RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Master Tint Thread (merged discussions)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 05:55 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
SnapTint, is that available on a BM? Or is it a specialty store? I have wanted to do the tint on my fronts too, buy I wanted DIY.
http://www.snaptint.com/car-tint-Lexus.html

Here's the link. Without the install kit it was $39 shipped to my door. I'd recommend getting the install kit. (I already had one.)
Hair dryer should work for the bottom of the window. I have a heat gun for other projects that I was able to use. The peaks were very minimal, but i wanted to work them out right.
When you're done park it in the sun for a couple days and the small pin heads will work themselves out.
Old 07-27-08, 09:23 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to tint my front the same as the back does anyone know the percent? And are we exempt from tint laws bc we have light trucks? Just like how we are exempt from alot of safety regualtions.
Old 07-28-08, 11:05 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good!
Old 07-28-08, 11:50 AM
ratha67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
I want to tint my front the same as the back does anyone know the percent? And are we exempt from tint laws bc we have light trucks? Just like how we are exempt from alot of safety regualtions.
I think the 35% is pretty close to what the stock rears are, but 20% might match better since there is a lot of light that comes through the windshield which always makes the front tint look lighter than the rear. I think 35% looks just fine though even if it is a tad lighter.

We aren't exempt from the tint laws here in Cali. I've gotten tickets for tint on other light trucks and SUV's and when I used to prosecute traffic violations, anyone fighting a window tint ticket never won no matter what they drove, or how light their tint was on the fronts.
Old 07-28-08, 11:52 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Smile

Any recommendations on how to get the lower part of the window tinted nicely without getting it wrinkled. I know you said you put a heat gun to it for it but do you have any lessons learned from your experience?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-08, 12:04 PM
ratha67
Rookie

Originally Posted by ratha67
when I used to prosecute traffic violations, anyone fighting a window tint ticket never won no matter what they drove, or how light their tint was on the fronts.
If I remember correctly in California the legal limit on front window tint is 88%, which is pretty much no tint at all. Either way, I usually still do 35% in the rears and 50% in the fronts. Haven't gotten pulled over on those yet.
Old 07-28-08, 07:46 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
Any recommendations on how to get the lower part of the window tinted nicely without getting it wrinkled. I know you said you put a heat gun to it for it but do you have any lessons learned from your experience?

Thanks!
Wrinkling wasn't really an issue. Use a tool to pull back the window felt and give you some room to work the tint in.
My app went like this...
  • Clean window inside and out
  • Roll down window just enough so you can see the top of the glass
  • Soak the window and the tint with water/soap solution
  • Apply tint leaving the bottom to hang free - align to top of glass
  • Tuck the sides into the weather stripping - leave the bottom alone
  • With the tool, set the top 3" of the tint, don't worry about bubbles
  • Roll up window
  • Using the "little chissler" create some space between glass and weather stip at the bottom of the glass
  • Using the setting tool tuck the film into the slot created (yes you need three hands)
  • Move from left to right tucking the film in one motion
  • Now using the set tool set the middle of the glass up and down
  • Now set it left to right in the middle of the glass
  • Now work from middle to top and middle to bottom until done
  • Peaks will appear on the bottom of the glass due to the curve
  • Hit the peaks with the heat gun. Keep it moving and use the set tool to work them down.
  • Give up after a while and go to bed.
  • Park it in the sun the next day.
  • In the afternoon hit the three peaks that were left
  • Done
Old 08-12-08, 07:44 PM
arima
Rookie

that's a lot of work. tint shops in NY charge $50 for two front windows and $130 for a whole car.
Old 08-12-08, 08:50 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arima
that's a lot of work. tint shops in NY charge $50 for two front windows and $130 for a whole car.
Yeah... here it's $100 for fronts, $250 for the whole car. $39 is fine by me, plus I like working on my vehicles, so the hour I spent fiddling with this is nothing.
Old 08-13-08, 09:34 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Kit

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
http://www.snaptint.com/car-tint-Lexus.html

Here's the link. Without the install kit it was $39 shipped to my door. I'd recommend getting the install kit. (I already had one.)
Hair dryer should work for the bottom of the window. I have a heat gun for other projects that I was able to use. The peaks were very minimal, but i wanted to work them out right.
When you're done park it in the sun for a couple days and the small pin heads will work themselves out.

Hey, can you please confirm what I need? Type, Shade, what is Windshield strip? And finally, you recommend the installation kit (what's in it?).

What matches our OEM tint? I just want to match the rear.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-08, 06:21 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Hey, can you please confirm what I need? Type, Shade, what is Windshield strip? And finally, you recommend the installation kit (what's in it?).

What matches our OEM tint? I just want to match the rear.

Thanks.
HP Neutral
35%

It'll be a touch lighter than the rear. 20% is probably a little closer but around here 50% is legal, so I went for 35%.

The install kit comes with a gasket jammer which is very handy to tuck the tint into the bottom seal. It also comes with the little chizler which I use in conjunction with the jammer to tuck the film. (bottom seal only) Also get a nicer card for squeezing out the water and a razor which I didn't use. I prefer a bare blade.
http://www.snaptint.com/install_window_film.html

You could get away without using the kit, but with the money saved it makes more sense to buy it. It does make things easier.

Last edited by Chpsk8; 08-13-08 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-14-08, 01:22 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Thanks a lot, I will definitely do this DIY!
Old 10-21-08, 12:42 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Front Window Tint

FRONT WINDOW TINT
Has anyone been stopped by the PD for having the front windows too dark. I see lots of vehicles tinted in the front & was thinking of getting it done.

What is the legal % of tinting allowed or is each state different??

Last edited by xfirechief; 10-22-08 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-21-08, 12:52 PM
banjo
Driver

Originally Posted by xfirechief
FRONT WINDOW TINT
Has anuone been stopped by the PD for having the front windows too dark. I see lots of vehicles tinted in the front & was thinking of getting it done.

What is the legal % of tinting allowed or is each state different??
Not sure what is legal but I will say they are hard to see out of at night for me....
Old 10-21-08, 01:08 PM
arima
Rookie

I tinted the front windows to match the back windows. Never got pulled over for them yet. My interior is black so its extra dark. Cops here in new york have a device that checks tints, so I try to avoid check points. The fines are pretty hefty, $120 for each window (2 front windows only).

Quick Reply: 2RX Master Tint Thread (merged discussions)