RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 RX330 Passenger Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 06:41 PM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2006 RX330 Passenger Door Won't Open

A few days ago my passenger rushed to get in the car while I was pressing the remote key and jammed the passenger door by forcing it to open so hastily. I tried to open from the inside after the person did that repeatedly but it did not work. Now it will not open either from inside or outside. I brought it to a friend car shop and he chipped my door paint from the outside and said he gave up. Can someone please help me? Is there anything else I can do?

The locking/unlocking mechanism is still working because I could still hear it clicking and it does flip unlock/lock and occasionally stays at unlock whenever I get in and out of the car

P.S I did bring it to a Lexus dealer and the head technician there tried to pull the door open and played with it a little bit and then asked me to make an appointment to come back. Then, I decided not to come back yet because it can cost an arm and a leg. I'm looking for alternative solutions. May be someone can give suggestions of how to fix it. I am thinking about bringing it to an imported car shop.

Last edited by Nick318; 10-13-10 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 05:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You will have to tear down the door cover. Probably jammed your linkages. Should not be a big deal.
Old 10-15-10, 06:34 AM
Nick318
Driver

Tear it down from the inside? Wouldn't that damage the interior door panel because it cannot be removed completely since the door is stuck. The only place I have access to is the door handle area. If it is possible, can you post some instructions with a couple of tutorial pics? I'd really appreciate that!

Last edited by Nick318; 10-16-10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 07:19 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have done this twice on other makes. you will need to remove the door panel to access the linkages (above is correct). if you can, i would remove the passenger seat to give you some working room.

and yes, you might damage the door panel

as for a how to. there are only 2-4 screws in the door panel, the rest is held with clips and what not.
Old 10-15-10, 08:45 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I dont have a solution but I hope my post will give you some insight.

The lock and door release mechanism is all in one piece and is inside the door latch mechanism. Open any door and you can see the three screws holding the beast inside the door skin [the u hook on the body goes in there when you close the door]. {This piece is referred to as the door-lock actuator ... you can see pictures of it on ebay etc**. The electronic lock is built inside the mechanism.

Inside door release and lock connect to the actuator with wire cables (bicycle brakes) so a slim jim through the glass will not work on Lexus.

The electronic lock has a motor and gear system, where multiple turns of the motor end up rotating a piece 3/4 of a circle one way and then the other way to give you lock/unlock.

The door key and exterior door handle have stiff rod links to the lock mechanism. The key also has electronic release/lock piggybacked [this helps you lock/unlock all other doors .. only applies to front doors].

The mechanical construction of levers and springs (inside the actuator) lets one source override the other.

In summary it seems the door lock actuator has gone bad and stuck in inbetween states. To get to it (under normal) situation you have to open up the door panel from inside (with the door open).

So here are things I would suggest:

1. Call a locksmith who does auto doors.
2. Most of the problems with car doors happen when the door is not fully shut. So check if the door seems confirm the door is fully shut. Or give it couple of heaves from the outside by leaning into the door.
3.You can try jiggling all levers (inside door release), outside key lock, outside door release.
4. Trust your dealer.

5. MOST IMPORTANT: If you do happen to release the lock ... remove the door panel BEFORE YOU TEST.

Worst case scenario is you have to damage the inside door panel and buy a new door lock actuator.

Keep is posted.

Salim

ps: If you hear a motor trying to constantly/repeatedly lock, disconnect the battery .. this would deactivate the auto lock and hopefully with a door key you can overcome the motor-lock.

Last edited by salimshah; 10-15-10 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-15-10, 09:12 AM
mandyfig

+2 ^^^Excellent corrective action.
Old 10-15-10, 09:57 AM
Nick318
Driver

sounds so complicated. i had done door removal for my Acura TL but i think i should leave it to the professionals to take care of the Lexus. do you guys think a car import shop is capable of fixing it? Heard rave reviews from this shop http://www.superpages.com/bp/Bossier...0014712769.htm

Last edited by Nick318; 10-15-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-15-10, 10:14 AM
mandyfig

Does not hurt to ask for a quote.
Old 10-15-10, 11:04 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have taken door panels off many TL's,. if you can manage that, the lexus is a peice of cake.
Old 10-16-10, 07:59 PM
action
Driver

i had a door scare with my door not opening from inside or out due to my ignorance and rushing when i was fixing my lock actuator. What it came down to was I was stuck with 1 of 2 choices:

1. cut open the inside door panel to get at the actuator and replace the inside panel ($950)

2. cut open the door skin (metal) on the outside, unlock the latch, then repatch the door + repaint (around $1000)

luckily for me and some angel watching my back, my friend came over and on a whim tried something with a badminton racket, stuck it down the window rail and hammered the latch blindly until it popped in place and opened my door.

This however is not your case, so lets rule out a few things here. I've spent enough time examining the door and the actuator when i was messing around with it and trying to get it opened again.

If your lock is messed up or by some miraculous accident BOTH your inside AND outside handle linkage snapped at the top end, you can still stick a hook down and pull up on the bottom part and perhaps save your door. This scenario is unlikely.

If you messed around with the actuator like I did trying to fix something and know that it is a probability of you not putting the actuator together properly, or that you did not screw it on tightly enough to the frame and it isn't providing enough leverage to be able to unlatch the locking mechanism, OR the linkage wire broke at really a bad place, then you're hooped.

At this point, you're best bet would be to take it to cut open the inside panel. IMO this lock mechanism is a stupid design because the whole unit is enclosed with no way of accessing the latch incase something small broke inside. Of course chances are nothing will break inside but when it does, no way in hell you can manually pop the latch if the door is closed, you'd have to break the actuator.

As for the inside panel, there is NO way to take off the inside panel without damaging it, and no way to work on anything major through the window opening unless you have access to some skinny long robotic arm.

The only other way that we thought about, but didnt try because we got the door open last minute, was to remove the fender, loosen the bolts on the door hinge, and swing the front of the door out enough to hacksaw off the linkage holding the door into the body. Then hopefully this will give enough opening to pop off the inside door panel and slide it out. We figured the sawed off linkage is probably cheaper than the $950 door panel.

I really feel for you man. hopefully you are lucky and somehow find a way around this. i was super stressed when i first realized the situation i got myself into.

Last edited by action; 10-16-10 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 07:53 AM
mandyfig

Nothing that a good locksmith can not open. I think.
Old 10-17-10, 09:45 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

How about open or even remove the rear door from the hinge. Drill couple of holes in line with the "u" hook of the front door. Cut off [I dont think undoing the nuts would help] the back of the U hook. If you undo the nuts the "U" hook legs may not clear the door jamb.

Another approach might be to take off the passenger seat. Remove the pillar garnish. Take a saws all and cut off the hook between the door and doorjamb.

Salim
Old 10-17-10, 04:09 PM
action
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
How about open or even remove the rear door from the hinge. Drill couple of holes in line with the "u" hook of the front door. Cut off [I dont think undoing the nuts would help] the back of the U hook. If you undo the nuts the "U" hook legs may not clear the door jamb.

Another approach might be to take off the passenger seat. Remove the pillar garnish. Take a saws all and cut off the hook between the door and doorjamb.

Salim

You can't get access to the hinge from the inside. theres a flange. Have a look at your door and you'll know what I mean.

Also the b-pillar isn't a single later of metal. You'll have to drill through multiple layers. it'll be cheaper and safer to cut your door skin our panel.

Locksmith can only do so much.

Last edited by action; 10-17-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 10:06 PM
Nick318
Driver

should i call around to find out if any locksmith had opened a jammed or snapped linkage Lexus door before? If he can, then i think ordering parts such as an actuator or loose rubbers off of ebay will save me $$$!!!
Old 10-18-10, 05:11 AM
mandyfig

Try the locksmith route before cutting steel, for that matter cutting-drilling anything. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2006 RX330 Passenger Door Won't Open