RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Oil filter recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 03:59 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter recommendations?

Hi folks. I'm planning on starting to do simple maintenance on an '08 RX350.

1. Any recommendations as to oil filter? Presently, I use Lexus filters.

2. Any recommendations as to oil? I'm on Mobil 1 5W-30 right now.

Any recommendations as to where to buy online?
Old 10-12-10, 05:06 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When you say 'Lexus' filters, do you mean a 'Toyota' filter that you bought at the Lexus dealership, because that's what my Lexus dealer carries. So I now buy them from the Toyota dealer for about $2 less.

The Toyota filter is a good filter, I wouldn't switch. If you're doing extended oil change intervals, maybe the FRAM Xtended Guard which is good for 10000miles, and about the only well made FRAM oil filter.

Me personally in my 2006 400h, I use the Toyota 0w20 with a Toyota filter, and run it for 10000 kilometres, though I know (via a UOA I did) that I could likely run it for 16000 kilometres (10000 miles).

Last edited by rcy; 10-12-10 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 06:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Denso,Wix,Purelator.Also Nappa (made by Wix) and car Quest are made by Wix. I stay away from Champion labs junk.ie. Fram,A/C Delco,Bosch etc.
Old 10-12-10, 12:50 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

NAPA (Wix) for me in my other vehicles and now my RX330 that I have been doing it myself the last number of years. Use the NAPA Gold (FIL 1348). Been using their air and cabin filters as well. Never a problem.

BTW, for those who pine for the longer filter you can get the NAPA Gold FIL 1516.

If you want to go the route of K&N, those part numbers are HP-1002 for the short and HP-2009 for the long.
Old 10-12-10, 03:45 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Thanks all for the suggestions. There seems to be some consensus that Wix is the best. That said, I just found that my local Toyota dealer sells the OEM filter for around 6 bucks. That probably is cheaper than I could buy Wix anywhere online, after shipping. I'll probably just stick with the Toyota filters. But if someone could convince me that Wix is superior to the Toyota OEM filter, I'm all ears.
Old 10-12-10, 07:41 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks all for the suggestions. There seems to be some consensus that Wix is the best. That said, I just found that my local Toyota dealer sells the OEM filter for around 6 bucks. That probably is cheaper than I could buy Wix anywhere online, after shipping. I'll probably just stick with the Toyota filters. But if someone could convince me that Wix is superior to the Toyota OEM filter, I'm all ears.
Hard to say if it is better. Am sure you have NAPA stores local to your location and the price is about $6 and change for the Wix/NAPA Gold filter I use.
Old 10-13-10, 01:56 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Hard to say if it is better. Am sure you have NAPA stores local to your location and the price is about $6 and change for the Wix/NAPA Gold filter I use.
Thanks. Anyone else want to weigh in on this filter question for the RX?

Also: I spoke to the guy at the parts counter at my local Toyota dealer. He seemed to think that the Lexus RX didn't require replacement of the crush washer at oil change. I mentioned that I thought it was simply good practice to replace the thing at every oil change. He said he'd throw it in, but that he didn't think it was necessary?

Why would the Toyota parts guy say such a thing?
Old 10-13-10, 02:33 AM
tomit
Rookie

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=6&page=1

Great forum - recommended reading.

Tom
Old 10-13-10, 04:16 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
Denso,Wix,Purelator.Also Nappa (made by Wix) and car Quest are made by Wix. I stay away from Champion labs junk.ie. Fram,A/C Delco,Bosch etc.
Fram is owned by Honeywell, not Champion Labs. And just to clarify, I wouldn't recommend any Fram but the Xtended Guard, which is well made.
Old 10-13-10, 04:22 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks. Anyone else want to weigh in on this filter question for the RX?

Also: I spoke to the guy at the parts counter at my local Toyota dealer. He seemed to think that the Lexus RX didn't require replacement of the crush washer at oil change. I mentioned that I thought it was simply good practice to replace the thing at every oil change. He said he'd throw it in, but that he didn't think it was necessary?

Why would the Toyota parts guy say such a thing?
Too lazy to look for the washer? The idea behind the 'crush' washer is that it actually gets flattened when you tighten it, so replacing it is probably a good idea. If you look closely at the washer, you'll notice one side is flat and the other convex. The flat side goes against the oil pan. When you remove it, you'll notice both sides are flat as the washer was 'crushed' when you tightened it.

That being said, I've re-used crush washers before without any leaking. I wouldn't do it for multiple oil changes, but once probably wouldn't hurt.
Old 10-13-10, 05:41 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Crush washer

Thanks rcy. That's what I thought. By the way, do you, or anyone else reading here have an opinion on those quick drain valves that replace the oil pan bolt? Seems like a great idea, and might actually take (most of) the hassle of a regular person doing an oil change himself. I'd worry about leaking, though. Although on the product website, I noticed that if one were really paranoid about the valve opening up by itself, it recommends using a wire hose clamp to make sure it doesn't somehow bump open. Seems like a great idea to me; wondering if anyone here has any experience good or bad with those.
Old 10-13-10, 07:12 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a fumoto valve on both our RX330 and my old A4 ... it works great, never an issue.
Old 10-13-10, 07:22 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

I had one (Fumoto) on my Subaru Outback (as much as I like my RX, I really miss the Subaru - much superior AWD system) and never had any problems with leaking or the valve accidently opening. After you close the valve, the little handle kinds of springs into an indent so it needs to be pushed out of the indent before turning to open. It also depends on where the oil drain hole is on the pan. Ours points straight back if I remember correctly so less chance of it snagging on something. On my Subie, it stuck out sideways.

If you're obsessive, you could use the clamp to keep it shut I guess. It did make for easy oil changes. Now that you have me thinking, and I'm almost due for an oil change, I think I might pick one up for the RX.

Last edited by rcy; 10-13-10 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-13-10, 07:47 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Fumoto valve

Thanks for the feedback on the Fumoto. I might get one for myself.
Old 10-13-10, 07:53 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rcy
I had one (Fumoto) on my Subaru Outback (as much as I like my RX, I really miss the Subaru - much superior AWD system) and never had any problems with leaking or the valve accidently opening. After you close the valve, the little handle kinds of springs into an indent so it needs to be pushed out of the indent before turning to open. It also depends on where the oil drain hole is on the pan. Ours points straight back if I remember correctly so less chance of it snagging on something. On my Subie, it stuck out sideways.

If you're obsessive, you could use the clamp to keep it shut I guess. It did make for easy oil changes. Now that you have me thinking, and I'm almost due for an oil change, I think I might pick one up for the RX.

*edit* Just ordered one.

Quick Reply: Oil filter recommendations?