER
I have to laugh when i see people religiously take their lexus to their lexus dealer for service at relatively astromonical prices vs what local mechanics can/will do the same work for.I have owned 5 lexus cars over the last 25 years and have NEVER used a lexus dealer for a single thing not related to a warranty claim. I've had 30-60 and 90k services performed by non Lexus dealers and have only had ONE MECHANICAL PROBLEM in all those years...a battery finally died on a ls400 that had 100,000 miles on it. I had a 2002 RX300 where lexus wanted $1400 for the 90k service and my local top notch mechanic did it for $950! I finally traded that car in with 134,000 miles on it. I have always kept meticulous records of all oil changes and other work performed locally and my current 2010 RX350 now has 33k miles on it and runs flawlessly since the day it was new. I will have my local guy Roger do the 60k service at a fraction of what the ripoff Lexus dealers want to do it.
Hope this helps a little Somnoboy.
Aint that the truth. I recently moved, and was worried about having to go to the stealership for service work. Ended up stumbling across a shop of former Lexus/Toyota mechanics

for my 2004 RX330 to have it's 90K...their price is 435 for timing and drive belts and 225 if the water pump is leaking and needing replacement....I'm in love!
Old 01-15-12, 05:32 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BEARCATJER
I have to laugh when i see people religiously take their lexus to their lexus dealer for service at relatively astromonical prices vs what local mechanics can/will do the same work for.I have owned 5 lexus cars over the last 25 years and have NEVER used a lexus dealer for a single thing not related to a warranty claim.
Like I always say. To each his own. I do all of my own maintenance except for fluid changes.

If you spend the extra money for a Lexus instead of a Toyota. You also prefer to be babied at the dealership. Lattes, Massages, loaner cars. My old dealership would bring a loaner to your house. Pickup your car. Then return your car later.

Service costs money. If you dont want it. Dont pay for it. If your time is more valuable than doing it yourself. Then by all means have the dealer do it.

Think of it as stimulating the economy. The dealership owner has to send his kids to college too.