RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rattles R Us

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 03:46 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles R Us

Ok I found one rattle which was the Navi DVD player not being bolted down. Ive also pinpointed anther rattle that seems to be coming from beneath my drivers seat whenever I go over a nice dip or pothole. Dont know if its under the car or where the seat mounts to the rails or something. Its a squeaking sound like a polyurethane bushing squeaking.

Found another rattle by the plastic button you push down to adjust the front seatbelt shoulder hight. Both the buttons rattle especially when a bassy song is playing. Yet another rattle is the driver side window. When I push against the window it stops rattling. Its a faint rattle but now that Ive heard it its killing me.

Also I got another polyurethane squeaking from the rear hatch it seems. This one is like a symphony of poly squeaks when ever the car goes over uneven pavement or a bone rattling bump that puts the car through side to side movement. Im going nuts. Though I had it quelled with the DVD navi fix but it was not to be. I shook the rear hatch up and down with it in the up position and and didnt hear anything. BUT when I applied side to side motions that the hinges werent meant to deal with I saw FLEX Is this why my rear hatch is squeaking? The bolts to the hatch are solidly tight so its not the hinges fault. It just doesnt have side to side support. So when I hit those bumps or uneven pavement or go up a hill at an angle I get the squeaking.

Its a design flaw that I cant see any way to fix. I will try some kind of cream colored thin material [to act like a gasket] to match the surrounding plastic and see if the squeaking stops. Has anyone found a fix for this that doesnt detract from the cars ambiance?

This is my first Lexus and I cant believe it rattles this bad. It rattles worse than my boy Paul chiclet teeth. Didnt expect a rattletrap and a hard ride. Ill change the shocks and see if at least the ride is better.

Last edited by ZERO5RX330; 09-15-10 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 11:14 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I got rattles from the driver side dashboard....
Old 09-16-10, 01:03 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

I have that too but its minor compared to the liftgate. This vehicle certainly doesnt live up to the Lexus aura of quality Ive always bought into. Funny thing is that if I heard even a fraction of these sounds when I first bought it I wouild have walked away from it. Roads werent that bad where I bought it from. But when I come here and see soo many people with the same issues Im blown away. I guess I should be thankful I have zero mechanical issues and every thing electronic works flawlessly except bluetooth.
Old 09-17-10, 07:31 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

^your a mess!
Old 11-03-10, 04:32 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Just an update:

Rattle 1. I have now found and killed the dreaded polyurethane-like incessant squeaking that almost gave me an embolism. It was the stupid middle console that was rubbing up on both the left and right seats. It was NOT the rear hatch like I thought. Thanks to my buddy Adrian for finding it. I put a towel around the top part of the middle section, above the latch part, and now NO MORE SQUEAKING. Im so happy I could cry lol.

Rattle 2. This was found by chance as you just couldnt tell where it was coming from inside the vehicle. It was a loose nut on the wimpy hanger think wire they call a sway bar LOL. I dotn know what shocked me more the size of the sway bar or the nut being loose lol. Anyway two MAJOR squeaks gone from my baby. I cant believe how quiet it is now. But I have a few pesky ones in the seat and seat belt up/down button that Im gooing to tackle over the winter.

Rattle 3. Is the dash. Man I cant do nothing about this one on my own like the others so Im going to take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Anyone ever done this on a 2nd Gen 04-05 RX330?