RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Another Timing Belt question

Old 07-27-13, 12:20 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Another Timing Belt question

I have a 2004 RX with 60K on it and after looking at new cars have decided we will probably keep the RX and trade in our other vehicle-a newer Nissan. My question is, is it possible to see what kind of shape the timing belt is in before dishing out $$$ to have it and the water pump changed? I've seen both pros and cons on this board. I'd like to keep this vehicle maybe another couple of years, so not sure if I should bite the bullet or what. Waiting for the new NX to come out so then maybe we will have 2 Lexus (Lexi?), as I can't seem to find anything comparable to the RX except another RX- but want to go smaller.
Old 07-27-13, 07:56 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

These cars are easy on the belts. You can easily make it to 90k which is the recommended mileage. Even then the belts still look new. I plan to do mine at 120k.
Old 07-27-13, 09:23 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Trust me. That belt is not even broken in.
Old 07-28-13, 01:13 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the valves geometry/aperture is such that IF the belt actually breaks, pistons and valves are going to be damaged or not?
I'm aware that In most engines the answer is yes, but I would think that the cams profile shouldn't be very aggressive on our V6, so maybe the valves are never going to hit the pistons regardless of their position...?
Just a thought, that would make a big difference in peace of mind!
My personal interest is for the 400h engine, but I would think that the answer should be the same as for the 330.
Old 07-28-13, 04:56 AM
jer
Instructor

Thanks all for your response. A couple more years on the original shouldn't be a problem, especially since the vehicle doesn't get driven much.
Old 07-28-13, 07:18 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the valves geometry/aperture is such that IF the belt actually breaks, pistons and valves are going to be damaged or not?
I'm aware that In most engines the answer is yes, but I would think that the cams profile shouldn't be very aggressive on our V6, so maybe the valves are never going to hit the pistons regardless of their position...?
Just a thought, that would make a big difference in peace of mind!
My personal interest is for the 400h engine, but I would think that the answer should be the same as for the 330.
The 3MZ-FE is an interference engine. Meaning if the timing belt breaks it could be catastrophic.

Keep in mind, even a non-interference engine can get damaged if the belt breaks due to carbon buildup and such.
Old 07-28-13, 07:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jer
Thanks all for your response. A couple more years on the original shouldn't be a problem, especially since the vehicle doesn't get driven much.
You are 3 years overdue for a timing belt.

It's 90k miles OR 72 months (6 years). Whichever comes first!

If it's a risk you are willing to take you can not change it, however it's an expensive gamble. Proceed with caution.
Old 07-28-13, 07:49 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hypervish
It's 90k miles OR 72 months (6 years). Whichever comes first!
Are you sure? My dealer told me either 120k Kms (approximately 75k miles) or 8 years.
I can't see why there should be such difference, particularly the latter, between EU and US models...

Oh, and thanks for the confirmation re. the engine type.
Sounds like pushing luck on the belt replacement is indeed risky...
Old 07-28-13, 07:57 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Are you sure? My dealer told me either 120k Kms (approximately 75k miles) or 8 years.
I can't see why there should be such difference, particularly the latter, between EU and US models...

Oh, and thanks for the confirmation re. the engine type.
Sounds like pushing luck on the belt replacement is indeed risky...
Yup, just went ahead and double-checked. It is "90,000 Miles or 72 Months".
Old 07-28-13, 08:02 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Check your Owner's Manual, spacecraft. Here in the US it says for the timing belt to be changed at 90,000 Miles or 72 Months. Personally, I will have mine changed at 120K miles or 10 years. Will have the water pump, seals, accessory belts, coolant flush, etc. done at the same time.
Old 07-28-13, 10:46 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Thanks folks, I'll check the manual and post my findings, just in case I made anyone curious, though I see no reason why there should be any difference between EU and US on the very same engine.
I won't be able to do that for a while though, I'm away from home at the moment.
RX330InFL, you seem very confident in extending the factory deadlines.
I understand that it makes sense to do the pump at the same time of the belt, but using the belt for 30k miles or 4 years more than recommended sounds risky on an interference engine.
Do you know something we don't?
Old 07-28-13, 11:45 AM
jer
Instructor

ok, now maybe I'll check with the Toyota dealership here in Tampa to see what it would run. Our Lexus dealership is high $ on everything! After further discussion at home seems we may go ahead and keep it, and since it still runs & looks like new, I think I'll get an estimate on getting the other hoses/belts changed also. I thought those may also be nearing the end of their life & get it all taken care of at once
Old 07-28-13, 01:37 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
ok, now maybe I'll check with the Toyota dealership here in Tampa to see what it would run. Our Lexus dealership is high $ on everything! After further discussion at home seems we may go ahead and keep it, and since it still runs & looks like new, I think I'll get an estimate on getting the other hoses/belts changed also. I thought those may also be nearing the end of their life & get it all taken care of at once
Anything which has to be removed as part of the timing belt service should be considered for replacement along with all the seals and similar little pieces. Means the repair will be more expensive, however, it will all be done at the same time. Talk with the service writer about what you are trying to accomplish. Hoses might be OK even at this late stage and are easily replaced at a later date.

Check with the Toyota dealership up in WC for a quote as well. They run a shuttle to the mall and to Saddlebrook.
Old 07-29-13, 03:07 AM
jer
Instructor

Thanks, I hadn't thought about Toyota of WC- I will also check with them
Old 07-31-13, 11:46 AM
gusar
Driver

You can have the only belt replaced. Pump could be inspected at the same time.
I found independent mechanic who replaced the timing belt + two other serpentine belts for $350. Pump was OK (as he said).
At least no worry about catastrophic failure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Timing Belt question