RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Brake Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-10, 04:08 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinomon
You must be kidding?
Not at all, the problem is because some people dont put toyota approved brake fluid in there car, thus a problem. i know my car is fine. not to mention the fact that its 6 years old. if the current cup managed that long i am sure it will be fine for another 6.

only way i will get it done is if i get a free tank of fuel. ( my dealer is 75 km away)
Old 10-22-10, 07:31 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that my new 2011 450h is here before the part shows up. I have had the fluid flushed twice on my 330 once at the Lexus store and once at the Toyota store .
Old 10-22-10, 07:42 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinomon
The VIN you entered is not a valid Toyota VIN. Please check your VIN and try again. Note that Lexus and Scion VINs are not recognized and vehicles purchased outside the Continental US may not be included.
lol!!! So what's up with this? it's years later and this site still does not work Mine was made in Japan 2005. I kind of am curious about this and other recalls I will bring the car in to get checked.

Last edited by infinirx; 10-22-10 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 07:09 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

They say NOV, they will start sending info.
Old 10-23-10, 09:44 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the current "registered" owner?
Old 10-23-10, 03:27 PM
Ron98GT
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 Brake Recall

Two weeks ago we had our 2005 RX330 towed to the dealer, who replaced the master cylinder and the power booster. We were told that we should get reimbursed for the cost, because of the recall.

About a month ago the brake light went on. My wife had Ted Weins Firestone take a look at it. They said everything with the brakes looked OK, but the brake fluid was low. After they topped off the brake fluid, everything was OK for about 1 week.

About 1 week later, the brake light came back on and there was a strange noise when the brake pedal was pressed. When I checked the brake reservoir, it was empty.

After topping off the reservoir with brake fluid, we had Ten Weins Firestone take another look at the brakes, on a Saturday. They stated that the reservoir was OK, but the master cylinder was bad and was leaking brake fluid into the power booster. They put the brakes back together, topped off the brake fluid, and we drove it straight home and parked it. (I did not want Firestone performing that level of work on the RX, only a Lexus dealer and I'm glad that I made that decision)

The next day, Sunday, my wife went to use the RX330 and noticed that the brake light was on again. When she got to the end of the street, two houses, she attempted to stop at the stop sign but couldn't - no brakes. After I managed to get the RX back into the drive way, I checked the reservoir, which was again empty.

The next day, Monday, we had the RX flat towed to the Las Vegas Lexus dealer. Although the reservoir was OK, they had to replace the master cylinder and the power booster, which was full of brake fluid.

Now you know what the recall is all about. We were told that up until our problem only 14 other RX's had this problem - we are apparently the 15th so far.

There is nothing wrong with the reservoir. The problem is with a seal in the master cylinder. Maybe they can just change that seal, maybe they have to change the whole master cylinder. But if your brake light is on or has come on your probably losing fluid into the power booster. If any fluid has leaked into the power booster, make sure that they change that also.

I hope this long response was informative.

Last edited by Ron98GT; 10-23-10 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 09:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron98GT
Two weeks ago we had our 2005 RX330 towed to the dealer, who replaced the master cylinder and the power booster. We were told that we should get reimbursed for the cost, because of the recall.

About a month ago the brake light went on. My wife had Ted Weins Firestone take a look at it. They said everything with the brakes looked OK, but the brake fluid was low. After they topped off the brake fluid, everything was OK for about 1 week.

About 1 week later, the brake light came back on and there was a strange noise when the brake pedal was pressed. When I checked the brake reservoir, it was empty.

After topping off the reservoir with brake fluid, we had Ten Weins Firestone take another look at the brakes, on a Saturday. They stated that the reservoir was OK, but the master cylinder was bad and was leaking brake fluid into the power booster. They put the brakes back together, topped off the brake fluid, and we drove it straight home and parked it. (I did not want Firestone performing that level of work on the RX, only a Lexus dealer and I'm glad that I made that decision)

The next day, Sunday, my wife went to use the RX330 and noticed that the brake light was on again. When she got to the end of the street, two houses, she attempted to stop at the stop sign but couldn't - no brakes. After I managed to get the RX back into the drive way, I checked the reservoir, which was again empty.

The next day, Monday, we had the RX flat towed to the Las Vegas Lexus dealer. Although the reservoir was OK, they had to replace the master cylinder and the power booster, which was full of brake fluid.

Now you know what the recall is all about. We were told that up until our problem only 14 other RX's had this problem - we are apparently the 15th so far.

There is nothing wrong with the reservoir. The problem is with a seal in the master cylinder. Maybe they can just change that seal, maybe they have to change the whole master cylinder. But if your brake light is on or has come on your probably losing fluid into the power booster. If any fluid has leaked into the power booster, make sure that they change that also.

I hope this long response was informative.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Yes, your posting was very informative. Thank you for taking the time to help illuminate the masses here.
Old 10-23-10, 10:26 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

^^ great timing for the recall
Old 10-29-10, 09:24 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by infinirx
To the current "registered" owner?
Yes, current owner (based on Lexus Dealer files).
Old 10-29-10, 10:32 AM
espressoRX
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I logged into the Lexus Drivers site today and the notice was listed. No new information really. Just that it is listed as applies to my vehicle. It says the "remedy" will be available in early November and I'll be receiving additional notification in the mail.
Old 10-29-10, 11:45 AM
mandyfig

Gotta check mine out. Buy mine is Canada....LOL.
Old 10-29-10, 12:02 PM
mandyfig

Here's the info:

2004 LEXUS RX330
Safety Recall ALG - Certain 2006 Model Year Lexus IS and GS Vehicles & Certain 2004 through 2006 Model Year RX Vehicles Brake Master Cylinder Cup Replacement
At the present time, Lexus is developing a remedy for this Safety Recall.

Condition:
During vehicle assembly, Toyota uses brake fluids containing polymers that act as lubricants for certain brake system components. If replacement brake fluid is used that does not contain a sufficient amount of polymers, a part of the rubber seal (Brake Master Cylinder Cup) located at the rear of the master cylinder may become dry and curl. If this occurs, a small amount of the brake fluid could slowly leak into the brake booster, resulting in brake warning lamp illumination. If the vehicle continues to be operated in this condition, the brake pedal feel could change, and braking performance could begin to gradually degrade.

Remedy Availability:
Toyota anticipates that the remedy will be available in early Nov. 2010. At which time, will be notify by first class mail. Information will be posted once the remedy is available.

In case you are experiencing concerns with your vehicle, please contact your local Lexus dealer for an inspection. Should you require additional assistance, please contact the Lexus Customer Assistance Center at 800.255.3987.
Old 10-29-10, 02:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Here's the info:
Yes, that was the information I posted on this thread a week ago. Page 3.
Old 11-20-10, 01:33 PM
jul3per
Driver School Candidate

Default Help i have weird noise when i pressed brake pedal in my 2006 gs430

i am addressing this user who left the post quoted below. I currently have a gs430 2006 56k miles I hear a weird noise when i press the brake pedal in my lexus. A noise like if something was being sucked in. This only happens when i press the brake pedal. Now theres also a weird noise when i turn off the car. Its a jittering noise( this one is without pressing the brake pedal) and this noise goes on for about a few times AFTER turning off the car.
I have taken the car to the dealer and they tell me what they believe it is is the brake booster and/or the master cylinder. HOwever, because the car is passed the 50k the warranty does not cover the replacements. These part is about $1900.00 at the dealer and my budget is not anything close to that. I cannot afford it.

Any suggestion? is this a recall issue like the ones these posts mention? if its a recall it should be replaced by lexus and one should not be responsible, no matter the mileage in my opinion. Does the recall you mention also include the GS430 2006?
Please help this issue with the brake of my gs430 is not the same as before.

PS my lexus DOES NOT have any lights brake lights come on.

"Here's the info:

2004 LEXUS RX330
Safety Recall ALG - Certain 2006 Model Year Lexus IS and GS Vehicles & Certain 2004 through 2006 Model Year RX Vehicles Brake Master Cylinder Cup Replacement
At the present time, Lexus is developing a remedy for this Safety Recall.

Condition:
During vehicle assembly, Toyota uses brake fluids containing polymers that act as lubricants for certain brake system components. If replacement brake fluid is used that does not contain a sufficient amount of polymers, a part of the rubber seal (Brake Master Cylinder Cup) located at the rear of the master cylinder may become dry and curl. If this occurs, a small amount of the brake fluid could slowly leak into the brake booster, resulting in brake warning lamp illumination. If the vehicle continues to be operated in this condition, the brake pedal feel could change, and braking performance could begin to gradually degrade.

Remedy Availability:
Toyota anticipates that the remedy will be available in early Nov. 2010. At which time, will be notify by first class mail. Information will be posted once the remedy is available.

In case you are experiencing concerns with your vehicle, please contact your local Lexus dealer for an inspection. Should you require additional assistance, please contact the Lexus Customer Assistance Center at 800.255.3987.
10-29-10 02:45 PM"
Old 11-20-10, 01:56 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

your best bet is to register your vehicle if you havent already on lexusdrivers.com and when you do, if your car qualifies for the recall, it will say recall service campaign.

as a side note for everybody else, my dealership has the brake recall parts

Quick Reply: RX330 Brake Recall