RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Updating Navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 09:13 AM
JohnSFranc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating Navigation system

I have a 400h 2007. I want to update my nav system now that the new version has just been released. Does anyone know if it's any good? Where is the access to the DVD slot for it? The dealer said it was easy once you find it!!
Old 09-12-10, 11:08 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just remember, if you still have the override function on your version, you will lose it if you update. I went from 4.2, which had the override to 8.1 and lost the override. However, I don't know which version the override was actually removed (it may have been earlier than 8.1).

Last edited by rcy; 09-12-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-13-10, 12:47 PM
JohnSFranc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much - extremely helpful. I had already found the 'secret compartment'! - on the back page of the manual there is a cryptic diagram. Why are they so secretive about it? I guess they must be hurting so much they need the cash for the installation! What I couldn't figure out, though, was how to get the disc ejected - so thanks again.
Old 09-14-10, 06:24 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I update my 2006 400h Nav to 2009 or 2010 version what are the consequences and benefits. I hear if I update to a newer version I cannot change address while moving?
Old 09-14-10, 02:22 PM
prowler97
Rookie

Originally Posted by rcy
Just remember, if you still have the override function on your version, you will lose it if you update. I went from 4.2, which had the override to 8.1 and lost the override. However, I don't know which version the override was actually removed (it may have been earlier than 8.1).
What is the override function? Please explain.
Old 09-15-10, 04:40 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by prowler97
What is the override function? Please explain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvW6k0Q1wV8

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=29792

If you have a 2006, you have the Gen 4 nav system.

The override lets you enter destinations etc. and use the phone keypad while driving. Normally, as soon as you start to move, the keypad will disable and you also won't be able to enter destinations or POIs etc.

You have to do the override each time you start the vehicle. Lexus removed the function in later NAV discs (but I don't know from which version onwards)

Don't mess with any of the other buttons - I've read of people really messing the system up (really badly).

There is another set of menus you can play with - hold the info button in, turn the lights on and off four times - get a menu. Do the light thing again, get another menu. Again, be careful with what you play with.

Last edited by rcy; 09-15-10 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-17-10, 05:06 PM
Emily07
Driver School Candidate

please help .

my rx400h 2006 navigation screen always show "PLEASE INSERT CORRECT MAPS DISC" and somes Janpanese words under. I tried the original and the copied dics still did not work. Please help me to fix this problem.
Thank you

Last edited by Emily07; 09-17-10 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-17-10, 11:33 PM
LexFather

Yeah our CPO 06 had the new NAV disc thrown in....clearly updated to the disk in my 07 GSh....

Originally Posted by Emily07
please help .

my rx400h 2006 navigation screen always show "PLEASE INSERT CORRECT MAPS DISC" and somes Janpanese words under. I tried the original and the copied dics still did not work. Please help me to fix this problem.
Thank you
The problem might be the copied disk as it is not reading it correctly. This is an issue dealers have told me about.
Old 09-21-10, 05:01 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just got the new ver. 10.1 NAV disk for my '08 400h which I ordered from the aforementioned site. In typical mechanically DEclined fashion, I misread PLamarine's instructions and assumed the disk door was UNDER the tray for the jack, etc. After trying in vain to lift the tray up for about 10 minutes , I went back and re-read his directions which clearly state you will see the rectangular panel for the DVD unit when you lift the handle. I then followed the directions from there once I saw the panel.

Three caveats:

1. When you slide the tab to the left, remove the old DVD and load the new one, be sure to slide the tab back to its original position. It is not a spring loaded deal and has to be manually slid back. Otherwise, you will get a warning that the Disk Door is open.

2. First thing I noticed when I got back in the driver's seat was a series of vertical white lines on the screen and I thought, "Oh boy, HERE WE GO...," but that was momentary. Then you get an updating systems message - do not turn vehicle off - much like a Windows computer update.

3. YOU WILL LOSE YOUR PREVIOUS DESTINATIONS, so if any of them in your vehicle were "off the beaten map" or unusual, you better write them down beforehand. It did remember "Home." After all, there's no place like home, there's no place like home....
Old 09-21-10, 08:40 PM
prowler97
Rookie

Here are some photos to help others who want to update their nav system on a 2nd gen RX:

Step 1: Open forward access panel in the trunk (jack location)

Step 2: Remove access cover

Step 3: Remove old disc and insert new disc

Old 09-22-10, 03:46 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by prowler97
Here are some photos to help others who want to update their nav system on a 2nd gen RX:
Great pics Brian
Old 09-22-10, 02:17 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

YES - Thanks, Brian. I wish I had seen these before going thru the self-imposed aggravation. I did do a quick search, but if they were posted before, I didn't come across them.
Old 09-24-10, 06:20 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Just an fyi, for the 2007 rx400h the slider is directly above the dvd slot as opposed to being on the left side.
Old 09-25-10, 02:46 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Geez - took a long trip today and it's trying to take me on all kinds of inexplicable routes. Guess what - you have to tell it to allow Toll Roads. And, you have to choose the QWERTY keyboard. Bottom line, it defaults to all the OEM settings as they were when it came from the factory.

Wot a revoltin' development this is!
Old 04-27-13, 02:38 PM
sammyjo
Driver School Candidate

For those of us with a 2008 RX 400h, the 'slide tab' is in the upper left corner. You can not see it unless you climb into the hatch and put your head down against the jack.

Don't think you can just feel it, at least I could not.

Slide the tab, push the button, DVD pops out. Load new DVD.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Updating Navigation system