RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2RX Master Tint Thread (merged discussions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-05, 11:35 PM
604Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front is 50%

Last edited by 604Lexus; 11-06-05 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-06-05, 03:37 AM
mrfuni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ph_RX330
hmm not sure... they look like 30% to me. i want to get the driver and passenger ones tinted as well... anyone kno how tinted you can get those... legally?
[SIZE=2]I think the legal tint varies state by state. Also the factory tint may look good, but it doesn't have the characteristics to keep out the heat and UV rays. I have all my windows tinted with an aftermarket tint that reduces heat and UV by 95%. Looks better also and offers some privacy .
Old 11-06-05, 03:51 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else know for sure?
Old 11-07-05, 09:41 AM
LCB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 20% on my front two windows (RX400) and it looks nearly identical to the rear.

One disclaimer - the inside looking out will not look identical, because Lexus puts a slight purple hue in the rear windows. Most tint has that black/brownish look when looking out. Most people never notice the difference but I can.
Old 11-07-05, 03:22 PM
604Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SGT
Anyone else know for sure?
The tint guy said the rear are 25%.
Old 11-07-05, 05:05 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 604Lexus
The tint guy said the rear are 25%.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 10-03-06, 06:39 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Default Front Side Window Tint for your RX

All,
Has anyone had the front side windows tinted on your RX to match the factory installed tint for the rear windows? If so, please share your experiences, what type of film was used, etc. I'm looking to get this done.

Also, has anyone had the factory tint removed (if possible) to install a completely different type of film that's either ceramic, or non-metallic.

From what I've gathered so far, metallic tint is to avoided for vehicles with navigation because it may cause interference. The ceramic tint is extremely expensive, but lighter shades are more effective with blocking out UV and IR rays than the comparable non-ceramic tint.

I'm looking to just simply get a matching tint to go with the factory installed tint in my RX350.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 10-03-06 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added side windows to prevent confusion per request by OP
Old 10-03-06, 07:12 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

Your suggestion is both illegal and dangerous (which is not a coincidence).

Forget about it.
Old 10-03-06, 07:21 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

I didn't make a suggestion, I posed a request for information. Your answer is short sighted and ignorant. It's not illegal or dangerous if the right tint is applied. Only a handful of states completely ban ANY shades of tint. The rest have acceptable limits on how much light must pass.

For those who care, attached is a guideline for each of the 50 states regarding window tinting regulations.
Old 10-03-06, 07:50 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Easy guys, a small misunderstanding (due to lack of clarity) and impatience can stink up the environment real quick.

I assume the orignal question was SIDE windows for driver and front passenger and not the FRONT windshield.

Back to the question...

I think this was posted a while back and and a bit of digging can get you an answer to your question.

I always go for the easiest and surest way. Call the dealership and get in touch with the company they use to tint side glass.

Salim
Old 10-03-06, 07:52 AM
lok888
Pole Position

TripleDES - I have tinted front windows on my RX350. Actually my wife brought the car to a window place. I don't know what they've used. It is the same color like the rear. In MA, tint has to be 35% or less. I would do no more than 30% just to be safe. I also have the top of the windshield tinted. Again, that windshield band requires than 6" tall.

So far, I have no problem when using the navi or radio. I thought the roof-mounted antenna is designed for the radio & navi. Isn't it any sensor for the navi somewhere in the front?

I want to post some pics of my new ride. Should I store the pics somewhere like photobucket.com first? Or post them directly here?
Old 10-03-06, 07:55 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Ooh, I see how my post could have been misinterpreted. Apologies if this was the case. Yes, I mean the front side windows, not the front windshield. I've done the typical search within this forum and the entire CL forums but didn't see anything recent.
Old 10-03-06, 07:58 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lok888
So far, I have no problem when using the navi or radio. I thought the roof-mounted antenna is designed for the radio & navi. Isn't it any sensor for the navi somewhere in the front?

I want to post some pics of my new ride. Should I store the pics somewhere like photobucket.com first? Or post them directly here?
Thanks lok888!! Good information. From what I've seen, this site allows pics to be posted within threads. If you prefer an external site, just post the link here. Extremely interested to see!
Old 10-03-06, 07:58 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

lok888:

You are right .. a portion .. just the top edge .. can be tinted. But the view area needs to be clear. Most cars have a gradual tint built in.

TripleDES:
The tint in the back side windwos from factory is sealed inside the glass. It is not a film on top that can be removed. The only option would be to replace the glass with clear glass.

Salim
Old 10-03-06, 08:02 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Thanks Salim,
The tinting company mentioned this could be the case so that's why I'm basically just looking to get them matched.

Since the tint is integrated, film can still be applied to make it darker if one prefers.

In CA, film must allow 70% of light to pass and the windshield can only be tinted no more than 4 inches from the top. (see attached file) CA even requires a certificate of compliance for the tint applied.

Quick Reply: 2RX Master Tint Thread (merged discussions)