RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

AC not blowing cold...HELP! I live in HOT Texas!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 02:21 PM
gleighlady
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC not blowing cold...HELP! I live in HOT Texas!

Here's what's happening: 2005 RX330:

**The AC blows, but not cold.
**There is plenty of freon.
**The Compressor kicks in for 5 to 10 seconds and then shuts off.
**The high valve switch does not show that it is getting any power.
**In this model, there is not an AC Relay or Magnetic Clutch Relay.
**ECU Diagnostics flash 00 on the AC panel.

Does anyone have a clue about this?

Thanks!

GL
Old 09-03-10, 05:52 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first thing first, you dont have freon in your car, its R-134a (or possibly something newer)

sounds like an issue with the compressor itself, or maybe a pressure switch. i would take it to the dealer to have them take a peak, there scan tool will be able to read AC codes.
Old 09-03-10, 08:02 PM
phlfly
Driver

did you actually measured pressure in the system?
Buy a freon bottle from the Walmart, find low pressure connection port (it's smaller one, the bigger is high pressure), then connected, set environment temp on bottle gauge, then see what is going to happened.
Old 09-03-10, 08:13 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be blower motor resistor?
Old 09-04-10, 03:50 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

is your A/C light flashing ?
Old 09-04-10, 06:22 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

i would not buy the refrigerant bottle at walmart, if you need that stuff, you have a leak, if you have a leak it needs to be diagnosed and fixed. both of which that bottle cant do.

it needs to be seen be an AC tech
Old 09-07-10, 08:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Any chance your car is still under warranty? If so, take it in. If not a reputable AC place is the way to go.
Old 09-16-10, 03:52 PM
DFWTxRx
Driver School Candidate

Any update on this? I drove my wifes RX330 today and this morning the AC was ice cold.. Just went to pick my daughter up and it is slightly cool. I am going to hook up the AC gauges and check the pressure readings but I just wanted to see what you found out.
Old 09-16-10, 04:50 PM
phlfly
Driver

then of course make sure your temps didn't set something like 80 F.
Old 09-16-10, 04:53 PM
phlfly
Driver

Originally Posted by kiwi
i would not buy the refrigerant bottle at walmart, if you need that stuff, you have a leak, if you have a leak it needs to be diagnosed and fixed. both of which that bottle cant do.

it needs to be seen be an AC tech
I don't see anything wrong to buy an inexpensive bottle of freon and try for yourself first before put out pocket $$$.
Freon is in walmart same freon, there is no difference, even for such "luxury" automobile like Lexus.
Old 09-16-10, 05:01 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phlfly
I don't see anything wrong to buy an inexpensive bottle of freon and try for yourself first before put out pocket $$$.
Freon is in walmart same freon, there is no difference, even for such "luxury" automobile like Lexus.
Pretty sure walmart doesnt sell Freon, as our cars dont use that, they use
R134a.

the reason not to buy it is because you cannot be "low" on refrigerant, if you dont have enough, you obviously have a leak, and therefore should have it properly diagnosed. the can from walmart may make your a/c run for a week or two (depending on size of leak) or even less, then you are back to square one.

since the compressor is turning on for 5- 10 seconds, that indicates that there is refrigerant in the system, and would rule out using your idea of a fix from wally world.

if you want to know if you have refrigerant in your system you can check it with a pen. simply unscrew the cap on the low or high pressure side, and use your pen to push the valve, if you hear a noise of gas escaping, then you have something in there unse pressure (good) if not, you have a leak and need to get it repaired, most likely, replacing a part.

bottom line, use you walmart money towards a real fix
Old 09-16-10, 06:12 PM
phlfly
Driver

Originally Posted by kiwi
Pretty sure walmart doesnt sell Freon, as our cars dont use that, they use
R134a.

the reason not to buy it is because you cannot be "low" on refrigerant, if you dont have enough, you obviously have a leak, and therefore should have it properly diagnosed. the can from walmart may make your a/c run for a week or two (depending on size of leak) or even less, then you are back to square one.

since the compressor is turning on for 5- 10 seconds, that indicates that there is refrigerant in the system, and would rule out using your idea of a fix from wally world.

if you want to know if you have refrigerant in your system you can check it with a pen. simply unscrew the cap on the low or high pressure side, and use your pen to push the valve, if you hear a noise of gas escaping, then you have something in there unse pressure (good) if not, you have a leak and need to get it repaired, most likely, replacing a part.

bottom line, use you walmart money towards a real fix
What?
read this first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorofluorocarbon
then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane
So it's all freon and Walmart sell this staff in the cans with pressure gauge (VA), that you have to adjusted for current temperature condition. Then it turns for 5-10 seconds, it can indication of low or over serviced freon. And I would never touch high pressure fittings without pro-equipment, it can kill you btw.
Old 09-17-10, 08:51 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

looks like you didnt read it either, freon goes in refrigerators, R134a goes in cars, (soon to be replaced by something else.

if you put freon in our cars you will have issues because the seals arent designed for it.
Old 09-18-10, 05:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Plus your every day person can't purchase freon (R12). It's still used in home A/C systems and commercial applications (i.e. buildings). R134a is used in cars. It is a blend unlike freon that has to be fully evacuated to find leaks.

Please leave it to the professionals like kiwi said.
Old 09-18-10, 01:21 PM
phlfly
Driver

Freon is a just trade name or simple refrigerant, that's all. That was my point. How is hard to understand? It doesn't matter how you called it.
Well brakes replacing is also can be left for professionals.
So what is forum for and DIY? Some can do the only tires servicing some can replace an engine in the garage. It's all depended of your craftsman skills and equipment for it.
I've suggested a simple DIY, that a "cave man " can do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...B87NYD0G5RV230

Last edited by phlfly; 09-18-10 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: AC not blowing cold...HELP! I live in HOT Texas!