RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

NO loaner car for warranty work at the dealer???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 12:21 AM
Dxpliciton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NO loaner car for warranty work at the dealer???

Okay so i have a 2005 Lexus RX330 that i recently did the 60k miles service on with the trans fluid, transfer case, and rear diff. Yada Yada... and when i dropped the plastic panels from under the car to perform the service i saw the fluid leak at the transfer case. I proceeded to do the trans fluid, and the rear diff but left the transfer case untouched because i read up on the TSB. I decided to make sure that it was in fact leaking and not old oil from previous oil changes, etc etc that was left sitting on top of the plastic panels getting blown up there under driving conditions. So i brake cleaned the entire bottom of the car and dried it thoroughly and left the plastics off for a week. Checked it the following weekend and sure enough the transfer case was leaking. So i called Lexus of Las Vegas to schedule the appointment for the TSB letting them know what i had previously done already and that it only had 60k miles on it and that i was still in warranty. They then proceeded to tell me that they DO NOT offer loaner cars for work that is being performed under warranty... SAY WUT! you cant be serious. I have read countless threads on this forum with everybody getting a loaner, and even when i take my RL into Acura i get a loaner as well without a question. What gives? Am i missing something here or is there a secret password i gotta say other than please that gets a loaner? Im trying to find something online that can help me here so i have a fight when i go in as a loaner is absolutely needed. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-11-10, 01:52 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

At the dealers I have had to deal with here in FL you do not always get a loaner vehicle with service. Most of the time -- yes, however, not always. For example, if you are just getting an oil change or other small service then you are not eligible for a loaner. Service had to take at least two hours.

Also, I do not believe you were eligible for a loaner once you were out of warranty.

In your case I would think a loaner vehicle would be in order. Not necessarily another RX, but at least an IS or ES. Probably worth a call to Lexus Customer Service to see what they have to say about all dealers having loaner cars available for major warranty service.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 09-11-10 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-11-10, 06:41 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I am always asked if I want a loaner with any service scheduled to take over an hour at my Lexus dealer. They always give me a new RX. My RX is a 2004.

Most dealerships recognize that these little things usually equate to future sales and service business.

I'd look for a different dealership.
Old 09-11-10, 09:17 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

My understanding is that loaner/dropoff-pickup is a a courtesy service. I have stayed with Lexus of Austin as it has grown over time. At first they had a rental booth and you would get non-lexus vehicles. The rental charge was picked up by Lexus of Austin.

If you think about it rationally, you would agree that for a service that last less than 2hrs, the customer waiting area is a reasonable solution. The other is availability. The last is the relationship. If a vehicle is available and the service time is less than 2 hrs, and the customer can not wait for 2hrs some accommodation can be made.

Since a warranty work is paid for by the manufacturer, I would suggest contact Lexus to get an explanation.

Salim
Old 09-11-10, 11:09 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That's just crazy. My dealer always offers a loaner even on an oil change and they do ask but have never enforced a make a reservation in advance policy which is reasonable since if they are out of loaners they have to bring in a rental. I always decline the offered loaner on an oil change or any other minor repair but it is offered and appreciated. For a brief time they added a fuel surcharge a couple of years ago but they even waived that on warranty repairs. Check your owner's warranty documents - I think loaners are to be provided. On other things it may be a dealer option. Or try another dealer is one is available.

Dave Mac
Old 09-11-10, 11:43 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cost cutting??
Old 09-11-10, 11:50 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd find another Lexus dealer!
Old 09-11-10, 07:23 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have always gotten a loaner at either dealer where we have our Lexus's serviced. All loaners were a Lexus IS,ES,RX, or HS except once when I had to have something done immediately or get a ticket (front license plate fell off) the dealer called up Enterprise at Toyota (All loaners were out) and they gave a me a brand new Camry signed for it and all as if I rented it privately then the dealer handed over the money.
Old 09-12-10, 05:55 AM
noz34me
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyundai doesn't offer loaners either.
Old 09-12-10, 07:33 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
But, Lexus dealers are supposed to. Part of the package.
Old 09-12-10, 08:33 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
But, Lexus dealers are supposed to. Part of the package.
Here is the Lexus corporate policy on loaner cars from https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ices/dealer.do :

"Complimentary Loaner Vehicles
If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for warranty repairs that require more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle for up to five days."
Old 09-13-10, 11:58 PM
Dxpliciton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kansas
Here is the Lexus corporate policy on loaner cars from https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ices/dealer.do :

"Complimentary Loaner Vehicles
If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for warranty repairs that require more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle for up to five days."
I have actually pulled that from the Lexus.Com site and will be taking it in with me along with print outs of the TBS information and a thread from this site as well. It is just beyond me that they told me i do not get a loaner, when i take my RL into acura and the TSB work was about an hour total i got a loaner. Im reasonable and can wait for a 1-2 hour fix but a trans fix that will go overnight is just unacceptable. If i could work with a different Lexus dealer i would but its Las Vegas and its the only one here. Not happy at all... ! I take it in tomorrow so lets see what they say.
Old 09-14-10, 07:16 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota offered loaners when I dropped off my rx for Transmission flush, transfer case and rear diff gear oil replacements. Good luck, when bringing it in, hopefully you deal with a different and more understand SA.
Old 09-14-10, 07:30 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me

Dude....Hyundai < Lexus ?? C`mon now.
Old 09-14-10, 07:47 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Dxpliciton
I have actually pulled that from the Lexus.Com site and will be taking it in with me along with print outs of the TBS information and a thread from this site as well. It is just beyond me that they told me i do not get a loaner, when i take my RL into acura and the TSB work was about an hour total i got a loaner. Im reasonable and can wait for a 1-2 hour fix but a trans fix that will go overnight is just unacceptable. If i could work with a different Lexus dealer i would but its Las Vegas and its the only one here. Not happy at all... ! I take it in tomorrow so lets see what they say.
Once you have this information ... It is totally reasonable to expect Lexus to pay for private rental .. if one is not provided by the dealer.

Salim

Quick Reply: NO loaner car for warranty work at the dealer???