RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

I found the trunk rattle that has been driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 05:54 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found the trunk rattle that has been driving me crazy

I hope this helps some of you that have been having that infuriating rattle or rubbing sound in the rear. For me it was the Navigation DVD player. The nuts holding the legs down were very very loose and allowed the DVD player to shake pretty good up and down. Hope there is no damage to the DVD player from the undulations.

I tightened them down and rode over some rough road and didnt hear that particular sound anymore. I do have some other squeaks I will hunt down however but they are farrrr less irritating than this one. Hope this helps some of you that may have the same problem.

BTW does anyone have a suggestion for the loose [its tight the way it came from factory but still rattles some] fitting plastic casing around the spare tire underneath the rear? While I was hunting down the killer squeak I tapped on the plastic casing and the screw off part and it make some squeaky kind of sounds. Wondering if this may be a source of annoyance to some as well.
Old 09-03-10, 06:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a dealer installed system. My Player is under the front pass. seat.
Old 09-03-10, 01:43 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZERO5RX330
I hope this helps some of you that have been having that infuriating rattle or rubbing sound in the rear. For me it was the Navigation DVD player. The nuts holding the legs down were very very loose and allowed the DVD player to shake pretty good up and down. Hope there is no damage to the DVD player from the undulations.

I tightened them down and rode over some rough road and didnt hear that particular sound anymore. I do have some other squeaks I will hunt down however but they are farrrr less irritating than this one. Hope this helps some of you that may have the same problem.

BTW does anyone have a suggestion for the loose [its tight the way it came from factory but still rattles some] fitting plastic casing around the spare tire underneath the rear? While I was hunting down the killer squeak I tapped on the plastic casing and the screw off part and it make some squeaky kind of sounds. Wondering if this may be a source of annoyance to some as well.
The spare tire 'protector' does not make any noise that I can hear when I drive. I am sure that a strip (or circle) of foam strategically placed will prevent any noise from the protector.
Old 09-04-10, 04:29 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus114
I have a dealer installed system. My Player is under the front pass. seat.
When you say dealer you mean non-Lexus/aftermarket dealer right?

Originally Posted by pauljcl
The spare tire 'protector' does not make any noise that I can hear when I drive. I am sure that a strip (or circle) of foam strategically placed will prevent any noise from the protector.
Yeah I was thinking along those same lines. I have a nice piece at home Im going to try later today if I hve the time.
Old 09-05-10, 08:17 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Thanks for the heads up. Now, I need to go back there and check it out. That sort of rattle could hose down the laser assembly in the DVD Navigation and expensive to repair.